Mike Poole27/04/2020 13:25:40
3676 forum posts
82 photos

I hope nobody thinks they have bought a chipmaster for £95sad

Mike

Colin Heseltine27/04/2020 14:51:33
744 forum posts
375 photos

I'm not quite sure I would class it as fakery. They are using the lathe as an advert header and if you view all the pictures there are photos of welding etc. Nowhere that I can see does it say there is a lathe for sale. They are offering services/training.

Having said that I still do not think it is the correct way to offer a service. Anyone who put a bid in for what they saw in the picture, without reading the description, would need their head examining.

Colin

Michael Gilligan27/04/2020 15:09:51
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

Did you read ‘About this item’ Colin ?

I see ...

Condition : Used [followed by the ebay definition thereof]

Quantity : 1 available

Brand : Colchester

Treated Material : Metal

_____

Yes, I know it’s only a teaser, but dont know

MichaelG.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 27/04/2020 15:11:56

Clive Brown 127/04/2020 15:33:49
1050 forum posts
56 photos

An Ebay ad. is required to offer either a physical item, including downloads, or a service. I don't have a real problem with possible fakery for this particular ad. although the presentation is rather questionable, but I do wonder if it can correctly be defined as a service. Perhaps it's a hire service.

One regular ad. is for machine-tool transport. AFAIK, purchasers are sent a token item to fulfill the phyical delivery requirement, although transporting, say, a lathe does indeed seem a service.

Enough!27/04/2020 15:40:46
1719 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 27/04/2020 12:44:22:

On the subject of ebay fakery:

**LINK**

.... but they "May not post to Canada". Knew there'd be a catch.

frown

Michael Gilligan27/04/2020 17:11:32
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by Clive Brown 1 on 27/04/2020 15:33:49:

An Ebay ad. is required to offer either a physical item, including downloads, or a service. I don't have a real problem with possible fakery for this particular ad. although the presentation is rather questionable, […]

Just to be clear, I used the word fakery because I think the listing constitutes misrepresentation.

Perhaps it is a ‘victimless crime’ ... I don’t know, and it appears that no-one cares anyway.

MichaelG.

Robert Atkinson 227/04/2020 18:29:47
1891 forum posts
37 photos

The lathe listing is agiasnt ebay rules because it avoids their fees with contact info in the listing and is not a tangible item. The say "membership" starts at £1 a day but are charging £95 for a month. it's not at all clear exactly what you get for that. I'm sure the won't let anybody use a lathe 24/7 for a month for £95.

This sort of fee avoidance is common with car brakers, the list the car and then say £1 for a wheel nut or similar and gives a phone number to call if you want anything else.

Robert G8RPI.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate