By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gary Wooding

Here is a list of all the postings Gary Wooding has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Edge finder lubrication
18/06/2022 12:35:30

I warm it in my hands and manipulate it until it seems free enough. If that doesn't work then I use a tiny drop of 3-in-1.

Thread: Understanding chuck test certificates
17/06/2022 10:10:22

I'm quite happy to accept Hopper's suggestion - it seems to fit very well.

17/06/2022 07:09:12

It's strange how topics drift.

The OP asked the meaning of "long V" and "short V" jaws. Instead of actually answering the question we get a discussion about handwriting ones and sevens.

I would like to know the answer to the original question.

Thread: tool-to-parts contact detection using an old multi-meter
14/06/2022 10:04:21

That's very interesting. Because the the machine itself is conductive, I just assumed there was no point in electrically detecting contact between workpiece and tool, but your successful experiment shows how wrong I was. Thank you for a very interesting result.

Thread: FORUM DOWNTIME AND RESULTING ISSUES REPORTING
10/06/2022 09:49:29

Login took a long time (>minute) just now. I previously logged in at around 7:00 (that was fairly quick) but wasn't given the opportunity to stay logged on, hence re-logging on just now.

Thread: Does anybody know this company? Please Help
07/06/2022 14:08:22

Well, I've done it.

I've ordered anew from Brundles - thanks vintage engineer. Had I known, I'd have gone to them first - they were very helpful - and cheaper.

07/06/2022 10:46:45

Thanks for all the input. I wish I'd known about all those bad reviews before I placed my order.

Since I paid by Credit-card I've started proceedings to get my money back, and will try Brundles or PGH.

Thread: Converting inch to mm in dxf and dwg files
07/06/2022 09:42:27

How many of them are there? Can you post a photo of a typical one?

Thread: Does anybody know this company? Please Help
07/06/2022 07:13:36

Hmm, that's really not very good news at all. I've got a feeling that there's nobody actually there.

06/06/2022 13:02:26

I'm doing a REMAP job for a church. I ordered and paid for some wrought iron stair spindles from a company called "Trade Stair Parts" (website ***HERE***). I placed the order on May 3rd and am still awaiting delivery. When I phone I get a message saying that the number is temporarily unavailable. Emails are answered with a standard message saying...

================= response message ====================

Dear Customer,
Thank you for contacting Trade Stair Parts Ltd, we have received your request, however, we are currently experiencing a very high volume of emails and calls so it will take us slightly longer than usual to respond to your query. We will respond to you as soon as we possibly can and as not to overload our advisors we ask that you do not contact us by other means or with a new message in the meantime.
Please note that in line with our Website information we are currently experiencing delays on top of the usual dispatch times of 15 working days, we will try our best to get all orders dispatched as soon as we possibly can and you will receive an email once your order has been dispatched. We apologise for the inconvenience and appreciate your understanding at this time.
Kind regards and please stay safe!
The Trade Stair Parts Team

===========================================================

So, they have my money and I have no way of contacting them, other than actually going to them. But since they are in Halstead, Essex and I'm in Leamington Spa, it's not really practical.

Does anybody know if they are still in business?

Their address is

37-39 Second Avenue

Bluebridge Industrial Estate

Halstead, Essex,

CO9 2SU

Thread: Back plate
03/06/2022 11:09:33

Although I have an ER32 collet chuck I usually use a Stevenson's square ER32 Collet Block in my 4-jaw chuck. Or, if not requiring the greatest accuracy, a hex block in my 3-jaw.

Thread: 3D printing
30/05/2022 09:35:21

Joe: You have a PM

Thread: AN UNFINISHED PROJECT !
27/05/2022 15:21:18

My Centec 2B has INT30 spindles, and they're far better than the Morse taper ones usually encountered. A gentle tap on the end of the drawbar frees it easily. I don't know when it was made.

I retained the motor location in the cabinet, dug out the star point, rewired it to delta, and run it from a VFD. I can't emphasise how much of an improvement this is to a fixed speed single phase motor. It now has instant reverse too, so tapping under power is no problem.

Here's a photo of the serial plate.

serial plate.jpg

Thread: MEW Index updated to Issue 316 (June 2022)
23/05/2022 14:57:26

Thank you David.

Thread: New To CAD? No, but....
16/05/2022 13:37:00

Nigel:

I produce a large number of CAD designs in my capacity as a REMAP engineer and have used various versions of TurboCad Pro/Plat for rather more than 20 years or so; the last version being V21 (note, that's not 2021). I've created many 3D models and 2D drawings and got to be quite proficient in it's use. I always found the interface with workplanes cumbersome (but not impossible) to use. When F360 made it's appearance I tried it and, true to form, found it totally different to TCAD. I could 'think' in TCAD, but found it very had to translate into F360.

I set myself a task to model the next project entirely in Fusion. It was hard going, and many times felt the desire to revert to the system I knew, but I persevered and it gradually got easier. After a couple more models I found that thinking in Fusion was much easier than thinking in TCAD. In fact, when I had to modify an old TCAD model I found that I'd forgotten so much that it was like starting afresh. I'd hate to go back to TCAD now.

If you've made up your mind that you want to stick to TCAD, then do it. If, however, you really want to use a modern CAD system then take my tip and 'bite the bullet'. It will be hard work and you will certainly feel the desire to revert to a more comfortable environment. Both SE-CE and Fusion are free and have similar capabilities, albeit with somewhat different interfaces. They are both a massive step up from TCAD.

They can do everything that TCAD can do, and far better, with bells on.

You've had lots of advice - it's time to make a decision.

Thread: Another CAD challenge
07/05/2022 12:12:41

You can then use the Section Analysis tool to show the interior.

section.jpg

07/05/2022 12:09:23

In case anyone is interested in using Fusion for it...

First draw a sketch of the centrelines of the intersecting pipes.

sketch1.jpg

Next, use the Pipe command to create a solid cylinder along the horizontal line.

pipe1.jpg

Then use the same command to create the vertical cylinder joined to the first one.

pipe2.jpg

Now draw a sketch of the flange X-section on the end of the horizontal cylinder.

flange1.jpg

Now extrude lower section be low the flange profile to remove the bottom part of the horizontal cylinder.

flange2.jpg

Then extrude the flange profile.

flange3.jpg

The last step is to use the Shell command to remove the unwanted interior to leave a wall thickness equal to the thickness of the flange.

shell.jpg

Thread: Threading 1.2mm S.S. rod (wire)?
06/05/2022 08:04:12

I used a tailstock holder as per Jason's post, and have threaded about 150mm of 1.2mm stainless with a 12BA die. at slow speed in the lathe with no problems at all.

Thread: Electric bike fault
30/04/2022 16:11:12

I charged it a couple of weeks ago and hadn't used it until yesterday. I've swapped batteries. Each battery has a set of LEDs and a push button which is supposed to indicate the amount of charge. Does anyone know the circuit of such a bike?

I'll recharge it and try again.

Thread: 3D-CAD Package Shootout - Cotton Reel Example
30/04/2022 16:03:30

It's part of a spindle for some stair bannisters. I did it in Fusion.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate