By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andrew Johnston

Here is a list of all the postings Andrew Johnston has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 3D pipe runs in CAD
01/05/2023 16:15:52

I'd use a sweep function with a circle swept along a 3D path, as required. Mechanical CAD packages are not great for pipework. There are add-ons and standalone applications specifically for pipework, mainly aimed at the professional user.

In a similar way electronics CAD packages are not good at specifying wiring harnesses. Again there are add-on or standalone applications which ease the specifying of wiring harnesses.

Andrew

Thread: Vertex VTA13-3 tapping head
29/04/2023 16:22:02

It would help to post a picture of the unit. A quick search for Vertex tapping head gives results that have a passing resemblance to Procunier tapping heads, so they may work in the same way.

Andrew

Thread: Should I buy a posher digital micrometer/caliper?
26/04/2023 15:56:46

I use micrometers for almost everything. Small vernier calipers are used for CAD modelling of components. Large calipers are used when I exceed the capabilities of my micrometers >500mm.

Andrew

Thread: Simple question (I think)
26/04/2023 11:00:50

A Cartesian plane is simply a Euclidian plane that happens to use Cartesian co-ordinates, so the geometric definitions for a plane remain the same.

Andrew

26/04/2023 08:34:08
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 25/04/2023 11:45:08:

...dimensionless plane defined by two dimensionless lines at a right-angle.

Not true! In Euclidian geometry a plane can be defined by distinct three points, a line and a point that is not on the line, two lines that intersect at a point or two parallel lines. There is no requirement for the two intersecting lines to be at right angles.

Andrew

Thread: VFD - Where lies the problem
25/04/2023 16:52:39
Posted by Lynne on 25/04/2023 16:41:23:

...picture of the motor name plate in my albums...

Thank you, that confirms that the motor is 3-phase induction. Although a pain it would be worthwhile connecting the motor to a proper 3-phase supply to eliminate any issues with the motor. The motor will need to be connected in star for connection to the 3-phase supply, and then back to delta for connection to the VFD.

Andrew

25/04/2023 16:01:25
Posted by Emgee on 25/04/2023 13:51:15:

....using a VFD seems like a 3 phase AC induction motor.

That would be a sensible assumption. But I learnt long ago that the key to solving problems is not to make assumptions but is to verify facts. Hence the question about the motor type.

Andrew

25/04/2023 13:16:13

A picture of the motor plate would be helpful. The original post mentions an armature, which implies a DC motor. But a later post says no brushes. Is the motor brushless DC or induction?

Andrew

Thread: Myford 254 anti vibration feet
25/04/2023 09:29:48

Anti-vibration feet are intended to prevent external vibrations from reaching the machine. Conversely they prevent vibrations generated by the machine reaching the outside world. In a home workshop with only one machine running at a time anti-vibration feet are probably unnecessary.

Andrew

Thread: Simple question (I think)
22/04/2023 14:30:12

Precision vials are made by very slightly bending a straight tube in a fixture. A straight hole is the created and honed. When the tube is released the result is a hole on a very large radius.

Andrew

Thread: Major flaw in the world of engineering
21/04/2023 14:22:34

If the OP approaches suppliers with the same tone as the above rant then I am not surprised he got short shrift.

Of course there is a lot of knowhow involved in engineering, both knowledge and understanding which are not the same. Much knowledge is not written down but is gained by experience. However, a lot of it is really only commonsense.

To take the example given; the ML7 has a threaded spindle nose. No engineering knowledge is needed to see that any chuck must have a mating thread. So buying a chuck at random on Ebay isn't likely to be satisfactory.

It costs money to have people offering advice to potential customers, and that has to be accounted for in selling prices. The OP seems to want to pay bottom dollar for top dollar service - ain't gonna happen.

It's at times like this that one really misses the late JohnS. smile

Andrew

Thread: Is this a Warco / Metric thing...or am I just out of date?
18/04/2023 16:04:14

My 40 year old UK built industrial lathe uses diameter, much more useful in my view.

Andrew

Thread: Box pan folder recommendations
17/04/2023 22:37:05

I've got one, made by Edwards, but 48" by 14g. They are useful, but require some forethought as to the sequence of bends.

A press brake would be ideal for bending, but 4ft ones are extremely rare.

Andrew

Thread: Seig mill table not flat
17/04/2023 15:08:25

It's not as simple as just skimming the surface. Not only does the top of the table need to be flat in two directions, it also needs to be parallel to the ways in two directions. So I wouldn't go to an automotive shop. I'd look for a machine reconditioner who understands machine tools.

Andrew

17/04/2023 12:35:16

It is tricky to make measurements on a machine tool that measure one thing, and one thing only. The measurement as described doesn't prove that the table has a hump. If the table surface does have a hump as described then it ought to be easily detectable with a steel rule.

Andrew

Thread: Weird situation when tapping steel
16/04/2023 11:01:17

As per Hollowpoint could be all sorts of things. But my money is on too small a drill size. For M6 in steel I drill 5.3mm. Hand taps tend to extrude the material slightly. That, plus too small a pilot hole, and a 'gummy' steel inevitably leads to a tap jamming.

Andrew

Thread: Creating rectangular blind hole
15/04/2023 15:10:15

For blind holes with sharp internal corners i mill out the waste and clean up the corners with a length of HSS steel in a slotting head.

Andrew

Thread: Cos-Par Alfa 1 Universal Divider - Universeller Teiler
13/04/2023 21:48:06

Wow! Almost a home run; looks like ten gears (?) whereas a standard set is eleven gears. Banjo and gear studs are an excellent find. I had to make new studs for my my dividing head.

Andrew

Thread: Parting off using a powered cross feed
11/04/2023 20:01:04
Posted by Fulmen on 11/04/2023 19:10:52:

...there will be a loud and expensive bang.

Same thing seems to happen when parting off by hand, judging by some reports.

Andrew

11/04/2023 14:31:50
Posted by Martin Kyte on 11/04/2023 14:06:30:

How do CNC lathes manage to part off ?

Without fuss so as to not get caught and receive a rollicking!

Andrew

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate