Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Needle roller shaft

shaft preparation

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bazyle12/07/2020 12:45:06
6956 forum posts
229 photos

Is plain silver steel - unhardened but needing turn/grind to profile - adequate hardness for a needle roller shaft? I don't want to have an inner sleeve as it makes the shaft thin. Hardening would risk distortion.

A bit more messy would be plain steel, case harden the journal part then finnish turn the rest using the bearing itself as part of the support for the process.

suggestions?

Hopper12/07/2020 13:02:54
7881 forum posts
397 photos

Depends on the application. Power. RPM. Load. Temperature. And how long you want it to last. Without hardening it wont last long under any serious loading. Usually the shaft is hardened and ground.

You might do better with Oilite bushes on a plain shaft.

Edited By Hopper on 12/07/2020 13:04:08

Ady112/07/2020 15:21:34
6137 forum posts
893 photos

case hardening best no doubt, but a pain to do right

plunge in vertically?

GL

old mart12/07/2020 15:27:31
4655 forum posts
304 photos

I restored a gearbox shaft with a sleeve and INA needle roller bearing, the wall thickness of the sleeve was under 1mm. Everything depends on your shaft diameter. Case hardened steel would have to be ground to finished size before using.

HOWARDT12/07/2020 15:58:13
1081 forum posts
39 photos

Case harden or induction harden, HRc 58-64, ground finish 1.6Ra max, ISO h5 tolerance. What you can get away with depends on use, time, temperature, lubrication. A soft shaft with no lubrication under reasonable load may well fret, too loose a fit may destroy both the bearing and shaft in quick time. A slow rotating speed on a loose soft shaft with grease lubrication may last a lifetime. Suck and see if there is nothing disastrous going to occur. Its a learning curve.

Chris Evans 612/07/2020 19:38:32
2156 forum posts

Or try the bearing suppliers for "Linier Shafting" (spelling ?) this is case hardened and centerless ground rod.

Howard Lewis12/07/2020 21:11:32
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Speedy Sleeves are very thin stainless stel sleeves intended to slip over a shaft to replace the area worn by a lip seal.

I can see no reason why one could not be used as the inner race for a needle roller.

The important thing, if the load is fluctuating, that there is not an integer ratio between the shaft diameter and that of each of the rollers. Otherwise the load will be applied to the shaft in the same place by each roller,causing brinelling. It shortens shaft life quite rapidly!

Howard

Bazyle12/07/2020 21:51:55
6956 forum posts
229 photos

Thanks for the suggestions. It seems sleeves are four times the cost of the bearing itself and 2mm thick if available at all in the required size.

Might try low profile ball bearings though only found metric so need a sleeve on teh outside instead but that is low tech.

Hopper13/07/2020 02:24:53
7881 forum posts
397 photos

Almost all ball and roller bearings are metric these days

Imperials are "specials" and priced accordingly.

vintage engineer13/07/2020 09:50:27
293 forum posts
1 photos

Imperial bearings are just as readily available as metric bearings. I have no trouble getting them and I am sure the Americans haven't yet switched to metric?

Posted by Hopper on 13/07/2020 02:24:53:

Almost all ball and roller bearings are metric these days

Imperials are "specials" and priced accordingly.

Hopper13/07/2020 11:35:23
7881 forum posts
397 photos

I think you'll find metric has been industry standard for some years and imperial sizes declining even in the US.

I wish I could find 1/4" x 1/4" big end rollers for my Big Port AJS. Cutting down Harley rollers one by one can be a pain.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate