Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Charatan motors

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Boldminer06/10/2021 09:54:36
41 forum posts
13 photos

Can anyone please give a definitive answer as to what motors I should use for this loco and tell me where they can be purchased. I've spent too much time on the internet going around in circles and getting totally confused in the process,many thanks,

Colin

Weary06/10/2021 11:40:34
421 forum posts
1 photos

Maybe worth also posting and posing your question on Model Engineering Clearing House? Suggest using 'General Chat' section.

From memory one of the regular posting members is (was?) building one, and another was basing a model on the Charlatan design. Some have experience from club locos too.

Regards,

Phil

Trevor Drabble06/10/2021 12:06:05
339 forum posts
7 photos

Don't know this particular loco , but M'tronics do a selection of loco motors and matching controllers. Trevor

Boldminer07/10/2021 01:39:26
41 forum posts
13 photos

Sorry about the typo, the title should read....... Charlatan Motors

Michael Gilligan07/10/2021 07:12:47
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

Have a look at the fifth post on this thread, Colin : **LINK**

https://forum.gl5.org/viewtopic.php?t=133

I can’t vouch for its accuracy, but it seems to be stated with confidence,

MichaelG.

[ my own knowledge of the subject is near-zero ]

Edit: __ This may [or may not] be the type of motor first specified:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/lucas-cooling-fan-motor-166387419

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 07/10/2021 07:21:16

Dave Smith 1407/10/2021 07:45:03
222 forum posts
48 photos

Ron Laden's Class 22 build thread will help you a lot as it discusses the choice of motors, batteries etc.

Class 22 build

Also look at the photos of this Charalatan Station Road Steam had for sale. It shows how the drive train is arranged.

Station Road Steam 08

Trevor Drabble07/10/2021 07:53:58
339 forum posts
7 photos

Colin , l have 2 off Smith's car heater motors available , and can supply details if you're interested. Trevor.

Boldminer13/10/2021 01:58:39
41 forum posts
13 photos

First of all I must appologise to all who took the time and trouble to reply to my query, it appears that my first message of thanks is somewhere in the ether. Thank you Trevor for your kind offer of the two motors you have but following Daves link to the class 22 build I found exactly what I was looking for. Looking on the internet I discovered that I could buy them here in Thailand at a ridiculously low price so 4 have been ordered. I built a small dual gauge track here in Phuket for the enjoyment of the local kids ( me being the biggest ) and entertain them most Sunday afternoons. Presently I am down to my last bucketful of coal and am now using barbeque charcoal to fire the engines but have you ever tried feeding strawberries to a donkey, they're insatiable.

I have discovered a source of steam coal not too far away on the mainland but because of covid restrictions we are unable to leave the island hence the need for the Charlatan. So once again thanks to all

Regards, Colin

Edited By Boldminer on 13/10/2021 01:59:14

Edited By Boldminer on 13/10/2021 02:00:36

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate