Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

A flight of fancy ?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Eric Cox21/09/2016 09:32:38
557 forum posts
38 photos

I came across this and was intrigued by two cylinders driving the one wheel.

Do you think it was made or just a flight of fancy on the designers part.

Tim Stevens21/09/2016 09:45:13
1779 forum posts
1 photos

This looks to me like an example of the principle 'Just because you can doesn't mean you should'.

One major difficulty is the outside crank being so far overhung - a better version might have the cranks between the wheels, but why not just increase the size of one cylinder and don't bother with the other one?

Not that I know much about steam locomotives ...

Cheers, Tim

duncan webster21/09/2016 09:50:29
5307 forum posts
83 photos

I think it's an attempt to improve balancing, the 2 cylinders being 180 degrees apart would be in primary balance, apart from a slight rocking couple due to them being slightly ofset. However, as Tim says, the overhung crank looks like a recioe for disaster. I wonder if it was ever made?

Eric Cox24/09/2016 10:39:33
557 forum posts
38 photos

I have found out that this locomotive was designed by John Haswell of the Austrian State Railway Works at Vienna and built in 1861 and worked till 1900. It had a top speed of 60 KPH and run without swinging.

Lambton24/09/2016 15:41:06
694 forum posts
2 photos

Eric,

Probably a design intended to improve the power and smoothness of a locomotive by providing 4 cylinders without having to resort to a crank axel. Back in the days before metallurgy was fully understood and inspection techniques such as X-rays existed, crank axels frequently failed in a catastrophic way resulting in serious accidents. Robert Stephenson used double framing on his Planet type locos that had crank axels thus providing 4 bearings to each axel. If the crank axel fractured each half of the axel would still be supported by two bearings so the loco would safely remain upright on the track.

Mike Palmer 124/09/2016 15:53:00
32 forum posts
2 photos

Beautiful drawing with toned shading, worth every penny. I have a book called The Art of the Engineer full of splendid drawings, my favourite being the oscillating twin cylinder steam engine from Brunel’s Great Eastern shaded with water colour, a true work of art.

Mike

Frances IoM24/09/2016 16:10:56
1395 forum posts
30 photos
this loco is covered in my exhibited machinery of 1862 - 4 cylinders 4 cranks on a single driving axle - states that reciprocating and woking parts balance so that pistons on each side and all their connections move in contrary directions - comment by editor is that had it appeared 10 years prior it would have been important but now(ie 1862) use of counterweights achieves same object

the whole volume 420pp is a fascinating treasure trove to dip into

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate