Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Turret drill

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Oily Rag04/12/2019 19:34:51
550 forum posts
190 photos

motor plate.jpgrear view.jpgspindle speed chart.jpgturret 2.jpgturret 1.jpg

Anybody know anything about these turret drilling machines? A friend asked me if I wanted it and although the workshop is pretty full I am tempted to make some room for it. I believe this may have been made by Metabo a Spanish machine tool company that also built clones of the Deckel FP1,and Thiel type mills. It has no 'moveable' table but could be adapted for a bolt on x-y table as long as it was low enough. It is well built and sturdy and too good to scrap out, plus it has a goodly collection of tapping heads (not the retainer plate of the one tapping head on the turret currently)

John Reese05/12/2019 03:31:49
1071 forum posts

It looks like a clone of the US made Burgmaster.

Hopper05/12/2019 10:13:13
7881 forum posts
397 photos

It does not look rigid enough to use for milling, if that is why you are considering an xy table.

But could be handy if you had large numbers of holes to drill and tap etc. Otherwise, hard to see any great advantage over a regular drill press.

Tis pretty neat though.

Oily Rag05/12/2019 12:10:07
550 forum posts
190 photos

Hopper:

Wouldn't use it for milling as I recognise there is little sideways support in what is essentially a drill, I already have an Aciera F3 and a Bridgeport for milling so no worries there! It is an interesting 'Production' set up as opposed to a 'gang' of bench drills which is the more normal approach to multi op drilling and taping. The x-y table was more to do with an attempt to get some accuracy in co-ordinate drilling of multiple holes - but on second thoughts it is probably easier to 'mark out' and pick up centre spots. I'm considering using it for crankcase drilling and tapping, which will need a minimum of 12, and upto 24 holes drilled and tapped, with corresponding clearance holes and spot facing.

One area which looks to be well thought out is the depth stop system for each individual tool station, as indexing the head turret also indexes a stop bar. The other bit of trick design seems to be that the turret head is programmable for speeds as it goes from station to station - but note that stations have explicit speed ranges.

Do you have any information on the Burgmaster that you quote John? Looked on the usual Lathes dot UK site but neither the Manamas nor the Burgmaster are listed.

old mart05/12/2019 22:02:56
4655 forum posts
304 photos

I have seen one before, but cannot remember where, one of the frustrations of getting old.

Hopper06/12/2019 00:31:11
7881 forum posts
397 photos

Ah. Sounds ideal for your crankcase drilling if you have the space for it in your workshop. You can always sell it off if you get sick of tripping over it. ( LOL I have half a shedful of those machines.)

mgnbuk06/12/2019 13:36:22
1394 forum posts
103 photos

Burgmaster went under in 1986. There is a history of the company on line if you do a bit of light Googling. Not seen a Spanish copy before, though the online history says that Burgmaster did a licencing arrangement with Yamasaki (Mazak) that seemed to hasten their demise.

There was a UK importer / agent. I can't recall the company name, but did work with them around 1983/84, when my previous employer worked with them to make one into a CNC drilling machine. They did the mechanical mods (ballscrew to replace the star handle feed & an X-Y table, all mounted on a fabricated base. We supplied the electrics & a Heidenhain TNC131 point-to-point control. The machine went to a pneumatic valve manufacturer in southern Scotland. IIRC there was talk of doing another, but it didn't come to anything. On the original machine the turret index was achieved by driving the head assembly upwards until a fixed bar on the frame depressed a lever on the head. This diverted the motor power to an index mechanism to rotate the head one station. On the CNC version the head was retracted to theZ axis reference position & an M-code controlled solenoid pressed the index device on the head. There was no turret position feedback, so the programmer had to keep track of where the turret was & add a number of M-code calls at the end of the program to skip through un-used stations to return the first tool to position.

Nigel B

Oily Rag06/12/2019 16:21:57
550 forum posts
190 photos

Old Mart:

Yep! I know the feeling, I suffer from the same all the time - usually it is 'where have I left my glasses?'

Nigel:

Thanks for the information - this machine was originally supplied by - DEC (Coventry) Ltd, of Manor Road, Atherstone. I do not know if they were the importers or just agents of the importers. I did find a couple of references to Masanas on the 'tinterweb' which showed a similar machine for sale in Spain (apparently it's a model TR1). They look to have been building these at least as the late 1990's. This one dates from 1987. On the Youtube site there is a Burgmaster which has been adapted onto, what looks like, a Bridgeport base (replacing the turret head of the milling machine) to provide it with a very adaptable x - y co-ordinate table facility. It is shown drilling the end plate of a steam tube boiler assembly!

The more I look at it the more I fancy 'that it will come in useful one day' - now where have I heard that before??

edited spelling

Edited By Oily Rag on 06/12/2019 16:23:18

p haley01/05/2021 10:42:03
1 forum posts

Hello

I can offer you help

[email protected]

1986.started that dates me !!!

U got the masana as a burg replacement . But later we had the shangnong as spares replacement

For

Limited parts ..but scrapped all when other director passed away

Some years past now

But saying all this not heard from my supplier in Taiwan for some 5 years now. ..they metric and mod to inch..

Springs still got

All for now

PS

NEVER Remove spring without guidance

David Colwill02/05/2021 13:38:43
782 forum posts
40 photos

Tom Lipton has a Burgmaster and did a short video on it.

David.

Ps I too like the look of these and don't quite have the space for one!

Nigel Graham 203/05/2021 13:39:48
3293 forum posts
112 photos

I forget the make but recall using a very similar machine many years ago at work, for drilling a matrix of some hundred tiny holes in each one of batches of plates for vacuum-tables on screen-printing machines.

The plates were not tapped though I think the machine had a tapping function or small tapping-head. They were though counter-drilled from the underside for perhaps three-quarter depth, to reduce air-flow loss. We did not use a co-ordinate table but drill-jigs probably made on a milling-machine, and fitted with lots and lots of hardened drill-bushes.

These are neat and effective machines, and best used with simple co-ordinate tables, jigs or jig-setting.

Michael Gilligan03/05/2021 17:50:08
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by David Colwill on 02/05/2021 13:38:43:

Tom Lipton has a Burgmaster and did a short video on it.

[…]

David.

Ps I too like the look of these and don't quite have the space for one!

Looks a great little machine at that size yes

I did wonder whether he would have his eye poked by the tool at 2 o’clock though !

MichaelG.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate