Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Boring bar

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul Cheffings21/10/2019 14:29:24
3 forum posts
1 photos

Hi

For years my father has been building engines and repairing clocks as a hobby. Unfortunately he now has Alzheimers and I have been trying to help him finish an engine he started a few years ago.

I have managed to break the insert in a boring bar and wondered if anyone might know where I can obtain a new insert from.

The boring bar has the following number on it UJ 8-803-F-R, the insert is triangular, held in with a very small Torx screw. Measuring the size of the recess I think it would be around 5.5mm across.

I haven't been able to find any information by searching for the reference number on the internet.

Below is a photo of the boring bar. The key is there to stop it rolling so that the number is visible.boringbar.jpeg

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

old mart21/10/2019 16:56:31
4655 forum posts
304 photos

I hope you have saved the bits of the broken insert. These charts may be of help in identifying the exact type.

**LINK**

Paul Cheffings21/10/2019 17:11:55
3 forum posts
1 photos

Hi

Unfortunately not as it disappeared and the piece left in the holder was so small you wouldn't be able to get any information from it.

Cheers

Paul

David Standing 121/10/2019 17:19:13
1297 forum posts
50 photos

That appears to be a Komet boring bar.

Take a look at the UJ R (RH) bars and inserts at the bottom of page 306 on the attachment:

**LINK**

old mart21/10/2019 19:10:34
4655 forum posts
304 photos

It is very likely, that the cost of replacement inserts for this bar would far exceed the price of a cheap Chinese bar and inserts.

**LINK**

mechman4821/10/2019 19:19:17
2947 forum posts
468 photos

I have a couple of those boring bars & inserts from the co. in the link as shown in 'Old mart's post, worth the money, & work well.

George.

Ian P21/10/2019 19:30:34
2747 forum posts
123 photos

I have the identical Komet bar (8mm OD) which I bought with ten inserts in 1980something. The original Komet inserts have long since gone and whilst I have fitted other makes none have ever performed as well as the originals and the bar now just sits in a drawer.

I cannot remember the part number for the tiny triangular tips I found, Jenny at JB tooling gave me one as a sample to try so it might be worth contacting her.

Ian P

Paul Cheffings21/10/2019 21:56:22
3 forum posts
1 photos

Hi

Thanks to all who have replied. It looks like one of the cheap Chinese boring bars maybe the way to go as although I now know which insert I need I cannot find anywhere that actually sells them.

Cheers

Paul

Howard Lewis21/10/2019 22:03:34
7227 forum posts
21 photos

If you cannot obtain inserts for your bar, at a reasonable price:

Check the dimensions of your bar, and then contact Jenny Blackwell at JB Cutting Tools. She will be able to fix you up with something suitable, no doubt.

Howard

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate