Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Drummond Shaper Restore

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gerry T10/10/2017 17:00:59
14 forum posts
20 photos

Hello All, after lurking on the site for a year or so and being frankly awestruck by the experience of all, I finally have something which I feel will be of value posting. Namely the restoration and sorting out of a Drummond hand operated shaper which I recently picked up.

When I collected it, there were a number of issues with it, although the ram and other aspects seemed to be moving nice and smoothly:

1. It had been painted (badly) in a light grey which was flaking off all over.

Shaper(RHS)

2. The Tool head appears to be broken:

Swiveling Tool HeadThe following parts were missing:

3. Tool Height adjustment wheel and screw

4. Table feed connecting rod.

Gerry T10/10/2017 17:35:09
14 forum posts
20 photos

First job was to strip it all down and give it a good clean, paint & rust removal activity:

Paint_Striping

Rust_Removal

Which left it looking all nice and clean:

Body_Cleaned

And ready for some paint. The outside faces will be in black enamel, however I thought that some colour on the interior surfaces would be good.Ran_Underside

Gerry T10/10/2017 17:51:10
14 forum posts
20 photos

It has obviously had an interesting life, if the number punched into the main body ( **LINK** ) is taken as the serial number as there is no plate with a number on it, then with a serial number of 62 it is a very early model. The fact that it has the later Ram and Clapper box shows that it has been upgraded at some point as there are a number of components with the serial number of 410 stamped into them. (**LINK**).

I do have some questions if anybody can help:

1. What is the TPI and length of the tool height adjuster on the tool head?

2. Should the tool head have a 'cylindrical stub' to locate it into the front face of the Ram?

3. How does it secure to the Ram?

The toolhead that I have is shown here (**LINK**), clearly showing that there has been a breakage of some sort. Although I've pored over the pictures on the Lathes.co.uk website, I can't figure out what a complete toolhead looks like. If anybody can help it would be much appreciated.

Gerry

mark smith 2010/10/2017 19:14:40
682 forum posts
337 photos
Posted by Gerry Talbert on 10/10/2017 17:00:59:

Hello All, after lurking on the site for a year or so and being frankly awestruck by the experience of all, I finally have something which I feel will be of value posting. Namely the restoration and sorting out of a Drummond hand operated shaper which I recently picked up.

When I collected it, there were a number of issues with it, although the ram and other aspects seemed to be moving nice and smoothly:

1. It had been painted (badly) in a light grey which was flaking off all over.

Shaper(RHS)

2. The Tool head appears to be broken:

Swiveling Tool HeadThe following parts were missing:

3. Tool Height adjustment wheel and screw

4. Table feed connecting rod.

In the second image you say its clearly broken, why do you think that???? Looks ok to me.

Gerry T10/10/2017 20:00:49
14 forum posts
20 photos

Is the annular ring around the threaded hole supposed to look like something has been snapped off then?

As that face butts up to the fwd face of the ram, should there not be some cylindrical extension which locates into the hole on th fwd face of the Ram?

If what is in the picture is correct then I'm incorrect in stating that "its clearly broken" and it is what it is.

Nobby10/10/2017 22:32:55
587 forum posts
113 photos

clapper boxHi Gerry
I have a Drummond hand shaper if you need any dimensions I maybe able to help This is the original colour Nobby
drummond shaper

mark smith 2010/10/2017 23:57:31
682 forum posts
337 photos
Posted by Gerry T on 10/10/2017 20:00:49:

Is the annular ring around the threaded hole supposed to look like something has been snapped off then?

As that face butts up to the fwd face of the ram, should there not be some cylindrical extension which locates into the hole on th fwd face of the Ram?

If what is in the picture is correct then I'm incorrect in stating that "its clearly broken" and it is what it is.

Gerry , you may be correct i`m not familiar with this machine and the photo was rather dark on my screen. If there is supposed to be a spigot sticking out ,then you are correct .I assume the part mates with the end of the ram and is secured with a bolt ?? I also assume the larger circular register also fits into the mating surface on the end of the ram.

I tried to see if it showed you the part on this video but could see the bit . There is 3-4 videos of doing up the shaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7OP42GaIyQ

If the ease with which the person in the video resurfaces the vice in one of the videos ,is anything to go by im quite impressed and you should end up with quite an able machine for small jobs.

Edited By mark smith 20 on 11/10/2017 00:01:17

Edited By mark smith 20 on 11/10/2017 00:03:54

Gerry T11/10/2017 07:57:03
14 forum posts
20 photos

Mark,

Thanks for the link, I'd seen some of the other shaper videos on that channel but had overlooked that one. It does look like there should be a spigot sticking out, which would locate the tool head to the front of the ram, secured with a bolt from the rear.

The front face of the ram is flat with no register at all, and if you look at the second picture that Nobby posted you can see the circular part of the toolhead against the front face of the ram (the bit painted green).

Gerry

Gerry T11/10/2017 08:00:43
14 forum posts
20 photos

Nobby,

Many thanks indeed for the offer, I've now worked out that there should be a spigot at the rear of the toolhead to located it onto the ram. Just need to work out a way to fix it now.

Really intrigued by the mounted grinder, does that work and too what degree of accuracy?

Gerry

Jss11/10/2017 18:33:14
25 forum posts
32 photos

While we're on about Drummond shapers, does anyone recognise this shaper? It looks like a Drummond but does not match any of the photographs on Tony Griffith's website. The main body is different as is the clapper box.

The handle is not original, it has been cobbled together using a piece of threaded rod and tubing.

imgp0850.jpg

imgp0849.jpg

Nicholas Farr11/10/2017 19:05:32
3988 forum posts
1799 photos

Hi Jss, I would say it is a Drummond and it looks like the one in the very first picture on Tony's web site, but I'm guessing that someone has made a new table at some point, with T slots in it, which the original table didn't have.

Tony may be pleased to hear from you, if it is.

Regards Nick.

Gerry T11/10/2017 19:15:35
14 forum posts
20 photos

Apart from the table and the main body, the remainder of the parts and the construction look like a Drummond. Has somebody in the past created a new 'beefed up'" body using the parts from an early Drummond?

I like the adjuster to alter the amount of table feed per stroke, I can see a modification being made to mine already, so many thanks for posting those two pictures.

Gerry T

Gerry T15/10/2017 18:26:36
14 forum posts
20 photos

As said above, the toolhead spigot, which locates the toolhead onto the ram had become broken off so the first piece of recitfication work was to to make a new bush, drill a matching hole in the tool head and press the bush into the tool head.:

creating the recess for the bush / spigot using a 19mm end mill: **LINK**

Recess created: **LINK**

I made the bush slightly oversize and left it in the freezer overnight before pressing the bush home using a vice, here is the repaired item in all it's glory;**LINK**

Next was a bolt to secure the toolhead to the ram:**LINK**

Bolted in place: **LINK**.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate