By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Replacement Milling Machine

Warco VMC Vario vs Warco Super Major Vario (or similar)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
FullaFlava06/09/2019 08:21:41
30 forum posts
52 photos

I have an older version Warco VMC, with a self fitted DRO but no power feeds an doing some milling recently really flared up an elbow injury, as well as the embuggerance of changing belts between wiggling and drilling.

Fitting a power feed to mine is a non starter as I know the align unit doesn’t fit. I know I ‘could’ make one but that takes the time and opportunity for making other things. I obviously could also self fit a 3 phase motor and VFD.

Looking at the Warco site they have a VMC, VFD installed unit including DRO and power feeds for circa £3800.

The Super Major Vario similarly optioned in around the same price, give or take.

The major has a bigger capacity size wise, despite being the same size motor.

If I was to change do you think the major would prove the better machine, am I missing something?

Vic06/09/2019 08:46:15
3453 forum posts
23 photos

I’ve personally only used knee mills so I think would struggle at first to use a mill without a knee like the super major.

If you can get over this then either mill should work for you. If it were me I’d buy another knee mill though. Please let us know how you get on once you have it. We like machine reviews.

not done it yet06/09/2019 10:52:31
7517 forum posts
20 photos

About the only advantage of a non-knee machine is that the work is always at the same height, as far as I can see!

No doubt there will be others, but I like the knee machines - have two, one with quill and one without.

Another advantage with a knee machine might be that the head can often be raised (on many of these machines) if extra headspace is needed….

I always say 'better the devil you know...' so I would prolly fit that 3 phase motor and VFD - and make two power feeds (at the same time).

Question I would ask myself would be: 'What are the benefits for spending three grand?'

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate