Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Setting up a Warco BH600G

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Smith 2619/03/2022 19:33:19
34 forum posts
6 photos

Mine has just arrived - was expecting it next week but the seller called this afternoon and asked if he could drop it off - fortunately I'd just cleared a space for it in the workshop when he called. 3/4 ton engine hoist was used to lift it into position.

It had levelling feet on the bottom of the stand and I don't know what I did in a previous life to deserve this but putting a level across the bed shows it's perfect in both directions with no tweaking needed. It doesn't appear to have any easy way to bolt it to the floor so I'm going to have to bend a few pieces of flat steel and shape them into a bracket, good excuse to fire up the forge! Will probably drill and resin some threaded rod into the concrete floor and then bolt down to that then drill through the cabinet and bolt the bracket that way.

I didn't get to see the lathe before purchase so was a bit nervous but the only two issues I've seen are about 5 thous backlash on the crossfeed and the catch for the electrics cabinet is broken - given it was manufactured in 2003 I'm pretty happy with that.

Was very dirty when it arrived - definitely not as pretty as yours Geoff - lots of dust, old oil and a lot of swarf still in place - unfortunately I believe the previous owner passed away and it's sat for quite a long time until it sold. Cleaned the oil tray and cabinets that make up the stand with a bit of scotch bright - but will need to give the lathe itself a good clean.

One bit of drama during setup - the seller was bolting it to the stand and got one bolt in then unfortunately cut himself pretty nastily on the top edge of the backstop for the left hand cabinet door - bit of a mad dash to get him a dressing and some steri strips then had to go deal with the kids so haven't had a chance to finish bolting it to the stand yet - definitely running a file over the top of the backstop for the cabinet doors since they're sharp as a razor.

Will post a couple of pics once it's up and running!

Edited By Michael Smith 26 on 19/03/2022 19:35:01

Edited By Michael Smith 26 on 19/03/2022 19:35:35

Bazyle19/03/2022 20:00:43
6956 forum posts
229 photos

There is also a version of the G.Meek screwcutting clutch for the BH600 somewhere.

OuBallie19/03/2022 20:30:17
1181 forum posts
669 photos

Thanks Rik, much appreciated👍

Geoff - Workshop’s been feeling neglected😥

Michael Smith 2620/03/2022 12:49:08
34 forum posts
6 photos

Can anyone tell me which oils I should buy - was drained for transport so bit stumped on what to get and where to get it from before I test it? Thanks!

Thor 🇳🇴21/03/2022 15:03:14
1766 forum posts
46 photos

Hi Michael,

The manual for my lathe recommends Mobilgear 627 for the gearbox, after three months I replaced the oil with ATF transmission fluid because it was readily available where I live. I assume hydraulic oil would work too, doesn't the manual say which lubricants to use?

Thor

Howard Lewis21/03/2022 15:21:15
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Re Levelling.

The bed is pretty rigid, so shimmjing / adjusting the tailstock end is probably the best way of removing twist from the bed.

I mounted my machine on six 1/2 UNF setscrews with nuts above and below the lathe feet, so that the levelling could be done with a fine adjustment (Akin to raising blocks on machines like ML7s )

Howard

SillyOldDuffer21/03/2022 15:37:17
10668 forum posts
2415 photos
Posted by Michael Smith 26 on 19/03/2022 19:33:19:

It had levelling feet on the bottom of the stand and I don't know what I did in a previous life to deserve this but putting a level across the bed shows it's perfect in both directions with no tweaking needed...

Don't jump too quickly to conclusions! An ordinary builders level isn't sensitive enough to level a machine. The acid test is to gently skim a little metal off about a 150mm long thick rod with a sharp cutter (so the rod doesn't bend under cutting pressure ). Then use a micrometer to confirm the rod isn't tapered. (Practice with the micrometer first.)

No need to worry about sensitive levelling or Rollies Dad if the machine cuts straight. Ask again if she cuts tapers.

Dave

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate