Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Flat spring for Traction Engine

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andy Phillips03/01/2016 18:56:25
3 forum posts

Hi guys,

I'm a "new boy "I just wonder if anyone has any idea about the springs on the front of my 2in Ransome Sims and Jefferies whether to make them out of gauge plate and temper them back of Phosphor bronze any thoughts?

JasonB03/01/2016 19:05:00
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Spring steel, available in various sizes of flat strip.

J

Phil P03/01/2016 19:11:24
851 forum posts
206 photos

I made my 3" scale ones from spring steel strip, once cut and rolled to the correct shape I treated them to a bath of molten lead to make them stay in shape. Springs do not "scale" very well, if you use correct 2" scale thickness and quantity of leaves, you will find they are pretty much solid, I have heard of people substituting some of the leaves with something flexible like Tufnol to try and overcome this problem.

Having said that I wouldn't worry too much about having working springs on such a small model anyway especially on the back axle, you might be giving yourself more problems with things like drive gear meshing etc. As for the front I would just make it look right even if it doesn't work.

I am sure there will be more responses with advice for you, but that is my 2p worth.

Phil

Edited By Phil P on 03/01/2016 19:12:56

Andy Phillips03/01/2016 19:17:30
3 forum posts

Thanks Jason, Who supplies small quantities? I'm looking for 1/16x3/8 wide I guess about 18ins.

JasonB03/01/2016 19:54:20
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Reeves do it in 24" lengths, 16swg would be closest and they have several width in the drop down, Blackgates, Polly etc also do it but Reeves was just easier to look at.

Chris Gunn03/01/2016 19:59:25
459 forum posts
28 photos

Andy, I have some spring steel in sheet form I will never use. I can cut you off a bit FOC. PM me if this is of interest.

Chris Gunn

Andy Phillips03/01/2016 20:33:43
3 forum posts

Thanks Chris, That would be very generous thanks, how do we do this, do you want my email address.

Andy

kevin beevers03/01/2016 21:12:46
69 forum posts
43 photos

just a thought what about the spring from an old lawnmower pullstart,dont know if its anygood for what you need but it may be of some good for something else.

kev

JasonB04/01/2016 07:32:21
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

The annealed strip/sheet is easier to work than a ready hardened spring

Chris Gunn04/01/2016 20:06:05
459 forum posts
28 photos

Andy, if you send me your email in a private message we can take it from there, rather than put your email in the forum pages.

Chris Gunn

Brian H23/01/2016 15:22:29
2312 forum posts
112 photos

Many years ago I needed to make springs for a Clayton Lorry and found a small firm in Sheffield that made springs for false legs etc. This was the correct shape with rounded edges and supplied not hardened so could still be put through rollers to give it shape but was still springy enough.

I've tried to find the company but without success but did find this company that supplies small quantities and accepts Paypal or credit cards.

http://springsteelstock.co.uk/

As usual, I have no connections with this firm whatsoever.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate