By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for The Merry Miller

Here is a list of all the postings The Merry Miller has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Rechargeable 24 v drill
21/03/2013 11:15:49

The two Ni-Cad batteries supplied with my Bosch 24v cordless drill have finally given up the ghost after twelve years.

Looking at the price of a pair of new ones it's really a no brainer to replace them.

The question is, what new drill do I go for in the light of this forums' vast experience?

Len. P.

Thread: Arron Boring Head.
18/03/2013 21:12:50

I forgot to mention Alan that Rotogrip also sell the Arrand range of boring heads.

Len. P.

18/03/2013 20:37:40

Alan,

Try Rotogrip using the link below.

I purchased a Matchling head from them some while ago and am quite pleased with it.

Thay have a special offer going at the moment on the 2MT head (as they had when I got mine)

Len. P.

Link

Edited to stop adverts obscuring long URL

Edited By JasonB on 18/03/2013 20:53:46

Thread: Indexing head in issue 198.
13/03/2013 15:16:07

This is one of the the problems that arise quite often when the drawings haven't been created by qualified engineering draughtsmen.

Len. P.

Thread: Photograph of Wolf Cub drill wanted
12/03/2013 11:40:44

Two weeks ago David I could have given you one (pardon the expression).

I won mine in a raffle at work in 1954 when I was an apprentice and it hadn't been used for over 50 years. It was set up on the authentic saw table and that was never used either.

I eventually dismantled mine to gain access to the chuck and gears.

None of the above helps you I know but it's just nice to resurrect old memories.

Len. P.

Thread: Identification of Machine Vice
04/03/2013 13:37:01

Bob,

The images were reduced to about 150KB on photoshop CS3 prior to posting (that's quite small)

On par with most of the images I post on the forum.

Len. P.

03/03/2013 17:51:25

Evening all,

Is there anybody out there (Spooky) who can help with the identification of the machine vice shown in the images below.

It is 9" long x 5" wide, depth is 2.5".

The jaws are hardened and ground and the movement of the sliding jaw up to closure is sweet as a nut without a trace of slack.

It needs a bit of tarting up before I get to use it.

mv 4.jpg

mv 5.jpg

mv 6.jpg

mv 7.jpg

I picked it up from the Bury St Edmunds tool stall on Saturday.

I'm going to miss Peter (the stall holder) when he retires at Easter, so many incredible bargains I've bought from him over the last couple of years.

I would advise anybody who lives in the locality to get in quick before it's too late. Saturday market days only.

Len. P.

Thread: Cutting fluids
01/03/2013 10:49:45

Try "TREFOLEX", depends how old you are but a can of the stuff could last you upto a lifetimewink

It's a green paste.

Len. P.

Thread: Meddings bench drill details
26/02/2013 13:35:12

John,

One like yours that I was tracking on Ebay recently (you probably saw it) went for about £450, I stand to be corrected on that price.

I turned down a 10 speed floor standing Meddings recently (£200)

I was kicking myself afterwards.

Len. P.

26/02/2013 12:44:01

Thanks for your info Thor but I had already covered those links.

They refer to the more modern Meddings drills where most of the head is fabricated from sheet steel.

They don't go for many castings nowadays in fact their latest drills look like they have left style behind!!!

Len.

26/02/2013 11:51:25

blue meddings.jpg

Morning all,

The picture above is one of a 5 speed Meddings Bench drill. (not mine I might add)

I want to get hold of details of this type of Meddings and hopefully a manual or a parts list.

If there is anybody out there who can help me out I'd be most grateful.

Len. P.

Thread: Reference squares , Cylindrical squares and absolute methods .
21/02/2013 11:25:25

That makes it all very clear now!!!

Len. P.

Edited By The Merry Miller on 21/02/2013 11:25:43

Thread: Leveling a Lathe
20/02/2013 17:30:31

I've just read the article again.

It's not Myford specific but covers general setting up of lathes. No doubt the later article of 1988+ would be more appropriate.

Len P.

20/02/2013 17:03:01

I've just looked at my copy of the article in question.

It's from the ME 5 October 1973.

If anybody would like a copy of the two page article PM me and I will scan in my copy and e-mail it to whoever.

My copy says "continued from page 916" but it looks like all that one needs.

Len. P.

Thread: Inexpensive Chucks
07/02/2013 12:30:31

Well said Chris,

I'm sure a lot of us were getting a bit peed off with his attitude.

Len. P.

Thread: How do I add a ".WMV" clip to a Forum post
27/01/2013 16:51:30

Thanks lads, it looked like I had to create an account first.

It then asks for so many personal details etc. I thought I'm not having that so I gave up.

Len.

27/01/2013 15:14:33

Does anybody out there know how to do it?

(See thread title.)

Len. P.

Thread: Whistle problem
27/01/2013 15:10:55

test post

Thread: Drawings for Stuart No. 9 governor.
23/12/2012 11:20:54

Colin and Norman,

Thanks for your collective inputs. Norman's Tubal Cain version is the one that uses most of the castings that I have aquired with the exception of the main top section that holds the weights, that's missing.I'll have to machine that from solid.

Colin's version appears to be the later one from Stuart Models that minimises the use of castings but like Ian's I will finish up with a hybrid of home made bits, It's going to be fitted to an S50 eventually.

Ian, I'll study your version in a bit more detail later but it looks good.

Thanks again lads and Seasons Greetings to you and to all my readers!!

P.S.

I've ordered the Tubal Cain book on building the Stuart No. 9 from Waterstones (on line) for £6.26 plus free delivery. Amazon had no stock..

I think I'll look at Waterstones again in the future, makes a change from Amazon.

Len. P.

22/12/2012 14:48:56

Has anybody out there built the above governor?

I have aquired a set of castings from my club's end of year "bring and buy sale" At least I think it maybe a set but without the drawings I can't confirm this.

If a kind person who has built it can advise me on the correct number of castings I would appreciate it, better still if there is a set drawings available for sale or something.

I tried contacting Stuart Models but they are on a Christmas break now until the New Year and I would like to start preparing the ground for machining etc. before they return.

Len. P.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate