Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Choosing...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
RevStew19/11/2018 18:08:23
87 forum posts

Well people, I'm all of a dither.

Money burning a hole and I want to crack on and build something, 3 1/2 gauge maximum. My local track has that as their smallest gauge.

I love Ayesha, but being 6 feet 3 and 18 stone (and looking to loose two stone) I think she'd have trouble pulling me about. I'm mainly looking to pull either me, or 1 other pax.

I like the 'early' looking locos in 3 1/2 Northumbrian, Cantubury Lamb, Rainhill etc, but again, maybe a big ask for a little machine.

I like Maisie, but not for the beginner? But then, if I'm pouring time and money, it may as well be in a more capable loco?

Penny for your thoughts?

Edited By RevStew on 19/11/2018 18:09:19

Former Member19/11/2018 18:22:22
1329 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

JasonB19/11/2018 18:25:23
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

I' m not a Loco man but the early engines may just spin their single driven wheels and certainly need added balast for all but the feather weights.

Don't know if there are any narrow gauge loco designs in 3.5" as that will give you a bigger loco for the same track width.

SillyOldDuffer19/11/2018 18:28:30
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

I sympathise. I used to eat whatever I wanted and stay skinny. It didn't last! Now I appear to be heavily pregnant and am an embarrassment to my family. My problem is that cake and TV are enjoyable while exercise is a sweaty pain and a waste of time. I urgently need a good incentive to lose weight and haven't found one.

I suggest building your first love Ayesha. Apart from the calories burnt lugging a heavy engine about, having to get rid of some flab so you can ride her in comfort will be a marvellous incentive. I envy you the opportunity.

smiley

Dave

Steambuff19/11/2018 18:36:19
544 forum posts
8 photos

I have a Conway and currently building a Lilla (Both 3 1/2 Gauge) ... Both are Narrow Gauge Hunslet designs, and are quite large, they will both have no problem pulling you and a few extra passengers. (Conway might be the easier one to build and was serialized in ME back in 1980, Lilla was serialized in EIM)

Dave

RevStew19/11/2018 18:54:38
87 forum posts

Well chaps, I'm pretty keen on it being an LBSC design, and not really a lover of narrow gauge, so It's Ayesha in the running so far, although I'd have to drive further to run it, although in that gauge theres always the option of a garden track, if I win the lotto....

IanT19/11/2018 20:20:07
2147 forum posts
222 photos

I don't know where you are RS - but if it's in the UK, then you can of course run on someone else's Garden Railway.... so you do not have to build your own railway (although you don't need to win the Lottery to do so either).

We call it Gauge '3' - and one or two of our Members are about your size (must be all that Tea & Cake at our Garden-Get-Togethers!)

Have a look here: https://www.gauge3.org.uk/

( and please feel free to use the 'Contacts & Questions' page if you would like to know any more )

Regards,

IanT

Redsetter19/11/2018 20:21:37
239 forum posts
1 photos

Juliet is often overlooked nowadays - simple, and powerful for its size, though the construction series is not one of LBSC's most detailed. Martin Evans' Rob Roy is another one to consider and has a detailed construction book.

J Hancock20/11/2018 12:17:55
869 forum posts

Just my thoughts.

Try to choose a design with outside cylinders /steam chest /valve gear.

Speak to as many people as possible that have built it before.

Make sure that you have discovered ALL the important drawing errors before drilling/cutting holes, etc.

I can assure you drawing errors on old designs have NOT been corrected.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate