By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian G

Here is a list of all the postings Brian G has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Ambiguous words
29/04/2022 09:42:36
Posted by Frank Gorse on 28/04/2022 22:40:23:

I had also assumed that ‘shop’ ,meaning workshop, was just another of the Americanisms we were stuck with but in Stanley Holloway’s ‘Three ha’pence a foot’ Sam Oswaldthwaite followed his trade ‘in a shop on the banks of the Irwell’ and that dates back to 1932 at least. Also relevant to present fears of rising sea levels!

I'll see your 1932 and raise you a 1774 plan of Chatham Dockyard shewing amongst the various houses, lofts and cabbins (yes, two 'Bs before anybody asks if that is the question) the Glazier's, Brazier's and Plumber's Shops, the House Carpenter's Shop, the Wheelwright's Shop, The Smith's Shop, the Armourer's Shop, the Stone Mason's Shop and the Painter's Shop.

Brian G

Thread: Tufnol or Acetal for hollow bolt
28/04/2022 15:05:58

I just wanted to say thanks to everybody for their advice on this. We ended up getting a bar of Tufnol Whale which my son machined to make the replacement parts. Here is a photo showing the original and replacement switches, with one in place in the Planet gearbox. I wonder if they will darken over time to the colour of the original?

Brian G

tufnol switch body for planet.jpeg

Thread: Looking for a non-magnetic, strong, easily glued material
27/04/2022 22:16:28

Tufnol Kite is available in black.

Brian G

25/04/2022 08:06:05

Nice. Apart from its several meanings (which include precise, giving us an engineering connection) it is also Garibaldi's birthplace, so connecting it to two different biscuits.

Brian G

(Currently wishing the Nice biscuit in front of him was the much nicer Garibaldi)

Thread: High Speed Bench Drill?
22/04/2022 20:39:05
Posted by bernard towers on 22/04/2022 18:55:44:

Could you fit a elf powered drill head to the Bridgeport that way you still have X and Y movement?

Or possibly an epicyclic speed increaser like the one offered by Hemingway Kits, that would give you up to 6,000 RPM without running the mill beyond 2,000?

Brian G

Thread: Welsh Gambo
22/04/2022 17:38:21

Hobby's have the plan in two scales 1/8 and 1/12

Brian G

Edit:  I found the plan using this website, which you might find interesting Scale Model Horse Drawn Vehicles 

Edited By Brian G on 22/04/2022 17:43:39

Thread: High Speed Bench Drill?
22/04/2022 17:26:21

I have a Proxxon TBM220 which has three speeds - 1,800, 4,700 and 8,500 RPM, although to be honest I have never needed to use its top speed. Using the included collets (which don't go below 1mm) isn't very convenient, but the nose is threaded 3/8" to take a 0.5-6 mm screw-on chuck, and Proxxon sell a decent Rohm chuck for it.

(I also have a 10mm Rohm chuck which would theoretically let me drill 10mm holes in aluminium on the slowest speed, but it seems a bit unkind on a tiny machine with an 85W motor to try this.)

As a comparison, it seems to be at least as rigid as my Unimat SL in drill mode (both are more than rigid enough for small drills), and can go faster than the Unimat's 6,000 RPM.

Brian G

22/04/2022 08:30:15

Perhaps the most egregious instance in engineering terms (by a factor of 40) is "mil", which puts the potential errors in "gallon" and "ton" to shame.

Brian G

Thread: Left hand whit studding
15/04/2022 08:19:56

This firm stocks 6" lengths but says larger quantities may be available, perhaps worth contacting them?

stainlessautomotivefastenings

Oddly enough I found them when looking for 1/4 20 UNC which I thought might be an alternative.

Brian G

Thread: Cardboard Packaging ? A Cautionary Tale
13/04/2022 10:34:31

I'm quite fond of a quick wipe over with 3 in One or WD40 for anything that will be out of use for a while. Woodworker Paul Sellars uses a small tin stuffed with old flannels as an oil wiper (there is a video but I'm not sure of the current rules on linking to professional YouTube videos). It strikes me that a Duraglit tin would be ideal for this, it would certainly be better at holding 3-in-One than their plastic bottles with ridiculously brittle spouts.

Brian G

Thread: Imperial v Metric Measures
09/04/2022 10:32:56

I'll be honest, I'll happily switch between units depending on specifications, drawings or materials and to me 10' is about 2" over 3m. I have no problem with railways being measured in chains, within the railway industry it is an established and internally consistent unit and any attempt to change it would almost certainly be expensive and prone to (potentially catastrophic) errors during the transition period. On the other hand, I had no hope of guessing how long 2,300' is whilst 700m or 35 cricket pitches (chains) is easy to picture.

I fail to see why anybody would consider the imperial/customary system simpler or more natural. To switch from mm to m to km is just a matter of moving the decimal 3 places between units, whilst to go from inches to feet, to yards chains, furlongs and miles requires a number of sometimes complex divisions.

Consider the difference in gauge between the Iberian railways 5' 5 21/32" and the rest of Europe's 4' 8 1/2" standard gauge. To convert in imperial/US customary units it is necessary to either carry out calculations in three different units and somehow merge them together or convert everything to the lowest common denominator. In the metric system it is just a matter of 1.668 - 1.435. An engineer designing variable gauge wheelsets would find it far easier in metric than adding the further complication of converting the final 5/32" to thou.

Brian G

Thread: Arc Euro Trade status
06/04/2022 11:41:23

What error are you getting?

The only error message I could get up was "Add to basket failed" which appears if I try to add something to my basket without logging in first. Other than that, which if probably "a feature not a bug" as the saying goes, everything else (apart from checkout which I couldn't afford to try with my wife watching) is working for me on Chrome, Firefox and even Edge. I couldn't test IE as like my AMD graphics drivers it didn't survive my W11 "upgrade".

Brian G

Thread: Tapping straight
29/03/2022 10:55:51

I used to use a spring centre, either in the tailstock, mill or pillar drill, but this didn't work for small taps where the diameter of the rod was larger than that of the tap. One of these from Warco proved to be the solution.

Spindle Tap Wrench

I assume the link will be OK with mods as I can see their ad on the right.

Brian G

Thread: What is this wonderful locomotive
26/03/2022 19:13:08

Hi Andrew

I'm not sure sending me any photos would help as I know almost nothing about large scale or GWR locos. I did however find something that may be useful. Take a look at this website The Steam Workshop which shows a example of a Greenly Hall. The first photo in the fourth row seems to me to show a rocker in the same place as yours. I have snipped this from the image.

Brian G (Edited to remove rogue smiley - this forum seems to breed them)

hall photo.jpg

Edited By Brian G on 26/03/2022 19:14:31

26/03/2022 16:46:48

Maxitrak can supply drawings from the Greenly archive, perhaps you could buy the GA sheet for his 5" Hall and see if yours matches?

Brian G

Thread: Indicator
24/03/2022 20:26:41
Posted by JasonB on 24/03/2022 18:25:06:

And what do you call a dial gauge or indicator when it has a digital readoutdevil

Edited By JasonB on 24/03/2022 18:25:31

A Vernier? (It seems popular with calipers) cheeky

Incidentally, Gauge vs. Gage provides written proof that English and American are different languages as Starrett UK and US use different spellings in their catalogue / catalog.

Brian G

Thread: Pressurised vs loft tank CH systems?
20/03/2022 17:31:05

Can the user easily descale a combi boiler in a hard water area? With a separate hot water and header tank it is a simple job to remove and replace or descale the hot water tank and doesn't require a gas fitter.

Brian G

Thread: Looting
19/03/2022 07:06:37

The term goes back a long way, Joseph Priestley invented a new lute that wouldn't contaminate his experiments on gases, and on one occasion noted that so much gas was produced that it broke his lute.

Brian G

Thread: How Many People Does it Take to Change a Lightbulb on the Forum?
11/03/2022 16:56:09
Posted by not done it yet on 11/03/2022 16:47:08:

I’m guessing (probably wrongly) that Neil actually took his ‘statistics’ from a real thread on the forum?

My suspicion is that this thread may be self referential.

Brian G

Thread: Internet access alternatives
11/03/2022 16:04:14

When we moved to the country none of the wired providers could connect us as the phone lines weren't good enough, so we used 3 home broadband until we could get fibre installed thanks to the rural broadband subsidy. My son is also using 3 despite his road being cabled for Virgin because it is so much cheaper and it is faster than any of the non-Virgin services he could get. The only downside seems to be the latency, which sometimes leads to lag in online games.

It is worth testing the connection with a PAYG sim first though just in case the speed isn't enough and to get 3's existing customer reduced rates, as of today £14 pcm including a 4G router (I think we were paying £18 last year).

Brian G

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate