Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Sizing a Burner

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Matt Stevens 123/09/2021 20:35:50
105 forum posts
17 photos

So my boiler is close to being finished! See pic below...

I would like to get a gas burner setup for this. Whilst the boiler is designed for coal, I can't help but feel gas will be so much more controllable and cleaner.

Having looked at the market, there isn't so many round burners available with the biggest I can find being 2& 5/8" diameter. Getting that and the jets, piping, canister valve etc is not the cheapest setup and so I want to get it right. The trouble is, I have no idea how much heat I need and if this is going to be plenty, just enough or not enough at all!

I will be running Stuart Models (Biggest to date is a twin Victoria, but I can see doing a major beam in the future) and would like to think this boiler is sufficient for any of those at 6" diameter and 13" tall (plus chimney) with the inside of the firebox being around 4.75" diameter.

How do I calculate what I need? OR Can you give me confidence that what I am planning will be sufficient?

Link below to burner in question...Burner

matts boiler sep 21.jpg

Keith Hale24/09/2021 09:00:53
334 forum posts
1 photos

Hi Matt

See personal message.

Keith

Mike Hurley24/09/2021 09:29:41
530 forum posts
89 photos

Just to say it looks a really nice piece of work Matt

regards, Mike

noel shelley24/09/2021 09:52:32
2308 forum posts
33 photos

I never quite got round to it but had intended to make one. VERY careful dismanteling of the burners from the old super ser gas room heaters will provide 3 bits of the ceramic this you use cut to size and sealed with air setting ceramic cement into the steel box be it round or any shape you want. You then provide a burner jet of a size that experiment will show to be right. I assume you know what a commercial unit looks like so you have a good guide. You have built a beautiful boiler -- so making the burner should to you be simple ! PM me if you want to talk about the idea. Good luck Noel.

Brian John03/10/2021 13:31:19
1487 forum posts
582 photos

Is there any reason you built a vertical rather than a horizontal boiler ? It does look nice.

Matt Stevens 103/10/2021 21:12:24
105 forum posts
17 photos
Posted by Brian John on 03/10/2021 13:31:19:

Is there any reason you built a vertical rather than a horizontal boiler ? It does look nice.

That is what i had plans for

I assume there is little disadvantage....Other than identifying a suitable burner!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate