By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nicholas Farr

Here is a list of all the postings Nicholas Farr has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Identify imperial bolt size
27/06/2023 07:47:38

Hi, 4 BA pitch = 0.66mm, M3.5 pitch = 0.6mm, so in ten threads, the 4 BA will be 0.6mm longer. I've just tried a 4 BA into an electrical box, and without forcing it with a screw driver, it won't even poke through the 2mm thick lug, likewise the threads of the M3.5 screw won't show through a standard 4 BA nut, so I don't class them as compatible.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 27/06/2023 07:49:11

Thread: What fuse is required
27/06/2023 06:53:17

Hi Eric, you should have a ratings plate somewhere, which should tell you the amps that it takes. I have the standard Conquest lathe, and the ratings plate on mine is on the motor cover at the back of the machine.

chester motor.jpg

I think these machines are very similar, and mine has a 5 amp fuse fitted.

Regards Nick.

Thread: A Touch 'Pestoff'?
26/06/2023 19:21:22

Hi, I suppose if there weren't enough traders wishing to pay for a back page advert that you would like to see, you could've had a blank back page instead, personally it really doesn't bother me, unless adverts start to replace the content that I'm paying for.

As far as JasonB's video of Red Kites are concerned, I could have sent him a video of bats flying around last night, and keeping my security light on. It was however, fascinating to see the speed and the twists and turns they do, but did look a little ghostly as the light shone on the underside of their wings.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Cure for Tight Nuts
26/06/2023 11:43:04

Hi, I also like the idea of checking the thread pitch has been set correctly with a pen.

Regards Nick.

26/06/2023 11:26:25
Posted by Baz on 26/06/2023 09:14:24:

I have some reservations about turning all the thread off and presumably screwcutting a smaller diameter thread. The original thread was made that diameter for a reason, is it safe to reduce the diameter?

Hi Baz, I'll doubt it will make any real significant difference, and in any case they are normally used in a way that the heaviest loading won't be put onto the nut.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Titanic submersible
24/06/2023 20:38:27

Hi Robert, taking about vacuum pumps, I had to give a new chap a water pump job, you know the sort of person, been everywhere and what he didn't know, wasn't worth learning about. Anyway he had to set up a portable land based pump, which had a vacuum pump to prime the water pump, after about an hour setting out all the pipework etc., he came back to me to say the pump wouldn't pump the water, and asked if I could have a look. Well the pit he had to pump out was about 50 Ft. below a bank, when I went to look, I saw the pump on the bank and 50 Ft. of suction pipe going down to the pit. I simply told him there and then that he would have to alter his pipes and move the pump down to the lower space next to the pit, as the vacuum wasn't capable of lifting the priming water to the height of the bank, he doubted me, but I told him he had no choice, he wasn't very happy to have to move the pump, but soon realised I was right when it pumped within a minute or so after starting it, once he got it into the correct place.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 24/06/2023 21:03:45

24/06/2023 18:01:06

Hi MichaelG, thanks for your vote of confidence.

Though it is surprising how many people you think ought to know these sort of things, actually don't.

Regards Nick.

24/06/2023 17:48:44

Hi, having a quick look through the book Hopper linked too, and seeing how those tubes have flattened out in Fig 18 section 4.2., in my old job, they had a submersible dewatering pump, which weighed about 3 Tonnes, and it would pump water for about two miles, however the 10" PVC pipeline was going uphill for a short distance before dipping slightly and then a very sallow downward long slope to the outlet, this was across a quarry, all was fine and dandy, but when the level of the water got low enough, the pump automatically cut out, which was fine. The problem was when it cut in again, and it pumped for a short while and then tripped several times for no apparent reason, the electrician was called to look at it but found no problems, so it was assumed that something had got into it and was causing to much of a back pressure. So to cut a long story short, we had to look inside the pipeline, and it turned out that where the pipeline reached the highest point, which was a little below ground level for about 20M back towards the pump, about 6M of the 10" PVC pipe had been suck as flat as those tube in Fig 18 mention above. No thought was given to allow air to be drawn back into the pipeline when the pump stopped during installation, I had no involvement in putting the pipeline in, I might add, as it was a contacted out job, but it does show the power of our meagre 14 psi of Air we live in, and a somewhat small amount of water running downhill.

Regards Nick.

24/06/2023 16:59:29

Hi, there is a lot of this above my pay grade, but of course the highest pressure is at the bottom of the water column, which many of us had probably been shown by the simple lab experiment at school Old School Experiment so I suppose the implosion could have started at the bottom of the tube, assuming that is what had failed, but of course the actual pressure difference between the bottom and the top of the sub, wouldn't have very much at that depth. Unlike a compressed gas, there isn't an equal pressure in all directions in a column of water. During some of my day jobs, I've been involved in lock gate and stop logs, and the hardest part to stop leakage is at the bottom of them. Below is a photo of one set of two that a workmate and myself, were contracted to install the frames and the logs, in a brand new eel pass on the River Dove, near Stoke-on-Trent. Being brand new, we didn't get any leakage problems thankfully.

stop logs.jpg

Regards Nick.

Thread: Have I made a mistake buying a MT3 mill?
23/06/2023 12:25:26

Hi, my Warco Major has MT3, and I've not had any problems using it.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 23/06/2023 12:28:27

23/06/2023 12:08:27

Hi, Robert Atkinson 2 taking about imploding TV screens, which I also did a few, stand back and throw a brick at the point where the cathode ray tube meets the back of the screen, and if you get it right you get a pop and the cathode ray tube and any splinters of glass get sucked in.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 23/06/2023 12:08:59

22/06/2023 21:22:25

Hi, it doesn't matter what one's views are of visiting any shipwreck, those who have perished had probably earned the money they payed for the trip, and I doubt they deserved what has happened. I feel sorry for the nineteen year old mostly, having his life cut short at such a young age, being just three years younger than my late elder brother, both my siblings and myself realise how much he missed out in life. Rich or poor, young or old, it's always a tragedy for loved one's lives.

Regards Nick.

Thread: So what do readers want to read about?
22/06/2023 20:24:46

Hi, well I have no interest in Wimbledon or any other such sports, and have no wish to read about fashion, and I'm not at all interested in who or how many people go and watch it, or their dress codes.

Regards Nick.

22/06/2023 18:34:43

Hi, just heard on 6 O'clock news that the landing frame and the rear cover have been found on the sea floor.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Brought some rubbish back from the "recycling centre"
21/06/2023 06:43:39

Hi Nigel. you are correct, don't know why I said cutlet. blush

Regards Nick.

20/06/2023 22:39:21

Hi Chris, just because you could take your bottles back and get a refund, doesn't mean they got refilled, recycling glass bottles has been going on long before people have been aware of it, glass cutlet is probably cheaper to buy than new material, as well as probably having other benefits for making new bottles.

Regards Nick.

20/06/2023 22:00:34
Posted by duncan webster on 20/06/2023 09:09:32:

Everyone seems to have jumped on the recycle bandwagon. Whilst I agree it's a 'good thing', it should be the third option after reduce and re-use, but there's not as much profit in those. I cannot believe that smashing up glass bottles, melting them down and making new bottles uses less power than washing them out, we seem to manage that with milk bottles. Beer and wine suppliers would soon adopt a standard bottle if non standard ones were taxed heavily.

Hi, as far as smashing up glass bottles and melting them down to make new bottles, it doesn't quite work like that. You can't make new bottles just from used smashed up bottles. Glass bottles are turned into cutlet and is then mixed with new sand in the correct proportions to make new glass bottles, this helps preserving the raw material resources as well. Even milk bottles can only be reused so many times, as the cleaning process weakens them over time. I went on a Green King brewery visit many years ago, and bottles from pubs etc. came in from anywhere and any brewery house, they all went into a automatic cleaning plant, where upon the labels would be removed and various cleaning cycles where used, followed by a steaming hot sterilisation process, and inferior bottles got automatically rejected, and finally went into the bottling area. It is quite likely that the run of the mill glass jars and bottles from the shops, wouldn't stand up to the same rigorous cleaning process as not all glass bottles are the same, and window glass is different.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 20/06/2023 22:03:30

Thread: What did you do today? 2023
20/06/2023 21:04:43

Hi, after ordering a 12 to 90 Live Bull Nose Centre from Arceurotrade yesterday morning, it arrived this morning, and was put to work this afternoon.

cimg3302.jpg

More good service from them.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Father's day gift
20/06/2023 19:33:44

Hi Chris, I agree with what you are saying, too much western foreign sayings creeping into ours, they'll be saying you need to walk down Train Road next.

Regards Nick.

Thread: cutting a v grove in iron
20/06/2023 19:25:31

Hi, years ago in my old job, some of the old boys who had served during WW2, said that the Jeep got its name because it was made with Just Enough Essential Parts. I was inclined to think they were kidding me along, but it did seem to make some sense, as a lot of them were in use then, and the Yanks may well have just said that to our boys, but I still don't really know if it was true.

Regards Nick.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate