Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Financial surnames

Just for fun

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Rod Renshaw09/03/2022 20:43:18
438 forum posts
2 photos

My wife worked for a time in the records office of the local hospital and came home one day with the news that a family called Curtain had named their infant daughter Annette.

And seen on a wall: -

"This is a graffito

These are graffiti"

Rod

Anthony Knights10/03/2022 08:38:47
681 forum posts
260 photos

One would hope that Mr and Mrs Cart did not name their son Orsen.

Mick B110/03/2022 09:32:20
2444 forum posts
139 photos
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 04/03/2022 22:03:03:
Posted by br on 04/03/2022 20:14:22:
Posted by Brian Wood on 04/03/2022 20:06:36:

Many years ago our Bank manager [remember them?!!] was called Lenderyou

Was his christian name BOB wink

Bank managers - they seem to be collectors items these days

My father visited his quite often I recall in the old days - he approved of his sherry.

Bob is very good - I've been struggling to make a joke out of Mark.

How the other half live! I've never been given sherry by a Bank Manager. Had a letter from one once, 'please do not anticipate your credit...'

Dave

Well, there ya go - another opportunity for humour ground into the dirt by the heel of the Euro... wink

Georgineer10/03/2022 14:15:36
652 forum posts
33 photos

A harmless hobby of mine over the years has been a search for the perfect surname. I'm quite happy with my own, but it has nine legitimate spellings (so far discovered) and countless illegitimate ones. So:

• It has to be capable of announcing over the telephone without spelling it out (so Bailey, Bayly, Baillie, Bailie etc are out).
  • It has to be pronounceable correctly without guidance (so Hindley and Hindley etc. are out. I had one of each in the same tutor group when I was a teacher);
  • It must have no negative connotations (so Slack, Idle, Thick, Loveless etc. are out);
  • It must have no sexual connotations (think of your own examples. I was at school with girls called Hoare and Toplice);
  • It should have no tribal connotations (so Douglas, Preece, MacHine are out);
  • It should contain no diacritic or punctuation marks (so O'Really, M'Spreader and Brontë are out);
  • It should be capable of no risible connotations (I have actually come across Walter Fall, Will Barrow, Nora Way and I.C. Double, and about twenty years ago a friend showed me an entry in the register of veterinarians for a man named Everard Cock) ;
  • It should raise no questioning eyebrows when first announced (so Andrewartha is out);

and so on. The stongest candidate so far is Hill, but the search continues.

George

Edited By Georgineer on 10/03/2022 14:17:39

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate