By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Thomas Staubo

Here is a list of all the postings Thomas Staubo has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Any plans for battery loco in 7 1/4
22/07/2019 01:12:41

OK, that's interesting. I have never heard of that.

21/07/2019 00:00:44

I'm pretty sure I will go for 7 1/4".

What size axle did you use?

Thread: Class 22 Diesel (next project)
20/07/2019 20:55:44

Nice work!

What is the dimensions of the springs you are using?

Thread: Any plans for battery loco in 7 1/4
20/07/2019 20:31:38

Thanks for the encouragement, Ron. And for the pictures.

It's interesting to see that you mounted the axle boxes directly in the frames!

What kind of bearings do you use?

I would like to have the wheels on the outside of the frame, and coupling rods. Would probably go for roller chains from the motor(s) to the axles.

With having coupling rods, I would only need chain to one axle (either one or two motors).

One question: If I build a 0-6-0, do I have to think about the middle axle binding if tight rail radius??

Our track will have no less than 10m radius at the smallest.

20/07/2019 14:05:32

Here's the page about the Quickie **LINK**

It's very simple, maybe a bit too simple? I'm not sure I like the way the chassis is unsprung, only the body.

I'm wondering if there is an easier way to create axle horns and axle boxes, with ball/needle bearings perhaps.

But it's a very nice loco type. I have already thought about a loco of the same type.

I love the way they look almost like a steam loco, with the coupling rods and counterweights.

Some are seemingly constructed by steam loco engineers, like this one:

I have looked on a lot of Hudswell-Clarke and Hunslet pictures and they are very nice looking, but in the end I may go for a Norwegian model.

Either a Di2:

Or a Di5:

20/07/2019 02:42:28

I already read Ron Laden's thread. There wasn't that much info about the chassis, but there was some interesting info about the motors he used.

Despite my Google-fu I couldn't find any website or contact information for Jan-Eric Nyström. But it looks like the model railway is situated at the Finnish railway museum in Hyvinge.

Edit: I found his personal website now, he is an animator by trade:  http://sparetimelabs.com/animato/animato/steam/index.html

I did find a picture of what I think is the Quickie:

Edited By Thomas Staubo on 20/07/2019 02:49:44

19/07/2019 21:34:29

Greetings gentlemen!

I live in Norway, and we are in the process of building a track on the site of a museum railway, planned to be driveablesometime in the autumn. It will be dual gauge, both 5" and 7 1/4".

Our club doesn't have any 7 1/4" locomotives yet, or rolling material, as we haven't had a suitable railway built. We only have a couple of 5" steam locos and four wagons. But there are several 7 1/4" steam locomotives under construction.

I'm also interested in buying a 7 1/4" loco, but as I'm not a pensioner, I feel I don't have the time to build a steam loco of any gauge.

But a battery powered loco, either a model of a diesel or electric shunter loco is easier and quicker to build, so I have thought about that for a while.

Are there any plans for the chassis of 0-4-0, or preferably a 0-6-0 battery powered loco available??

The body I can construct from sheet metal, or perhaps mdf as I saw a 5" loco on this forum, was built from.

Thomas

Edited By Thomas Staubo on 19/07/2019 21:35:05

Thread: Taper attachment
15/08/2017 13:10:18

I had an idea about making a taper attachment for my Myford ML7 from some linear rail. At first I contemplated using the round "Thompson rod" like this:

But then I saw the ones with lower profile, like the MGN15, and I think they are stiffer for their size :

It has been done before. Here's a cuemaker that made a quite long one.

And it doesn't seem too difficult to make, and the linear rails are cheap from China.

I'm not sure how long to make it though, I think a bit longer than the original one would be nice.

Does anyone here know the travel of the original Myford taper attachment?

And how large angles should I aim for? Is 10 degrees too much?

Thread: Return of the Shaper
09/08/2017 19:52:15
Posted by David Standing 1 on 09/08/2017 19:32:58:

Wiping swarf off with a bare hand? crying surprise

Got a problem? sad

It was soft aluminium, and not very fine chips. A chip brush would be better though, and I would use one on sharper chips especially.

09/08/2017 19:46:33

To clarify, the first video I posted titled "Whipp shaper" was not mine. I just think it was a nice video with appropriate music

The second video is mine.

09/08/2017 16:22:11

And this is my small shaper. It has 200mm ( 8" ) capacity.

Edited By Thomas Staubo on 09/08/2017 16:22:50

09/08/2017 16:05:40
This is a nice video showing the action of a larger shaper. Turn on the sound
Thread: Arduino &c for dinosaurs
02/08/2017 15:44:57

The programming is the hard part for me. You can say it's greek to me.

Electronics I can manage far better. I searched for "Arduino GUI" to see if there's an easier way. And there seems to be several GUI based programs, but I don't know if it's something for serious use, or if it's just for kids use.

Anybody tried something like that??

Thread: First Project
31/07/2017 20:50:18

Aah, that's the same size as the one I linked to. I don't think you can buy any smaller than that.

That means that you have to make your own tailstock chuck from scratch too! laugh

31/07/2017 15:47:22

Great work David! thumbs up

Too few are making models of machine tools IMHO.

The tailstock chuck you attached looked out of proportions though.

But I have a tip for you; I bought a miniature chuck from Banggood, that may be more appropriate in size. I thought I would show the size of of the one I bought, by taking a picture in my hand, but I can't locate it at the moment (too small maybe? cheeky)

It has a JT0 taper, but comes with a tapered adaptor if you need. Dimensions is ø 21.5mm x l 35mm

Here's the link:

**LINK**

Thread: Restoring Beaver VBRP Mill
28/02/2017 10:39:50
Posted by Tony Capstack on 27/02/2017 20:04:10:

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and have just purchased a Beaver VBRP. I'm currently working out how to get it off my trailer over an 8ft wall and into my home workshop. Looks to be loads of useful information in the forum and I was wondering if anyone has an electronic copy of the maintenance manual that they would be able to send me as I'm sure it needs a few jobs doing on it before I get it up and running. Any help would be much appreciated!

This is for a mk2, if it suits you:

**LINK**

Thread: Cylinder bore surface?
28/02/2017 08:53:58

How about using flex hones, especially for holes smaller than the normal hones do.

They go down to 4mm.

Thread: Steamboat launching in NZ
27/02/2017 10:02:57
Posted by not done it yet on 27/02/2017 06:34:48:

30 foot and 1:10 scale? smiley

Is full size 300ft? Imperial length and metric scale? Please give us some more detail? Looks like a good draught, so may well be a good fishing boat?

a 1/10 scale prototype for climate change

Thread: Securing threaded backplate
24/02/2017 08:07:25

The grip-tru chuck with adjusting screws is a good idea, but I don't think I can incorporate that on my backplate now.

But if I'm not satisfied with the runout when I mount my chuck, or if I need extra precision, this is the method I would use:

Watch from 22:50

He has a slight clearance on the chuck register, and by loosening the clamping bolts he can bump the chuck so the workpiece runs true.

Edited By Thomas Staubo on 24/02/2017 08:12:27

23/02/2017 12:54:35

It wouldn't be that often that I would want to run it in reverse, but one purpose is to screwcut internal threads by running the tool from left to right (to avoid crashing the tool in the bottom of a blind bore).

Roger's suggestion with the clip may be an alternative. Does it lock the chuck on, or does it only prevent it running off.

Michael, I can't picture how your solution would work:

An alternative method of locking might possibly be to convert a radial pressure from locking screw[s] into an axial force; which would then load the chuck screw thread.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate