Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

How to keep Paint Fresh?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mike Poole30/01/2022 08:51:35
3676 forum posts
82 photos

They say Coleman’s mustard made their fortune from the mustard people throw away, I suspect the manufacturers of paint have made a fortune from the paint left over from a job that ends up never getting used. I have a bin full of paint tins with varying amount of paint after clearing my mothers property, try finding somewhere to dispose of them responsibly.

Mike

Martin King 230/01/2022 09:16:00
1129 forum posts
1 photos

Chas,

Great explanation, thanks!

Will white spirit be suitable? Can one buy methyl whatever?

Cheers, Martin

john halfpenny30/01/2022 10:17:04
314 forum posts
28 photos

Chas, it has been my practice to leave the top off oil based paint to allow a deliberate skin to form before replacing the lid. The skin is cut out with a knife before next use. I also wipe the mouth and lid clean to avoid cured paint dropping in when the lid is next removed. This is relatively non messy, and keeps the paint uncontaminated with bits. What do you think?

not done it yet30/01/2022 11:33:14
7517 forum posts
20 photos
Posted by john halfpenny on 30/01/2022 10:17:04:

Chas, it has been my practice to leave the top off oil based paint to allow a deliberate skin to form before replacing the lid. The skin is cut out with a knife before next use. I also wipe the mouth and lid clean to avoid cured paint dropping in when the lid is next removed. This is relatively non messy, and keeps the paint uncontaminated with bits. What do you think?

This seems to me to be the best solution to the problem, unless decanting into smaller, fully filled, sealed containers. I invert the can, to seal the lid (to prevent even more oxygen gaseous exchange taking place) and deal with the skin at the next opening.

CHAS LIPSCOMBE30/01/2022 12:27:45
50 forum posts
3 photos

John Halfpenny - your technique would obviously work but I'm not sure why you would not put the lid on after using the paint and see if the contents skin over, rather than deliberately allowing skin to form.

NDY - Inverting the can briefly to let paint seal the lid joint is good practice. I should have mentioned this in the first place

Martin King - The solvent used needs to be the same as the solvent used in the paint formula e.g. use the thinners recommended for that product. Air-dry enamels are very likely to be compatible with white spirits but spraying "enamels" will need toluene or just as good is xylene. The recommended thinners for spraying enamels will be compatible with air-dry paints but you need to be cautious to use as little as possible, or you will cut the viscosity to that of water.

In this day and age you might find it difficult to buy Methy Ethyl Ketoxime but then again there are some pretty dangerous chemicals sold on ebay that should never be allowed to get into the hands of unqualified people

duncan webster30/01/2022 13:21:27
5307 forum posts
83 photos

So here's a daft idea, make a polystyrene float to support a tea light above the paint, light it and put the lid on. Tea light consumes all the oxygen, then goes out.

V8Eng30/01/2022 13:50:22
1826 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Mike Poole on 30/01/2022 08:51:35:

. I have a bin full of paint tins with varying amount of paint after clearing my mothers property, try finding somewhere to dispose of them responsibly.

Mike

Our local council tip (recycling centre) will accept up to five litres of paint.

I can’t help with suggestions for storing paint though!

Edited By V8Eng on 30/01/2022 13:55:11

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate