Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

I cannot disassemble the X axis lead screw

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
choochoo_baloo13/11/2019 17:03:54
282 forum posts
67 photos

A Newby question please:

I’m stripping and cleaning up my Senior M1 mill. But I cannot seem to disassemble the pictured lead screw bush/bracket assembly.

I identified what I think is a taper pin through the steel collar - see close up.

obviously being very careful to hit the narrower end, nothing is budging and even managed to bend the brass drift...!!

To save any possible damage I’ve stopped to ask one of your chaps fir suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Senior-pin

Senior_xlead

Edited By choochoo_baloo on 13/11/2019 17:05:17

mechman4813/11/2019 17:23:41
2947 forum posts
468 photos

Use a steel pin punch, obviously you are punching the thinner end but if the taper pin has sheared then the collar well may have rotated slightly so is out of alignment with the through hole in which case you might try drilling the pin out from both sides of the collar with appropriate size drills. If it has sheared then you need to look at why/ what caused it to shear ( no intentional granny & eggs scenario )

George

John Haine13/11/2019 17:49:11
5563 forum posts
322 photos

Has it got power feed? If not surely unlikely to shear?

Bazyle13/11/2019 17:51:16
6956 forum posts
229 photos

Don't have a Senior but shouldn't all the other bits the other side of the bracket come off? Normally they are all adjustable to take up the slack so do come off. The bit you are pointing to is normally never meant to come apart again, otherwise they would have used a screw.

choochoo_baloo13/11/2019 18:19:28
282 forum posts
67 photos

Thanks chaps.

I was thinking ‘this probs is meant to stay together’, hence I stopped and sought advice.

Please confirm - will these few drift blows, with a pein hammer, have likely distorted/gouged the internals? Being a novice, I’ve no idea how delicate this sort of assembly is.

————

Below is the top down view of saddle for John Haine. Yes; the power feed engages that dog clutch bronze thingy.

13900f97-214f-4233-a353-27f04e451f85.jpeg

mark smith 2013/11/2019 18:40:00
682 forum posts
337 photos

I agree with Bazyle, you would only really take that bit apart if you were fitting a new leadscrew.

old mart13/11/2019 19:21:39
4655 forum posts
304 photos

Why dont you start at the handle end.

I removed that taper pin on the one I was working on simply because I was increasing the length of the leadscrew thread, otherwise I would have left it alone. The pinned part needs supporting while you punch the pin out, just hitting the small end of the pin risks bending the leadscrew.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate