By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Hello from Brisbane, Australia

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Rodney Nissen09/10/2021 12:45:25
6 forum posts

I'm a wannabee model engineer, ever since I read Neville Shute's "Trustee from the Toolroom" in school.!!! I went to sea as a Marine Engineer initially in Australia and then in the UK.

I have a good workshop (albeit very untidy) set up with lathe and vertical mill, but so far only used it on occasion for work stuff as I have my own business working in the industrial combustion field.

All the best,

Rodney

Brian H09/10/2021 13:25:01
2312 forum posts
112 photos

Hi Rodney and welcome to the forum. I don't think the forum allows people in if they have a tidy workshop!

So, what sort of model engineering are you interested in? perhaps a marine triple expansion engine?

Brian

Rodney Nissen09/10/2021 14:10:21
6 forum posts

Hello Brian....my middle name too!!

Ah ......yes steam

LORD, Thou hast made this world below the shadow of a dream,

An taught by time, I tak it so......exceptin always STEAM.......

Cant beat Rudyard. He had a poem for anything worth it.

When I went to sea, I was on steam turbines, but we had to answer questions at the DOT/ BOT exams on steam reciprocating. Later on I was on motorships (diesels) and lots of Doxford opposed piston engines. However they had the steam operated Weirs feed pump on the auxy boilers. I became an expert on these. I would love to make a model of one of these. I contacted Weirs in Scotland years ago and they said they would send me drawings, Alas they never arrived.

I did buy a book on miniature internal combustion engines but thats maybe running before I can walk.

All the best

Brian H09/10/2021 15:15:20
2312 forum posts
112 photos

Hello Rodney, you may be interested in this;

https://modelengineeringwebsite.com/Weir_pump.html

All the best,

Brian

Rodney Nissen10/10/2021 13:02:27
6 forum posts

Thanks for that Brian.

I'll try contacting Weirs again for a drawing. They closed their Cathcart works in 2006, but there is still a Weirs Group around.

Re the pump. When joining a ship, you could tell how well the pump had been maintained by the appearance of hammer marks on the valve chest end covers. The steam shuttle valve inside when set up and adjusted properly used to oscillate back and forth smoothly without hitting the end covers or sticking. Hammer marks were a telltale that the valve was sticking.

John Olsen11/10/2021 06:04:48
1294 forum posts
108 photos
1 articles

Most of the Weir pumps had Monel metal piston rods. I have about four inches cut from one that had been quite badly seized. I also have a copy of their catalogue somewhere, I wonder where that is?

John

Rodney Nissen11/10/2021 06:10:33
6 forum posts

I have a manual for an old horizontal Worthington pump "somewhere too". When I find it, will scan it and then the electronic copy will be available forever!!!

Paul Lousick11/10/2021 06:39:35
2276 forum posts
801 photos

Hello Rodney (from Paul in Sydney) Welcome to the forum.

I believe that Blackgates Engineering, UK may sell castings for model Weir pumps as shown in this video.

**LINK**

Rodney Nissen11/10/2021 06:50:36
6 forum posts

Looks good Paul. Thanks for that.

Rodney

Paul Lousick11/10/2021 09:22:38
2276 forum posts
801 photos

If you decide to make one, keep us updated. I have already made some small steam engines and a 6" traction engine and a Weir type pump is in the bucket list.

Cheers, Paul

Rodney Nissen11/10/2021 11:04:19
6 forum posts

How do you run your engines Paul? Have you a boiler or steam supply? Or compressed air?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate