Neil

You mean a bit like Thunderbirds..? ....lol

Neil Wyatt26/04/2019 13:13:37
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles
Posted by Ron Laden on 26/04/2019 12:56:27:

You mean a bit like Thunderbirds..? ....lol

It has the same feel as when you see his big models moving around!

Neil

P.S. congratulations!

Ron Laden14/05/2019 10:07:44
2320 forum posts
452 photos

Made up a simple throttle lever, looks a bit more in keeping than a plastic knob.

dsc06688.jpg

SillyOldDuffer14/05/2019 11:52:05
10668 forum posts
2415 photos
Posted by Ron Laden on 14/05/2019 10:07:44:

Made up a simple throttle lever, looks a bit more in keeping than a plastic knob.

dsc06688.jpg

In theory I don't care what controls look like as long as they work. In practice your throttle lever is an obvious improvement, better grip, visually attractive and far more in keeping. It's great what can be done with a lathe! Everyone should have one...

Dave

Jeff Dayman14/05/2019 12:38:33
2356 forum posts
47 photos

"Warp factor 9, Mr. Sulu."

I like the lever Ron, looks great. Probably easier for the grandkids to use as well.

I think Neil should fit ones like this to his guitar!

Ron Laden17/05/2019 07:58:24
2320 forum posts
452 photos

An artist I am not, so I hope my attempt at a Thomas type face will get the girls approval. Sunday will be our two great grand daughters first outing with the loco and to turn up at the track with a faceless engine would not go down well...lol

I had to quickly come up with something so made up a removable card cover that fits over the radiator grill. I did most of it with a compass including the s/adh vinyl cut with a compass cutter.

Anyway the best I could do but the girls wont be slow in telling me.

dsc06693.jpg

Tim Ellis19/05/2019 16:08:26
5 forum posts

Fantastic work.

I am also building a 5 inch gauge locomotive. Can I ask, I have sued the same controller, have you fitted a fuse box and circuit breaker? and if so which ones have you used?

Many thanks in advance.

Tim

Ron Laden19/05/2019 21:42:51
2320 forum posts
452 photos
Posted by Tim Ellis on 19/05/2019 16:08:26:

Fantastic work.

I am also building a 5 inch gauge locomotive. Can I ask, I have sued the same controller, have you fitted a fuse box and circuit breaker? and if so which ones have you used?

Many thanks in advance.

Tim

Hi Tim,

I only have an in-line 30 amp fuse, I havnt gone with a circuit breaker. My controller (TE535) is 40 amp sustained and 60 amp max plus the most I have seen the loco draw to date is 23 amps so I went with 30 amps. A circuit breaker is probably a good idea.

Ron

Ron Laden20/05/2019 19:13:11
2320 forum posts
452 photos
Posted by Ron Laden on 17/05/2019 07:58:24:

An artist I am not, so I hope my attempt at a Thomas type face will get the girls approval. Sunday will be our two great grand daughters first outing with the loco and to turn up at the track with a faceless engine would not go down well...lol

I had to quickly come up with something so made up a removable card cover that fits over the radiator grill. I did most of it with a compass including the s/adh vinyl cut with a compass cutter.

Anyway the best I could do but the girls wont be slow in telling me.

dsc06693.jpg

Well a good time was had by all, yesterday was the first track day for the girls plus our 9 year old grandson came along as well. The three of them really did enjoy themselves and to be honest more than I expected. Fitting runs in between other track users we had about one and a half hours track time which was good.

They all had some driving time with me as the brake man and considering the girls are just 6 & 7 they did really well. The grandson took to it like a duck to water, a couple of circuits and he had it sorted, using a combination of throttle and brake he had just about the ideal speed for all parts of the track. The girls thought the Thomas face was "cool" so I was on a winner there but grandson thought the loco looked better without the face.

I suppose I had better mention it, but I got a yellow card plus a polite ticking off as I was spotted driving through a red track light....oops. I wasnt the only one though, two of the steamer guys had done the same, one of them has over 20 years experience so he came in for quite a bit of stick.

The weather was good and the wife had packed a nice picnic which topped off the day....very nice.

Paul Kemp20/05/2019 19:43:26
798 forum posts
27 photos

Oh Ron! Category A SPAD, suspended immediately from footplate duties and relegated to shed cleaner!!

Seriously, glad it all went well and all enjoyed themselves, that's what it's all about at the end of the day, makes the solitary hours in the shed and the head scratching trying to solve the design and machining problems all worth while.

Paul.

Ron Laden27/01/2020 15:20:43
2320 forum posts
452 photos

A club member gave me a short clip he had on his camera from last summer with our grandson taking the controls for the first time with our great grand daughters and myself as passengers, the children really did enjoy themselves.

Clive195816/02/2020 19:04:49
10 forum posts

Well done Ron, Ive only just seen this thread, its an excellent read with lots of info. Im hoping to build something similar in 7-1/4" and I feel a bit happier as how to go about it now, keep on building and again an excellent read.

Clive

Ron Laden18/02/2020 10:36:53
2320 forum posts
452 photos

Hi Clive,

Glad you found some of it of interest, good luck with your 7-1/4", have you decided on the type of loco and the power train yet..? Let us know when you have its always of interest and also your progress when you make a start.

Ron

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate