Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

soldering brass

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Roger Hulett27/05/2019 16:41:45
131 forum posts
9 photos

I am beginning to assemble my brass,home made carburettor. I have faithfully copied the original. It is necessary to solder the parts together. However, some parts have to be soldered to other parts that have already been soldered. Is there a technique for keeping the old parts cool whilst heating up adjacent parts for soldering. The parts can not be soldered simultaneously.

Ian P27/05/2019 17:05:34
2747 forum posts
123 photos

Usual method is to use two or more solders with different melting temperatures, (use the higher temp one first)

Ian P

Jeff Dayman27/05/2019 17:16:43
2356 forum posts
47 photos

You can use the old trick of wrapping the end you want to keep cool in a wet rag, or embed it in a cold raw potato.

Sometimes just clamping on a hemostat or attaching a piece of copper sheet with an alligator clip will do.

Good luck!

Edited By Jeff Dayman on 27/05/2019 17:17:38

Roger Hulett30/05/2019 15:46:12
131 forum posts
9 photos

Further to this topic, adjacent to the item being soldered there is a threaded section. Obviously I don't want to let the solder run into this area. Is there an anti flux,something that prevents the solder running into the threads..... Vaseline,grinding paste,butter, 3 in i oil ?

Former Member30/05/2019 16:07:06
1329 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

BC Prof30/05/2019 16:25:57
182 forum posts
1 photos

If its silver solder I use either "lead" from a pencil of Tippex correction fluid . Never tried it for soft solder

Brian C

John Billard 130/05/2019 18:01:53
111 forum posts

Tippex works for soft solder.

John B

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate