Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Hello

Myford

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
William Roocroft02/09/2019 19:22:36
1 forum posts

Hi everyone. I have just got myself a myford ml7.

I think I have a problem. When running an ungeared speed the spindle stops but the pulleys keep going.

peak402/09/2019 23:02:36
2207 forum posts
210 photos

If I understand you correctly, the lathe runs OK in back gear, i.e. the lowest speeds, but there's no drive to the spindle in a high speed setup.

I've just found a copy of the manual, there should  be an Allen bolt or similar to key the two headstock gears together. It's described in the manual as "a sliding key, locked in position by means of a cap head screw."

The bullwheel is the largest gear in the headstock. It needs engaging for direct drive. I don't have an ML7  but I just thought I'd reply so you weren't feeling left out.

Welcome to a friendly and helpful corner of the internet.

Bill

Edited By peak4 on 02/09/2019 23:07:29

Edited By peak4 on 02/09/2019 23:22:03

John Olsen02/09/2019 23:24:29
1294 forum posts
108 photos
1 articles

AS Bill says, there is a little sliding catch on the bull wheel which is held in place with an allan screw. To engage it, you need to loosen the allan screw, slide the catch inwards to engage with the gear teeth on the smaller wheel, then tighten the screw again. You need an Allan key with a very short leg for this, eg cut away most of the smaller leg of the Allan key so it will reach in Ok

John

Diogenes03/09/2019 08:21:21
61 forum posts
6 photos

Exactly what these two gentlemen say - the head of the allen key is located on one of the two ribs cast into the face of the bull-wheel on the side closest to the chuck - it should be clearly visible.

When running in back-gear it's important to ensure that you lubricate the pulley bearing - there should be an oil-nipple on the "chuck-side"t face of the pulley for this purpose. This bearing doesn't get any lubrication from any other part of the system.

Lambton03/09/2019 09:29:28
694 forum posts
2 photos

William,

Get yourself a Myford manual for your machine. It will tell you all that you need to know to get started with the lathe.

Eric

Neil Wyatt03/09/2019 12:53:48
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

Hi William,

Welcome to the forum.

As has been mentioned on most back-geared lathes you have to unlock geared drive and lock ungeared drive (and vice versa).

Obviously running with both drives locked is not recommended...

Neil

Howard Lewis03/09/2019 18:24:32
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Hi William, Welcome.

You will find a lot of good advice on here, covering many subjects.

As a doom sayer, trying to run with Backgear engaged and the pulley locked, is going to do some damage to something. Either the Mandrel will be scored, if the Backgear wins the contest, or the gears are likely to loose a tooth or two. Whichever; BAD news.

For the same reason, do not engage Backgear to lock the spindle when removing a chuck. A friend used to do this on his ML4. I had to make him more than one replacement gears, until he learned not to do it!

Howard

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate