All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
JasonB30/01/2019 13:06:05
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 30/01/2019 12:43:24:

I see the right page numbers here.

It is only that first inside cover that is wrong what do you see for that page?

Plus I get many more search hits, I think you have to wait for it to build a temporary index.

Had it up for 20mins and still no more results for Flywheel

If you want to look at text and pictures, -drag the tab to get two windows, use one for text and one for photos side by side. Works well.

Can you expand on this?

On the old reader all it does here is bring up a print dialogue, but it never actually prints... I didn't realise anyone had got it to work.

Works for me on the previous issue I have just printed the first page by clicking the "print this page" tab, see below where I did it to PDF so I can post here rather than to paper

mag print.jpg

EDIT, closed the viewer and opened it again and have got more search results for Flywheel.

Edited By JasonB on 30/01/2019 13:09:52

Steambuff30/01/2019 14:02:31
544 forum posts
8 photos

Hi,

Neil Said - "Bear in mind this is only the archive viewer, digital subscription and single issues are still viewed via pocketmags." Not totally true ..... Pocketmags is not supported on the Mac or Windows 7 .... Also what about the archive issues - outside my sub period.   So I am stuffed ....

Printing used to work fine on the old viewer ... just click the page to zoom in, then click the Print Tab at the top of ther page.

I now have 2 subscriptions that I can't read easily and can't print at all .....

Thinking of cancelling my subs

Dave

Edited By Steambuff on 30/01/2019 14:18:32

Samsaranda30/01/2019 14:45:08
1688 forum posts
16 photos

Steambuff, despite comments on this thread that Pocketmags is not supported on Mac, I have had no problems with M E 4605 on my IPad.

Dave W

Steambuff30/01/2019 14:59:13
544 forum posts
8 photos
Posted by Samsaranda on 30/01/2019 14:45:08:

Steambuff, despite comments on this thread that Pocketmags is not supported on Mac, I have had no problems with M E 4605 on my IPad.

Dave W

Hi,

I am using a MacBook (A Laptop) .... Not an iPad running IOS! They are totally different beasts.

Pocketmags works on my iPhone, but I find it too small to read!

Dave

HOWARDT30/01/2019 16:20:08
1081 forum posts
39 photos

Just read through this thread and thought I would give the latest issue a try, 4605 ME. On my Mac desktop digital view is through a HTML 5 Reader, all works magnifies, no problems. Print a full page, right hand menu to select page to print, scale print down to print onto A4 single sheet, 75% to get it within the paper border on a laser printer, all ok. All reads OK on my iPad and iPhone, Windows 7 laptop sits in its bag unloved.

Fowlers Fury30/01/2019 17:55:14
446 forum posts
88 photos

With Pocketmags I never discovered how to "print" more than 2 pages at once (used Print to pdf), could've been my set up but seemed a restriction of Pocketmags. To capture and collate a complete article was an irritating & time consuming process with Acrobat. Quicker alternative was to use Windows Snipping Tool, save as jpg, then sharpen if needed with (free) IrfanView. The image quality not as good as Print to pdf but certainly OK & much quicker process. Example of image below - much reduced.for posting here:-

capture.jpg

With Windows 10, pressing Ctrl and + together will magnify the screen for a particular drawing and another "Snip" can capture it .
No doubt all that's familiar to everyone, but my last sub to MEW expired end 2018 so haven't experienced latest reported problems.

Steambuff30/01/2019 18:27:44
544 forum posts
8 photos

I still can't print when viewing the latest ME issue in the Archive (NOT Pocketmags)...... I do not see any Print option. (or side Menu's)

I have tried in IE and Firefox in Windows 7 .... In Safari on my MacBook

This is what I see

capture 1.jpg

Where do I go from here!!!

Dave

Edited By Steambuff on 30/01/2019 18:32:04

Samsaranda30/01/2019 19:25:27
1688 forum posts
16 photos

On my Mac desktop computer I use Firefox as I find it much better than the apple programmes, could be worth you trying that, no expense involved as you can download the Firefox for free.

Dave W

Steambuff30/01/2019 19:54:12
544 forum posts
8 photos

I have just downloaded Firefox onto my MacBook ... I get exactly the same screen as above.(Which was Firefox under Win 7)

Dave

JasonB30/01/2019 19:57:28
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Have you got the snipping tool in W7, it's under Windows accessories. A bit long winded but as FF says above it may be a way forward until Neil comes back with an answer.

Steambuff30/01/2019 20:16:50
544 forum posts
8 photos

Jason,

Yes I do but the quality of the image is so poor, it is unreadable ... take a look at my image above, that was captured with the snipping tool.

If I zoom in to get a readable image, I only get about 50-66% of the page.

Dave

Neil Wyatt30/01/2019 21:51:55
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles
Posted by Steambuff on 30/01/2019 14:02:31:

Hi,

Neil Said - "Bear in mind this is only the archive viewer, digital subscription and single issues are still viewed via pocketmags." Not totally true ..... Pocketmags is not supported on the Mac or Windows 7

Hi Dave,

Pocketmags has always been supported on Mac.

Neil

Neil Wyatt30/01/2019 21:53:57
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

Jason,

If you click on a tab and press control then drag it sideways you get a second copy of the tab.

Now drag the tab to the right side of the screen, it will fill half the screen and if you click the preview of the browser it will fill the other half. You get this:

double tabs.jpg

Neil Wyatt30/01/2019 21:57:04
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles
Posted by Steambuff on 30/01/2019 14:59:13:

Hi,

I am using a MacBook (A Laptop) .... Not an iPad running IOS! They are totally different beasts.

Dave

On PCs and Macbooks you can access your issues through the Pocketmags website.

Neil

Neil Wyatt30/01/2019 22:00:55
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

Looks likely a print button will be added soon.

Neil

Steambuff30/01/2019 22:06:56
544 forum posts
8 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 30/01/2019 21:57:04:
Posted by Steambuff on 30/01/2019 14:59:13:

Hi,

Dave

On PCs and Macbooks you can access your issues through the Pocketmags website.

Neil

That maybe true, but you will only be able to access issues that were published during your subscription periods.

So for example if you rolled the new viewer out to all the old issues, I would not be able to view for example issue 20 of MEW in Pocketmags as I was not a subscriber then ... but I can using the Archive on the ME/MEW web site.

I will keep quiet now, till they implement the Print Function. (Thanks for chasing that up)

Dave

Fowlers Fury30/01/2019 22:26:15
446 forum posts
88 photos

Dave wrote "Yes I do but the quality of the image is so poor, it is unreadable ... take a look at my image above, that was captured with the snipping tool."
Agreed, it's poor. But what screen resolution were you using with Win7 ?
Will your graphics (card) allow you to increase it from what you currently ?
My own desktop screen is 1920 x 1080 (default) and that produced the 'snip' shown above.
I can't remember whether Win 7 allowes the Ctrl and + to zoom in on a screen but if it does, try it on that 'snip' of mine above ~ it should show it's quite readable at that 1920 x 1080 resolution.

Steambuff30/01/2019 22:51:48
544 forum posts
8 photos

My screen is 1680 x 1050 (That is the max)

Peter Sansom30/01/2019 23:35:52
125 forum posts
4 photos

I use Pocket Mags in Chrome on Linux to print to PDF, there is a 2 page limit, but have found that they are best printed singly. If both are printed with no margins then you end you with an extra blank page, usually the last, but not always, and sometimes the pages are swapped.

Simpler is to print to pdf single pages, each is 2 pages, extra balk due to margin settings. You can either select just to print page 1, used to do that but have now script that removes the 2nd page using a pdftk script.

Ghostscipt is ten used to join the pages in a single pdf file, half the size of doing the same with Adobe Acrobat.

This is now a single bash shell script of about 15 lines that takes about a minute to run. Same basic method works on the Model Engineer flash version, but in my experience the best result is Win10 using Chrome. A similar bash script can then be used in cygwin under Windows.

JasonB31/01/2019 06:59:02
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 30/01/2019 21:53:57:

Jason,

If you click on a tab and press control then drag it sideways you get a second copy of the tab.

Thank's Neil, I thought you had found another way as I already had Alibre and the mag viewer up on the screen together it would have been too tight to get 3 windows up!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate