By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Hacksaw

Here is a list of all the postings Hacksaw has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Flat bar steel for track
26/09/2023 20:03:42

Brundles

Thread: Steam-Wagon Steering Query (Ackermann)
28/06/2023 23:34:10

Any helpful info in this thread on a Super Sentinel ?

**LINK**

Thread: What is this for ?
16/04/2023 17:50:14

I did a buy in Lidl this morning .Gas powered soldering irons for 16 quid . Actually , it is a bit naff , (weak ) ..I just tried it ...but there you go...I've bought it now .

The hot bit doesn't touch ,and burn , the workbench when you put it down , so that rest is useful for resting a fag whilst soldering cheeky

leek 098.jpg

Edited By Hacksaw on 16/04/2023 17:50:31

10/04/2023 14:30:22

I thought it could be a book mark / paper clip for holding plans !

10/04/2023 14:28:04

Brilliant thanks ! I can put that to use !!

In fact i'll make some bigger ones for my angle grinders !!

10/04/2023 14:15:10

It was on my late fathers workbench . It's about bank card size .. He made 4mm scale locos shim brass ... from Garbage or a tool ?

leek 080.jpg

Thread: Jupiter and Venus
01/03/2023 19:47:29

Popped out for a fag a moment ago, and saw 2 aircraft with landing lights close together , coming into Gatwick ....low in the western sky. In 5 minutes they didn't move though...because it is Venus and Jupiter !! Go look !

Thread: Christmas Cracker Jokes
25/12/2022 20:41:38

What did the drummer call his daughters ?

Anna one .. Anna two..cheeky

Thread: Early Stuart I.C. engine
08/11/2022 12:30:03

Is that 4 cylinder 50cc engine still on display at the museum ?

Thread: 41/2" discs
02/09/2022 10:52:15

I get through hundreds of 1mm discs , like jaCK says above ,if you want speed plunge it , if you want disc life drag it back towards you .. I found the Screwfix discs ok .

Avoid Silverline from the Saturday market stall if you want disc life !

A trial on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hid9bDnSeok
Thread: Smart and Brown Model A Fine feed adjustement
18/07/2022 22:23:03

On the subject of S&B ,if i could interrupt ...On a Model M fine feed , how do you trigger it off ? Am i missing an adjustable " Stop" ? Or is the onus on the operator to hit the knob down just in the nick of time ?( which is what i do...) Also what are the knurled parts for either side of the apron where the power feed axle enters and exits ?

copy of img28.jpg

Thread: Giving an aged look to alloy
23/04/2022 22:39:58

What would happen if it was placed in a poly bag filled with oxygen ? Would brass tarnish overnight ?

Thread: Rising costs of materials
12/04/2022 16:42:24

3 x 6m lengths of 30x6 black rolled delivered just cost 40 quid . (Local fabricator ..i asked if he'd put my order in with his to get free delivery )

Not too bad ?

)

Edited By Hacksaw on 12/04/2022 16:42:59

Thread: Metal Cleaning Using Vinegar?
29/01/2022 00:04:48

My favorite is lemon juice . Tesco's sell big bottles for a quid . Buying several bottles at once gets questioned sometimes at the till , if that's all you're buying .. I just say i like pancakes , and they laugh laugh

Thread: Just Finished, I think!
11/01/2022 16:29:07

(off topic ...) My fraudulent cousin I adored ( he's gone now ) also played a mean lead guitar in a Beat group in the 60's and pretty good was they, too . Claim to fame , as support band , he shared a dressing room one evening with a young guy called Paul.. The gig was at the Invicta Ballrooms , Chatham I think the date was 12th January 1963... and the other group were pretty good he said.... laugh

10/01/2022 17:52:18

That's brilliant .smiley

I was in awe of my grown up cousin when i was small in the 60's . And he thought the world of me , always buying me Dinky toys and showing me " Magic tricks " .. He worked at Chatham Dockyard refitting submarines. He made a skeleton clock ,(in dockyard time...) it was under a glass dome in his mums house . Corrr , I thought , he must be really clever ..all those wheels filed out and shiny , and it worked... Then he got married and moved away to Rosyth when the dockyard closed , we kinda never saw them again , i was heartbroken ! Forward a few decades , he's retired and he comes down south to visit relatives , and we meet up . I mention my memory of the clock .

. " Christ no " he says " I didn't make just one ..I made dozens !! Well i didn't actually make them blush, I only cut out the frames blush..you see , Chatham High Street was being developed and in every skip would be a shop clock..Fusee movement wall clocks ..they were worthless then..So me and my mate would pull out all these clocks , take them to work , get a sheet of brass from the dockyard stores... take the clock to bits ,mark out where the wheels go onto the sheet off brass , draw a pretty frame and cut it out . Then reassemble it with the new frames and then you've got an 18th century clock !! Whatever you do you mustn't leave any file marks..or else you get rumbled! We'd go over it for hours with flour paper . Then you'd got to a junk shop and buy a Victorian stuffed bird in a glass dome,chuck the bird away and use the dome for the clock .. And it didn't matter if , you got it wrong and they didn't work , as no-one expects an old clock to run !! "

"Then we'd send them to an auction....slip them in with other junk we'd found ..wink Until one day the auctioneer said to me ' Ere ' 'Arry , where are you getting all these antique clocks from then ? ..surpriseSo i stopped doing them .

What a fraud ! And i idolised him !!

Edited By Hacksaw on 10/01/2022 17:53:41

Thread: Lidll
04/01/2022 00:10:46

I opened the old 16 v battery earlier today . It has a printed circuit board , packed with i.c.'s inside . ..so i thought I'll just put that back together....I can't fix that .but I'm sure it had 4 cells.. I've used it a bit , it was 16v .

drill 007.jpg

And the new 20v one fully charged ............20v ..go figure !

drill 006.jpg

03/01/2022 14:47:59

A new 16v parkside original battery for the old drill is 17 quid online . It still charges but it is dying . The drill is tired too though! I don't know anything about Li ion but it was at 3.5v dead flat an hour ago .I've charged it till the light went green (3/4 hour   and it's now at 16.2 v . And the old drill is working ok , but only for an hour or so ..

Lidls often have the newer "x " fit 20v batteries for cheap.  

I've many a time run it down to flat and then slippped in the charger for ten minutes to finish a job..and then not charged it fully for a while . is that a good way of ruining a Li ion battery ? It's been charged hundreds of times !

Edited By Hacksaw on 03/01/2022 14:51:20

Edited By Hacksaw on 03/01/2022 14:53:28

03/01/2022 14:12:25

drill 002.jpg

Parkside Drill update , purchased May 2017 until January 2022 . Well, it just about holds a charge still after much abuse . Rubber bits peeled off , the casing hasn't broken or cracked . The Drill /Screwdriver selector switch did fail recently causing it to jump into neutral when drilling , along with a dreadful screech of mashing gears !! .A detent spring holding the selector in place , had just disappeared.. when i took it to bits to look . A new one was made which kind of worked .. Anyway for 29.99 it did ok !!

drill 001.jpg

I saw that Lidlls was selling drills again today .Gone up to £39.99 .This time they're up at 20v 2Ah..slightly larger ,a fair bit heavier .You get a set of screwdriver bits and a few drills ,which appear good quaility . ( As good as the 107 drill pack i bought last week ! ) The chuck is all metal now. Now the other good thing is the 20v battery is interchangeable with the Parkside Impact gun i have , that is 4Ah .It does make the drill somewhat heavier though . Pics

drill 003.jpg#

drill 005.jpg

drill 004.jpg

Edited By Hacksaw on 03/01/2022 14:15:32

Thread: Brittle stainless steel
24/11/2021 23:37:56

Yeah ,I know they're dreadful things, but they do come in handy for rapid local heating !

I'm a Noel too . I was born on Xmas day laugh

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate