Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Making Myford tailstock

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
V.Tunç Burak14/12/2021 10:50:05
2 forum posts
Hi,

I came across your forum while researching about Myford. I am an industrial product designer.
I have a workshop on product design, model and prototype in Istanbul/Turkey.
When I first opened my business, I had a 1959 model myford tri-leva.
In time, I completely disassembled the lathe, repaired it and painted it. 
I made some additions to the pedestal it is on. I designed and produced a lighting product suitable for its design. 
The only thing missing is the tailstock for the completion of my lathe. I could not find the original tailstock in Turkey. 
I couldn't get it from other countries either.

As a prototype workshop, I am capable of creating a model of the tailstock. 
I want to make a 3d drawing of the tailstock, produce it on a 3d printer, 
and have it cast with a sand mold. To do what I say; i need technical drawing or 3d model file of original tailstock.
I would be glad if you help me in this regard.

I am sharing the photos of my lathe with you.

Thanks for your help.

V.Tunç Burak

Bronze Design Modeling Prototype

instagram : bronzemodelleme

Photos

https://files.fm/u/zydkzm6pa

Brian H14/12/2021 13:14:31
2312 forum posts
112 photos

I don't know if this helps;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393668757108?hash=item5ba87c8674:g:VHEAAOSwWGBhgVE-

All the best with your lathe.

Brian

peak414/12/2021 13:21:32
2207 forum posts
210 photos

Hello and welcome, I can't help with a formal drawing unfortunately.
Nice clean workshop you have there, and certainly probably warmer than mine at the moment.

All the best
Bill

Howard Lewis14/12/2021 18:21:54
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Welcome!

Tri Leva is not a Myford model type, but a means of changing speed, by using different pulley combination to effect a speed change, rather than doing so by moving the drive belt manually.

Consequently, we do not know if your machine is a ML7 or a later version.

You would ,do well to find the Serial Number, and the more expert on here may well be able to tell the model and when it was manufactured..

You might then be able to find a Tailstock if you post an ad in "Wanted"c on here, in M E W , or try Google. You might find at a machine tool dealer, or on one of the auction sites. They might even be glad to get rid of a loose item like that!

You need to specify which model it is, and to be safe, look ay the various places, Myford manual, or dealer's pictures to see the correct pattern to suit your machine. The ML 7 Tailstock is not the same as the later models .

The centre height will be the same, nominally, but the exact pattern and operation may well differ.

Hope that this is pf some help

Howard

Grizzly bear14/12/2021 19:15:43
337 forum posts
8 photos

Welcome,

Good luck with your search. Howard Lewis (Above) *****

Myford Ltd Home Page (British Engineering at its best) ML7

Myford Ltd Home Page (British Engineering at its best) Super 7

Myford Tailstock for sale in UK | View 43 bargains (for-sale.co.uk)

Bear..........

T.B14/12/2021 20:58:04
54 forum posts
21 photos

Looking at the photos , its a Myford ML7 Tri leva

It also looks like a long bed version to me and that would explain the Super 7 type cross and top slide which are far superior and where often fitted to long bed ML7's

Any Myford 7 series tailstock will fit as the bed dimesions are the same on all models , in fact the Super 7 type tailstock was often fitted to long bed ML7's along with the different top and cross slides as mentioned above so its very likely the missing tailstock was a Super 7 type

V8Eng14/12/2021 21:25:25
1826 forum posts
1 photos

I think the Tri-leva attachment could only be fitted to an ML7 lathe.

duncan webster14/12/2021 21:31:39
5307 forum posts
83 photos

There are several ML7/S7 tailstocks on ebay, prices £150 upwards. Getting postage to Turkey is probably an issue, but you could contact sellers and see what happens

Howard Lewis14/12/2021 22:53:08
7227 forum posts
21 photos

A Tailstock, admittedly, used, can be bought either from a machine tool dealer or on E bay, so it would take less time to unpack, fit and align than to print a patterns, and machine the casting and other components.. .

Howard

Edited By Howard Lewis on 14/12/2021 22:57:27

V.Tunç Burak17/12/2021 09:24:12
2 forum posts

Thanks so much for your responses. I know about second hand tailstock on sale but I have problem about shipment to Turkey. Beside these problems I want to produce this tailstock. If there is a myford owner among you and has the original tailstock, could you please share with me a photo of it? You have to take photos from the top, bottom, from two sides, in front and behind. And mention the dimention of specific points on the photos. Though I can create a 3d program drawing and generate a model. After I complete the production, I can share it with you. Maybe we can help the people which want to produce it like me.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate