Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Issue Reading New Digital Viewer

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steambuff08/05/2019 10:53:11
544 forum posts
8 photos

Thanks

It does the same from my iPhone using web interface [and same to both printer and to a pdf]

Dave

Paul Oliver 108/05/2019 11:11:03
5 forum posts

Please would the editor post instructions to help digital subscribers print using the new digital viewer.

Having just subscribed and discovered that I am unable to print pages and that there are several other subscribers experiencing the same problems I am surprised that the editor has not sorted this problem out either with published instructions or at the very least an explanation.

Peter Sansom08/05/2019 12:34:51
125 forum posts
4 photos

I have seen your printing issues with Firefox, never tried IE. The best success that I have had with printing is using the Google Chrome browser.

Neil Wyatt08/05/2019 20:32:37
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles
Posted by Paul Oliver 1 on 08/05/2019 11:11:03:

Please would the editor post instructions to help digital subscribers print using the new digital viewer.

Having just subscribed and discovered that I am unable to print pages and that there are several other subscribers experiencing the same problems I am surprised that the editor has not sorted this problem out either with published instructions or at the very least an explanation.

Hi Paul,

I have put several explanations earlier in this thread.

The long and short is that the archive access was always advertised as a online viewer not a way of printing back issues, and the publishers are very wary of that use as it is used by the unscrupulous to produce and sell pirate PDF copies. (Last year over 3,000 take-down notices for pirate issues of ME and MEW were issued... I suppose it's a compliment really).

Nonetheless, as I've posted before, I have asked if a print function can be provided and I still await a response despite chasing.

Sorry I can't be more positive.

Neil

JasonB08/05/2019 20:55:23
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Paul even with no quick "print" button on the new digital viewer it is possible to snip the image of a page and save as a jpg which can be printed out. This would be your best bet for the issues 23 upto when your subscription started, those during the subscription can be printed via pocketmags.

This is one I snipped and when up on my screen full size is perfectly readable

me boiler 2.jpg

Paul Oliver 108/05/2019 21:37:46
5 forum posts

Neil, Jason, very many thanks for all your help with this. It is much appreciated. I will try Jason's suggested method.

Enough!08/05/2019 22:20:57
1719 forum posts
1 photos

Posted by Steambuff on 08/05/2019 08:56:47:

I cannot download PocketMag issues (As advertised) as I am using Windows 7

When I used PM a couple of years ago I dumped it because:

- They stopped supporting any Windows version other that 10 .... I use 8.1 (looking at their website, that situation may have changed in respect of 8.1 recently - but not Windows 7)

- Prints were poor quality and contained watermarks

- Each time I renewed my MEW subscription (here not with PM), PM totally lost track and it took weeks, with multiple communications, to get all the current and previous issues re-instated.

- PM support was a nightmare to deal with and s-l-o-w.

PM has had their chance with me and is no longer an option.

(Neither is changing my OS or browser to suit the vagaries of a specific website).

Gerd Vanhaevere11/05/2019 18:01:34
14 forum posts

and the publishers are very wary of that use as it is used by the unscrupulous to produce and sell pirate PDF copies.

I guess that is the real reason behind all this .

It's not a technical issue , it's not something that will come back in the future , it's deliberate and it is orchestrated by the "management " .

Now , as usual , the legit users have to suffer the consequences for the nuissance of copy protection wich has never and will not ever stop any unscrupulous individual to produce a pdf copy .

What it does achieve however is the loss of legit subscribers

My 2ct's , and appologies for the rant .

Neil , no need to reply to this one just pass it on to the publishers .

G

Edited By Gerd Vanhaevere on 11/05/2019 18:03:24

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 11/05/2019 18:29:21

Neil Wyatt11/05/2019 18:30:07
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

Hi Gerd,

The publishers are already aware.

I see you are perceptive enough to understand why I had to edit your post.

Neil

JasonB11/05/2019 19:38:21
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles
Posted by Gerd Vanhaevere on 11/05/2019 18:01:34:

It's not a technical issue , it's not something that will come back in the future , it's deliberate and it is orchestrated by the "management " .

It is actually a technical issue as the new software has not had the facility to restrict printing to one or two pages, it has either been print nothing (option selected by MTM) or print the whole mag. I have been in contact with the providers of the new viewer and although I can't say for sure it is more than likely that it will come back quiet soon with a software update.

Gerd Vanhaevere12/05/2019 13:20:04
14 forum posts

@Neil Yes offcourse . I was trying to make a point and got a little carried away . Won't happen again .

@Jason Exactly what I'm saying . The print option is there . It's just not enabled by whoever is in charge . Tell me , do you go to the bakers sometimes ? To buy a bread . Sunday morning perhaps . Let's for the sake of the discussion assume you do . You go to the bakers , buy a bread , pay for it with good money and when you leave the baker says in that pleasant voice of his : Thank you for your purchase sir , enjoy your bread , and do remember you're only allowed to eat 2 loafs of it ......

Would you accept that or would you buy a bread elsewhere the next time .

There is no reason we should be limited to a few pages . Did we not buy the entire magazine .

Please don't take this personal , that is not my intention . I'm a huge fan of MEW and would like to enjoy it for many years to come . But I do feel someone has to stand up and say this .

Edited By Gerd Vanhaevere on 12/05/2019 13:20:47

JasonB12/05/2019 14:02:31
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

But I do get to eat all the bread as I can read the whole magazine.

Anyone wanting to print off the whole magazine must be an idiot as it will cost them far more in ink cartridges and paper than the small saving from buying digital over print subscriptions. With an article usually taking up four or less pages having to click print twice is hardly a hardship.

Gerd Vanhaevere12/05/2019 20:00:16
14 forum posts

Thank you for calling me an idiot .

Doesn't add anything to the discussion , but does show a glimpse of the kind of person you are .

I won't be returning the favour ,

Neil Wyatt12/05/2019 21:45:20
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

Hi Gerd,

I'm sure Jason didn't mean any offence or mean you to take his comment literally or personally.

Neil

Mike Poole12/05/2019 22:27:54
3676 forum posts
82 photos

Hi Gerd, it would be a shame to get off on a the wrong foot over a well meant comment by one of the most helpful guys on this forum. Jason regularly gives good advice and takes on the thankless task of a forum moderator, his post tally shows a solid commitment to the forum and I am sure the comment you took personally was aimed at the concept of printing large tracts of the magazine which for most people doesn’t make economic sense, of course anyone with free use of a colour laser printer may have a different idea.

Mike

Peter Sansom13/05/2019 11:20:11
125 forum posts
4 photos

Please bear in mind, that you can only store a limited number of issue with Pocket Mags app, before you need to clear all the stored issues, before you can download more on an device with fixed storage such as an Ipad or Android tablet.

Yes the tablet is better reading the current issue, but not convenient for older issues that you are trying find an article in.

When it works the archive can be better for the older issues, the inability to print is a retrograde step. I Australia we could probaly argue that consurer law has been breached by removing feature that was available whe we subscribed.

I do not know if the same would apply in the UK, perhaps someone else could comment.

Neil Wyatt13/05/2019 11:38:03
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles
Posted by Peter Sansom on 13/05/2019 11:20:11:

Please bear in mind, that you can only store a limited number of issue with Pocket Mags app, before you need to clear all the stored issues, before you can download more on an device with fixed storage such as an Ipad or Android tablet.

Yes the tablet is better reading the current issue, but not convenient for older issues that you are trying find an article in.

When it works the archive can be better for the older issues, the inability to print is a retrograde step. I Australia we could probaly argue that consurer law has been breached by removing feature that was available whe we subscribed.

I do not know if the same would apply in the UK, perhaps someone else could comment.

Hello Peter,

The print feature was not actually intended to be available and was never advertised as being so - the archive is only offered as a 'viewer'; so there is no mis-selling involved.

My chief worry with this is that if the archive becomes more trouble than it is worth for the publishers it will be withdrawn. It was saved by a hair when transitioning to Pocketmags and again when the issue of changing to HTML5 came up. The terms and conditions, which I trust all subscribers read before agreeing to them, state:

"18. The Online Archive"

Digital and Print + Digital Subscribers for some MyTime Media titles are currently entitled to access an Online Archive of their magazine in addition to their downloadable subscription issues. The archive is only available in ‘rental’ format via the magazine community website. The archive can only be viewed whilst connected to the internet, and once your subscription ends you will lose access to this archive. MyTime Media reserves the right to withdraw this archive without notice. To identify whether your magazine includes access to an online archive please see the subscription advert in the latest issue, or the magazine online order page."

me.secureorder.co.uk/Terms-and-Conditions/

Neil

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate