Sherline lathe

Where to buy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
geoff walker 120/08/2021 14:10:29
521 forum posts
217 photos

Hi All,

I've managed to get some cash together so decided to buy a house lathe for the winter months

A Sherline fits my requirements, no rack feed but otherwise what I am looking for.

So where to buy, has anyone any personal experience of buying a new sherline lathe that they would like to share?

Thanks geoff

LADmachining20/08/2021 14:40:33
126 forum posts
11 photos

I bought my Sherline mill nearly 20 years ago from Millhill Supplies when they were near Wallingford, Oxon. Haven't had any experience of the current incarnation of Millhill Supplies.

Very happy with the machine, it is done everything I have asked of it over the years, and not had any problems with it. Could do with more spindle to table height at times, but that is to be expected on a small benchtop mill.

Edited By LADmachining on 20/08/2021 14:41:00

Trevor Drabble20/08/2021 14:57:13
339 forum posts
7 photos

You may also wish to consider Peatol Lathes in Birmingham , or even Cowells if you have a small lottery win .

mgnbuk20/08/2021 17:38:42
1394 forum posts
103 photos

If a used imperial long bed deluxe model with a lot of accessories might be of interest, I have been thinking of selling mine.

I can itemise all the bits if you are interested, but off the top of my head there is the milling column, milling vice, rack indexing unit, screwcutting gear set, compound slide. fixed steady, spindle & tailstock drill chucks, 3 & 4 jaw chucks + face plate.

It was bought used & there are some marks on the bed near the chuck where the original owner used a hacksaw to "part off" without using a bed protector, but otherwise it is OK - not mint, but quite useable. I got it as a 40th birthday present (I'm now 61 !) & have not used it much, particularly in the last several years hence thinking it needs to find a new home.

Nigel B.

geoff walker 121/08/2021 09:30:48
521 forum posts
217 photos

Hi Gents,

Thanks for the replies, Millhill supplies is a useful link.

Nigel thanks for the offer but on this occasion I have decided to buy new, never owned a brand new lathe, now is the time.

Cheers Geoff

SillyOldDuffer21/08/2021 11:09:57
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

Probably not what Geoff wants but Denford Ltd are the other UK supplier. The difference seems to be the Denford machines are safety protected for educational CNC; fully shielded and computerised etc.

The cheapest way of buying American goods used to be buying on holiday and bringing them back as hand-luggage. May not be possible now airport security is so careful about terrorism.

Also possible to buy Sherline from various European suppliers. I doubt there's any advantage - doing so would lose UK consumer protection and be liable to customs duty and VAT. Not keen to get into paperwork aggro myself, easier to let an importer like Millhill sort it out behind the scenes.

I'm theorising: anyone actually imported anything expensive themselves this year?

Dave

Roderick Jenkins21/08/2021 12:40:34
2376 forum posts
800 photos

I bought a high speed pulley set for my Denford/Sherline mill recently from Millhill. They were pleasant and efficient to deal with over the phone.

Rod

geoff walker 131/08/2021 13:28:24
521 forum posts
217 photos

Hi All,

A quick update and a question.

But first thanks to Rod and Dave, I fully agree with them regarding Millhill supplies, great service, easy to deal with.

New lathe below, initial impressions very favourable, excellent build quality and the little use I've had, enjoyed very much. Looking forward to equipping with additional tooling, chucks etc.

The question. Is there such a thing as a drill chuck arbour with an MT0 taper to a JT1 taper. I can't find one anywhere, does this size exist?

20210831_065524 (2).jpg

thanks Geoff

Edited By geoff walker 1 on 31/08/2021 13:32:49

Speedy Builder531/08/2021 14:11:55
2878 forum posts
248 photos

Well Geoff, there is your first project ! Make you feel good when you have made one.

Bob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate