By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Mini Lathe Owners - how do you fix your lathe? Or not?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bill Pudney11/02/2015 00:11:13
622 forum posts
24 photos

A bit late in the discussion, sorry about that....

My mini lathe is bolted to a benchtop consisting of two laminations of 17 or 18mm structural ply and one layer of 20mm (high strength floorboard type stuff) MDF, all glued and screwed together. The MDF is in the middle of the ply "sandwich". No rubber feet anywhere.

My Russian 3" lathe sits on top of another laminated benchtop, consisting of 3 laminations of 12mm structural ply, interleaved with 12mm "ordinary" MDF. All glued and screwed together. The Russian lathe despite being smaller than the mini lathe by a fair margin is significantly heavier, something like 40/45 kg to 60/65kg

cheers

Bill

Neil Wyatt11/02/2015 09:49:37
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

Thanks Bill,

We've wandered far from the point... do you have a photo of the Russian lathe, I've heard of these 3" beast as precursors to mini lathes.

Neil

Pedants Corner

Michael: "Hairdresser Paula Cochrane said she was charged 40p for each text message,"

Michael Gilligan11/02/2015 10:47:24
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 11/02/2015 09:49:37:

Pedants Corner

Michael: "Hairdresser Paula Cochrane said she was charged 40p for each text message,"

Neil,

She probably did [unless it's just sloppy reporting]

She's a Hairdresser ... so she may not have been aware of the difference betwen SMS and MMS.

... until this awakening.

MichaelG.

Sorry I mentioned it; this has taen the thread way off-topic.

Bill Pudney11/02/2015 11:11:31
622 forum posts
24 photos

I don't have any pictures of the Russian lathe, but Tony Griffiths site has a fair bit, here's a link.....

http://www.lathes.co.uk/russian/

It's a terrific little lathe, I haven't used it as much as I should, because it was too heavy for me to get into a usable place!

There are not to many similarities between this and a mini lathe. There is another small lathe (TOS?) that was built in the 80s/90s though that could have been used

cheers

Bill

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate