Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Sieg SC4 change gears

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ricardo30/10/2021 14:33:54
18 forum posts
4 photos

I need to cut a 20TPI left hand thread with my Sieg SC4 lathe.

I have the appropriate gears in place and moved "A" to the left so that the lead screw goes in reverse.

However I am unable to get the AB gears to mesh as the gear to the right of the picture is in the way.

**LINK**

Can this be removed, if so how please, or am I missing something!

This is my first attempt at changing gears and cutting a thread. Maybe not ideal to have to be a left hand one but it has to be.

Help much appreciated

Richard

AndrewD30/10/2021 14:53:36
19 forum posts
9 photos

There should be (at least there is on mine) two flats on the stud so you can unscrew the whole thing. From memory you need a 13mm spanner.

Edited By AndrewD on 30/10/2021 15:06:27

JasonB30/10/2021 15:14:40
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

As well as being able to loosen the studs so they can be slid along the banjo you can also loosen the banjo where it clamps around the lead screw boss which will help with getting the gears to mesh you can see the cap head screw for this far right of picture

Ricardo30/10/2021 16:01:26
18 forum posts
4 photos

Andrew, that picture is very helpful and almost answers the question. There are 2 small allen screws top and bottom on mine, which I assume lock it in place, presumably these have to come out 1st ?

thanks for your advise

Richard

AndrewD30/10/2021 16:14:25
19 forum posts
9 photos

You don't need to touch those. I think all they do is hold in the threaded block that the above shaft screws into. You can see the back of it if you take the top cover off. Anyway, it's a bit fiddly depending on how long your spanner is because the lead screw can get in the way but the whole assembly simply unscrews.

Howard Lewis30/10/2021 16:36:11
7227 forum posts
21 photos

The Operator's manual should show you how to set the mesh of the gears.

You have to be able to move the studs along the banjo, and swing the banjo around t's mounting.

This will allow you to set the mesh of the gears. Too little will cause wear and noise, too much will be noisy and may reduce accuracy and quality of finish (due to gears rattling )

To set the backlash, run a sheet of paper about 0.003 (0.075 mm) thick into the mesh and then clamp up.

Probably easier to swing the banjo first to set the backlash on the first mesh, and then to move the studs to set the backlash on the other gears.

Howard

Ricardo30/10/2021 19:41:11
18 forum posts
4 photos

Well, I think the gear change is all OK.

Many thanks

Richard

gear20.jpg

Howard Lewis31/10/2021 14:39:41
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Ricardo,

You have PMs in your In Box

Howard

ega31/10/2021 17:06:20
2805 forum posts
219 photos

Interesting that Sieg have apparently formed the flat in the first photo in a lathe.

Bazyle01/11/2021 23:25:24
6956 forum posts
229 photos
Posted by ega on 31/10/2021 17:06:20:

Interesting that Sieg have apparently formed the flat in the first photo in a lathe.

I imagine it is a cnc lathe with powered tooling coming in at the side.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate