Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

What size lathe?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Puffafish11/09/2018 15:24:32
19 forum posts

How do I know what size lathe I need?

For example, I've looked at the Simplicity Roller from plastowtractionengines.co.uk and I liked the line "The only machining necessary is to bore and face the hub and turn the O.D edges of the roll." Making me think this might be a suitable model to be that step between full machining required and no machining required.

But how big would the lathe have to be? How would I go about finding out?

I could have 3 inch or 4 1/2 inch, but I currently have no idea what lathe I would need for either of them.

Former Member11/09/2018 15:39:18
1329 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Brian H11/09/2018 15:40:11
2312 forum posts
112 photos

An experienced modeller and professional machinist once told me 'You can make small things on a big lathe but you can't make big things on a small one'.

I'm guessing that the 4.5 is a Boxford. I have one of these and, although it's a comedown from the 6" I used to have, it does everything I need and is an excellent lathe.

Brian

JasonB11/09/2018 16:11:59
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

The rear rolls on the 3" are approx 12.5" and the ones on the 4.5" are approx 19".

It may just be possible to get the 3" ones into the gap of a gap bed lathe but would depend on the width of the gap otherwise you are looking at something with 13" or 330mm swing minimum for the 3" and at least 20" swing for the 4.5" version. I would go for a bit more to avoid having too much tool overhang as the carrage may get in the way even if the lathe bed does not.

An alternative would be to outsource the machining of the biggest items and to the rest yourself.

And yes the quote only applies to the castings for the rolls, all other parts will need to be machined, about 1000-1500hrs work on average for a traction engine.

Edited By JasonB on 11/09/2018 16:15:52

Bazyle11/09/2018 18:34:50
6956 forum posts
229 photos

Don't burden yourself with too big a lathe just to machine a couple of items a decade. Check out clubs in your area that might have a workshop and also evening classes in schools and colleges. If you are a beginner it would be better to start off a bit smaller to avoid tying up a lot of money in something you might not like in the end. Also if you look at an engine count the number of round things. Most things are not round so the lathe can end up as the least used tool in your workshop. There are also ways of dong bigger things without a big lathe.

capnahab22/09/2018 21:14:30
194 forum posts
17 photos

I’m more of a Walt Kowalski man, - every man needs a lathe.

capnahab22/09/2018 21:15:42
194 forum posts
17 photos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_if8-CkTZE&list=RDi_if8-CkTZE

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate