Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Quick change tool post

Metal lathe

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andrew Tinsley29/04/2020 17:38:43
1817 forum posts
2 photos

If you want a good QCTP and lots of holders then you will be paying out a lot of cash. The cheap ones are really not a lot of use in the rigidity stakes. So if you have a couple of hundred to spare, go ahead.In my view it is self defeating to have only 3 or 4 holders

I did the same as you are intending but I purchased from the guy who used to make QCTPs for the original Myford factory. They are excellent, but if you want a really rigid style of toolholder, then I recommend the four way tool holder that G H Thomas designed. Absolutely rock solid and highly repeatable.

If you are only going to use carbide, then shim the holder once and stick the shim to the bottom of the holder. I have both systems and I know which I prefer.

Andrew.

Edited By Andrew Tinsley on 29/04/2020 17:40:18

MK_Chris29/04/2020 18:01:38
18 forum posts
3 photos

Example of Lantern tool post with height adjustment. The thread is the Buttress type at 13 TPI.

The collar is free to turn but a piece of masking tape or similar with a thin permanent marker line on it can be used for location. Part of recovery project that is slow progress not helped by age and a heart attack. So it still looks rather rough.

Chris.

dscn0949.jpg

Matt Reid29/04/2020 20:10:27
7 forum posts

Guys information and help is appreciated I haven't long got lathe and it only came with one holder and cutter so can't really do much as never sharpened bits that's why the qctp I could buy carbide and then go for it rather than get angry because I could not sharpen hss so time in setting up is not important whare can I buy hss holders and which hss again thanks

thaiguzzi04/05/2020 08:44:44
704 forum posts
131 photos
Posted by Matt Reid on 29/04/2020 20:10:27:

Guys information and help is appreciated I haven't long got lathe and it only came with one holder and cutter so can't really do much as never sharpened bits that's why the qctp I could buy carbide and then go for it rather than get angry because I could not sharpen hss so time in setting up is not important whare can I buy hss holders and which hss again thanks

You would not believe how easy it is to sharpen small 1/4 or 5/16" HSS square on a bench grinder to get a working sharp toolbit. Holders, Chinese copies or the genuine S/H Armstrong, all cheap on Ebay or go for the Diamond Tool Holder advertised on these pages, and a beginner CANNOT go wrong with one of these.

thaiguzzi04/05/2020 08:46:14
704 forum posts
131 photos
Posted by clogs on 29/04/2020 17:20:35:

thaiguzzi.......

rather like ur degree circle.....tool post.....

as I'm getting olde this would make a good add on.........

did u make it......?

ta

That plastic degree disc insert comes std with one of Tony @ Lathes.co.uk t-slot cross slides.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate