Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Aldi bandsaw

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
not done it yet14/12/2019 18:02:21
7517 forum posts
20 photos

Automatic cut off means you can leave it while doing other things. I admit to being a bit impatient, like watching paint dry.

The video put up of the guy who modded his saw for veryical operation had a home-made clip to hold the switch energised. I presumed that was because the switch could not be locked in the ‘on’ position, so is the switch lockable in the ‘on’ position on later versions?

Stuart Smith 514/12/2019 18:09:42
349 forum posts
61 photos

I have just bought one of these as well.

Cuts ok and the vice holds well on mine.

The on/off trigger does not lock, so that is why the mod on the YouTube video to keep it pressed. Obviously needs an external switch ion line if doing this as per videos.

The blade seems ok with none of the problems some others have had.

The only problem is the vice is not suitable for holding small parts.

not done it yet14/12/2019 21:18:10
7517 forum posts
20 photos

The on/off trigger does not lock, so that is why the mod on the YouTube video to keep it pressed.

Thanks Stuart. Real up to date information. Either they fit any switch that is available or they are all non-latching switches. Don’t know which, now, so the comment of being OTT for an auto cut-out seems to stand if they have made the saw like that for a good reason (like there is a limited run-factor on the motor).

Stuart Smith 514/12/2019 22:03:58
349 forum posts
61 photos

It is advertised as a portable bandsaw and doesn't need to be used on a stand. In this respect it is similar to a portable drill. I have tried it like this holding a small piece of steel in my normal bench vice. The only problem was that it was difficult to control when starting the cut. After that, it was similar to using a (heavy) hacksaw. I think if I had made a start with a normal hacksaw I wouldn't have had a problem.

Henry Brown14/12/2019 22:25:49
618 forum posts
122 photos

The non-locking power switch is probably because there isn't any damper to control cut which all comes down to cost. The times I have used mine I as very conscious that I was feeling the blade through the material rather than letting the weight of the saw just cut away.

Incidentally the vice on mine is fine, although I must admit I was a bit concerned about it holding the bar securely at first. I recently made some T nuts and cut them off one at a time after machining but didn't have enough bar stock to cut the last one so I used an old pair of parallels either side of the machined bar with a previously cut T nut to balance the clamping and it did the last cut fine. Other than deburring I've left the cut as it is quite acceptable for purpose.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate