By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

How can I convert a 0.5 inch benchtop grinder to take 1inch wheels?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Smith 4707/12/2021 17:38:22
393 forum posts
12 photos

Hello

Is there a way to convert a benchtop grinder with a 0.5 inch spindle to take 1.0inch deburring wheels?

BACKGROUND
A friendly supplier has suggested that I buy a 6 inch benchtop grinder and fit a deburring wheel. He recommended a 3M Scotch-Brite fine deburring wheel.

I rather like the look of the:
"Charnwood BG6 6in Bench Grinder"
 **LINK** (www.charnwood.net/products/product/p6-bench-grinder-20mm-grey-stone-40mm-white-stone-bg6)
...which seems to have a reasonable build quality and to run nice & quiet.

However unfortunately it seems have a spindle diameter of 0.5" (12.7mm) whereas the 3M Scotch-ScotchBrite deburring wheels only seems to come with hole diameters of 25.4 mm (1in) or 76.2 mm (3in).
**LINK** (www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/p/d/b40065315/)

DETAILS
I need to make about 200 of my small steel parts. Fwiw, they are now 32x8xI.2mm grade 430 stainless steel, (although some I will need to cut down to a shorter length). I shall get the steel laser-cut. I have a choice of:

A) Get them cut using a 5-axis laser to create the 45 degree chamfer (which I can finish off by hand) but that will cost £2.30 each.

B) whereas I can get them cut in 2D for just £0.32 each, and then could take them to a machinist to mill the chamfers for another £0.75 each ==> total cost of £1.07 each, but this will involve a significant delay.

Either way, getting someone to deburr the steels seems like a bit of a waste of money for something that only takes a matter of seconds per part... Plus there is much greater flexibility if I decide to change deburring radius.

Any thoughts?

J

Edited By John Smith 47 on 07/12/2021 17:41:07

Martin Connelly07/12/2021 17:46:56
2549 forum posts
235 photos

You can get plastic adaptors to suit most common bores and arbors for this purpose. Try searching for grinding wheel reducing bush.

Martin C

Edited By Martin Connelly on 07/12/2021 17:47:08

Clive Foster07/12/2021 18:05:15
3630 forum posts
128 photos

The last wire wheel I bought for a bench grinder actually came with a selection of filler bushes in the pack. These were top had shaped so the gripping flange was integral with filler bush. Obviously simply supplying filler bushes for larger holes is no great help if the flanges aren't large enough to reach the wheel. That particular wire wheel was softer one with a large number of thin wires. Presumably it needed a large center to give enough circumference to accommodate all the wires.

Clive

Nick Wheeler07/12/2021 18:25:41
1227 forum posts
101 photos

The parts are a no-brainer: pay the £2.30 and get all the work done in one operation. Just taking them to another machinist let alone waiting for them to be done is more expensive than the 'extra' £1.23

As for deburring them, will that really be necessary? The dozen laser cut 6mm thick, 75mm discs(generic Ebay part) for my handrails that arrived this morning don't need any.

A Scotchbrite wheel isn't going to need much of an adapter compared to a grinding wheel...

John Smith 4707/12/2021 20:06:23
393 forum posts
12 photos

OK that sounds reassuring that I definitely should be able to fit the wheel with a 1 inch onto a 0.5 inch spindle. So I shall just go ahead and order the machine and the 3M deburring wheel.

Nicholas - yes, deburring will be crucial, not least because the 45 degree chamfer will create a dangerously sharp edge. But to get clear I shall still need to finish off the grinding by hand (using my diamond hone) in order to get a decent magnetic mating surface on the chamfers.

Further questions:
1. If it turns out that the deburring wheel doesn't come with filler bushes, would I need know exactly how thick (deep) the deburring wheels is in order to order the correct adaptor?

2. [Probably a stupid question but...] will I be able to fit a 20mm thick wheel onto the end where the (white) 40mm thick wheel is? i.e. Do you think that the fatter housing or attachment mechanism could be problematic?

Edited By John Smith 47 on 07/12/2021 20:11:53

Robert Butler07/12/2021 22:33:43
511 forum posts
6 photos

You could of course always ask the "friendly supplier" who having suggested the deburring wheel is perhaps better equipped to provide the definitive answer and if necessary suitable adaptors.

Robert Butler

John Smith 4708/12/2021 12:04:09
393 forum posts
12 photos

Robert - I dunno, he's a busy guy managing a large workshop & I don't want to burn up friendliness credits on something he's probably forgotten... I'll ask some suppliers first.

PS Hmmm.... for another £30 I could get the 8" equivalent - model BG8 - which has a 550w rather than 250w motor (fwiw, it also has a slightly larger spindle - 5/8inch...)

i.e. Do you think 6" / 250w would suffice for deburring?

Any firm recommendations before I take the plunge?

Edited By John Smith 47 on 08/12/2021 12:27:42

jimmy b08/12/2021 17:03:01
857 forum posts
45 photos

"50w will not be much use, go for the 550w.

I just made up ally bushings for my fibre wheels.

Jim

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate