Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Blick clock

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
duncan webster24/07/2017 11:43:26
5307 forum posts
83 photos

I have a Blick clock which I have raised from the dead by dumping its synchronous motor and gearbox and fitting a stepper motor. It is the sort of thing which used to drive factory hooters, school bells etc. There is a big gear with 288 teeth, from which I want to drive a small pinion to trigger an hours chiming device. The OD of the gear is 7.375, so add 2 to the teeth and divide and I get 39.3 dp, or 0.65mm module. It is definately not 7.25" OD (40 dp) I can't believe either of these. The original design was American, so I'd suspect it should be dp. Any one got any better information? I daresay it will work with 40 dp, or I could make a lantern pinion with the odd dp, but it would be good to be sure I'm doing it right

JohnF24/07/2017 20:25:48
1243 forum posts
202 photos

bump

Mike Crossfield24/07/2017 23:38:05
286 forum posts
36 photos

Could it be that the gear was specified in terms of its circular pitch? From your numbers the gear has a circular pitch very close to 0.08.

Mike

Neil Wyatt25/07/2017 17:01:15
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

Is it an involute gear or a cycloidal one?

Neil

duncan webster25/07/2017 19:31:06
5307 forum posts
83 photos
img_2987 (small).jpgPosted by Neil Wyatt on 25/07/2017 17:01:15:

Is it an involute gear or a cycloidal one?

Neil

Dunno, does it make much difference? Here's some photos

img_2986 (small).jpg

duncan webster25/07/2017 22:07:39
5307 forum posts
83 photos

I think Mike has got it, 0.08 circular pitch. I'm not likely to find a matching gear for that am I, but I can make a lantern pinion. Good job I bought Ivan Law's book last week.

Neil A25/07/2017 22:15:28
160 forum posts

Looking at the photo of the teeth, particularly near the number 16, they do appear to be cycloidal rather than involute. 0.65mm module could well be the right size.

Blick Time Recorders was a marketing company rather than a manufacturer, many of its designs where made by the National Time Recorder Co. in the UK. Have a look at WorkClocks.co.uk website for more information.

Neil

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate