By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Roderick Jenkins

Here is a list of all the postings Roderick Jenkins has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Myford Metric Lathe Leadscrew
27/12/2022 08:29:43

Myford used the same 8 tpi leadscrew on both imperial and metric lathes, only the cross and topslide screws are metric pitch on the metric version. Myford's screw cutting chart is therefore the same for both the imperial and metric lathes. The metric pitches are not precise in the mathematical sense but are very close approximations, way beyond the accuracy that the machine is capable of.

Rod

Thread: Merry Christmas Everyone!
24/12/2022 13:54:51

Have a good one folks smiley

Rod

Thread: Any Parcelforce delivery issues during strike?
14/12/2022 18:06:15

Perhaps EVRI is the answer wink

An item I was informed as despatched by the supplier yesterday turned up today.

Clearly Parcelforce have current issues but with the others it would be interesting to know the ratio of complaints to volume of deliveries.

Rod

Thread: A very silly question.
11/12/2022 15:09:31

As a youth I lapped up Edgar Rice Burroughs John Carter on Mars series. There was fairly recent John Carter film which I ( but nobody else it seems) quite enjoyed https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Carter_(film)

Rod

Edited By Roderick Jenkins on 11/12/2022 15:20:06

Thread: Thinning a parting blade?
11/12/2022 13:11:19

Sorry to spoil the anti-woke taunt frown

**LINK**

11/12/2022 11:21:05

Mason's splendid little book has been reprinted by TEE https://www.teepublishing.co.uk/books/lathes-other-machine-tools-and-how-to-use-them/using-the-small-lathe/

Plenty of "all hard" HSS hacksaw blades available from Eclipse **LINK**. I have a good stock of broken hacksaw blades! And if they have broken they are probably solid HSS.

spt1.jpg

Rod

Edited By Roderick Jenkins on 11/12/2022 11:26:39

09/12/2022 21:36:52

Tim,

I have done what you suggest without problems. Don't make the thinned bit longer than it needs to be.

An alternative is to use a HSS hacksaw blade in a holder:

mason parting.jpg

Rod

Thread: Rust Protection
25/11/2022 20:24:58

I've got 2 of these 80W tube heaters **LINK** in my double garage sized workshop. The thermostats are just cracked open and keep the workshop above 10C. Rust isn't a problem (except on free cutting steel which rusts if you look at it).

Rod

Thread: Looking for a cylinder hone.
25/11/2022 16:28:29

I've got one of these Sealey 4 in 1 VS029

In fact I'm using it today to hone the turning marks out of my Hoglet cylinders. It's been used successfully on several engines. Largest set of stones goes to 89mm diameter.

h71.jpg

Rod

Thread: Dryness
24/11/2022 18:18:16

I've had a skim through "The Model Steam Locomotives" and I couldn't see a mention. Nor in "Model Locomotive Boilers".

sad

Rod

Thread: Diesel Cylinder Material
23/11/2022 17:40:18

As a youth I had very little luck starting either a DC Super Merlin quickstart or an AM15.  Tug recommended I try making a Dyno from Ron Chernich's drawings in the Motor Boys Plan Book  **LINK**

Video below

https://youtu.be/AiBn-lSiUaA

Lots of advice from Tug in my build log on MEM

Rod

Edited By Roderick Jenkins on 23/11/2022 17:45:33

Thread: Workshop going into storage - Rust Prevention?
21/11/2022 10:07:53

I came across this link for VPI paper from Chronos only a couple of days ago

**LINK**

Rod

Edited By Roderick Jenkins on 21/11/2022 10:16:04

Thread: Best method of selling completed models
20/11/2022 17:18:15

Dreweatts auction house have an annual auction of models and locos

This year's has just happened but the link will give you an idea of values

**LINK**

HTH,

Rod

Thread: bandsaw / jigsaw
15/11/2022 11:30:08

I think we need to be a bit careful about defining the cutting envelope on these cut off bandsaws converted to vertical mode.

bs throat.jpg

On my Parkside, although the throat is effectively infinite, the maximum cut length is only about about 5" - not terribly useful for manouvering sheet material about but very good for converting medium sized lumps into small lumps.

Rod

Thread: Rod's Hoglet
11/11/2022 18:12:03

Well, I got the 9.5 mm reamer and a 3/8" ground and hardened dowel pin to act as the crank pin. After a lot of trial and error and worry the best I can do is to use the 9.5mm reamer followed by a nice new 3/8" H7 reamer. After tightening the screw the crank pin is very firm but the crankshaft pins less so. Does this matter? As this motor doesn't drive anything the only loads on the crankshaft are starting torque and the drive to the cam shaft (I think). If it does shift it will only be the timing that is upset. I'll probably Loctite everything anyway.

The webs were reduced to final thickness:

h68.jpg

The turned to final diameter. Don't let anybody tell you that you can't use a CCGT tip on an interrupted cut.

h69.jpg

I've chickened out of the shrink fit option, the webs are push fits and will be Loctited

h70.jpg

Rod

Thread: Eccentric Engineering UK shop gone
08/11/2022 11:04:28

That pesky Blondihacks

Thread: Early Stuart I.C. engine
08/11/2022 10:48:22

On the Miller engine, the plate on the side of the crankcase with the oiler attached is also stamped "STUART". It looks like the AE evolved. My copy of the TEE reproduction of Caunter's " Model Petrol Engines" shows a twin AE with top end similar to the single pics that Jason has posted

stuart 6.jpg

However, the " On the Wire" website has a picture of an earlier air cooled AE twin which shows an automatic inlet valve and the same cylinder head and cooling fans as the MIller example

stuart 6 c4s-stuart-ae-1-1910.jpg

The image data suggests this is from 1910. The picture below seems to be an early water cooled AE single with the same cylinder head and auto inlet valve

stuart 8 c4s-stuart-ae-2.jpg

The next question is: Did Stuart actually make any or were they all supplied as kits? I guess early issues of ME may supply some adverts but my collection only goes back to the mid 30s sad

Rod

07/11/2022 23:13:15

I came across this in the tea room of the Sammy MIller motorcycle museum:

stuart 4.jpg

Although described as an apprentice piece (they obviously want it to be a motorcycle engine), I noticed that "STUART" was stamped on a couple of the items.

stuart 3.jpg

stuart 1.jpg

stuart 2.jpg

It looks like one half of this air cooled AE twin (image from MEN)

stuart 5.jpg

It seems they were produced as singles or twins, water or air cooled.

Rod

Thread: Replacement 4 ribbed belt record CL2 lathe
29/10/2022 14:19:25

Sounds like a J section belt with 2.34 mm rib spacing. For wider belts ribs are added with the same spacing so, as KWIL suggests, cutting off the extra rib will be fine. If you don't fancy this then a 4 rib J section belt is readily available from e.g. Bearing Boys **LINK**

HTH,

Rod

Edit: slow again!

Edited By Roderick Jenkins on 29/10/2022 14:21:00

Thread: LOWMEX model show
29/10/2022 09:51:27

Enjoy!

Best wishes,

Rod

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate