By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Colin Heseltine

Here is a list of all the postings Colin Heseltine has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What did you do today? (2014)
01/08/2014 21:09:11

Neil,

I had just driven down A38 from Pudsey to Lichfield and got caught in it. Got home to just outside Lichfield, all bone dry. Went to Cannock and heavens opened. Perhaps that tells you something about Cannock

Where abouts are you located?

Colin

Thread: Glasses
04/07/2014 14:27:38

I also use varifocals all the time and agree with Bill that looking under machines and such can be difficult, also working upside down. But a bright light certainly helps me. When I had my first ones, if I swivelled my line of view whilst looking at a straight line then the vision went all wavy. When I spoke to the optician he said some versions of glass do that, unfortunately this meant I had to move to a much better quality of glass. Only problem is that it was quite a bit more expensive, but it did cure the problem.

Regards,

Colin

Thread: COLCHESTER STUDENT HEADSTOCK ADJUSTMENT
10/06/2014 20:54:04

Watching with interest as I also have a Colchester Student (squarehead) lathe. Need to check its level and turning accuracy.

Best of luck with this Hugh.

Regards,

Colin

09/06/2014 16:08:50

Did not manage to stop the flood from flowing through workshop and partially filling the pit. Spent three hours vacuuming and drying out the floor. For a change there was not too much kit on floor, so no actual damage.

Colin

Thread: Chamfering on the lathe
27/05/2014 08:34:05

Hugh,

Thanks for the photo and the size info. Looks as though I need to invest (again). Will look out on Ebay for T2 QCTP. Would also like a QCTP for my Cowells.

Colin

24/05/2014 17:09:56

Hugh,

I cant help with your chamfering issue but am interested in which QCTP you are using. I also have a Colchester Student lathe (squarehead) and am looking to obtain a QCTP for this lathe rather than use the not very nice 4 way toolpost.

Thanks,

Colin

10/03/2014 22:19:03

Just finished reassembling my recent Fleabay purchase, a Corbetts XL 7" shaper. Fully stripped it down to bare casting, repainted completely, made few new Gib adjustment screws. Just need to make a adjustable motor base plate for the new motor which can be seen behind it. Waiting for steel which should appear later this week. All I need now is to make/acquire some tooling for it and have a play.

Colin.

shaper.jpgshaper1.jpgshaper3.jpgshaper2.jpg

Thread: Painting Recomendations Wanted
27/02/2014 13:08:43

I am refurbishing the Corbetts XL 7" motorized shaper I have just obtained. See picture below. It is now stripped to all component parts and existing paint is being removed as I write using Nitromors.

shaper2.jpg

What are peoples recommendations for painting. I am likely to handpaint unless advised otherwise. I was think of using Hammerite smooth but have struggled a bit in the past to get a good smooth finish. Would I be better with some form of enamel or Urethane type finish paint. Having visited local Wickes store they have Hammerite but also their own similar type of paint but theirs is water based as opposed to the Hammerite being spirit based. Any thoughts anyone?

What type of Primer should I use.  Would red lead based metal primer be suitable.  I want to paint all the inside of the castings as well as external surfaces.

Does anyone know what colour this machine was originally. It looks as though it was possibly a Green colour.

Thanks in advance,

Colin

Edited By Colin Heseltine on 27/02/2014 13:16:23

Thread: Adept No.2 Shaper
21/02/2014 12:02:33

I have been looking at small shapers like the Adept on Fleabay recently but preferred a powered unit. I found a Corbetts 7" XL powered shaper which is nicely made and has a small footprint. It has had the motor drive modified slightly from original but if I can find a suitable motor I am tempted to change back to original as it will make the machine a few inches shorter. I have put a picture below. The www.lathes.co.uk has pictures of an original layout Corbetts shaper. Just need to source/make suitable vice and tooling now.

I can see how people say they are quite calming to watch.

Have fun with your Adept.

Regards,

Colin

shaper2.jpg

Thread: Warwickshire Show.
18/10/2013 19:05:16

I went today and it was very busy. As others have said its a pity some of the larger players were not there. Catering left a bit to be desired. Went to grab a sandwich at 1:15 only to find they had sold out of them completely. Suggest you take your own.

Have a good visit.

Colin

Thread: Eyesight problems
23/02/2012 20:45:00

I regularly have to work very low to the ground and trying to read miniscule serial numbers is damn near impossible, especially if in a poorly lit area. I quite like the idea of the trifocal glasses mentioned above, muist talk to optician.

Colin

Thread: Moore and Wright Tachometer (Catalogue item 360) from 1960
17/02/2012 12:48:35

I have one of these and it's lots older than 1960. Have the instructions as well, but at the moment its location eludes me. As soon as found will scan and send.

As far as can remember set all the dials to zero by loosening centre screw slightly. Hold it against centre of item, e.g. item in chuck as the chuck is spinning. As it starts to spin the dials will rotate and the count will increment. Stop after say 15 seconds, read the value of the dials, multiply by four to get rpm.

Colin

Colin

Thread: Angle Grinder Cut Off Saw Attachments any good?
10/01/2012 23:13:20
I remember a number of years ago whilst gas welding chassis of car get stuck in an awkward position whilst weling upside down and suddenly having a large molten lump of metal fall on me, burn straight through overalls onto chest, got out from under car and it rolled all the way through my clothes to the ground. left a lovely burn mark for a few weeks.

Another thing that burns well is 000 grade wire wool. Was linishing off some weld and the sparks from disk grinder were flying past me but landed on a shelf holding pack of wire wool. Few moments later had a nice fire going behind me. It burnt wonderfully.

I swear by the 1mm disk they are great, use them all the time on site for cutting unistrut. Sometimes use a 110v cut off saw with a big TCT blade to cut steel bar. Works great but have to ensure you know where the sparks are going.

Colin
Thread: Fitting Power Feed to Chester Super Lux Mill
20/12/2011 22:15:17
Well,

Made a replacement dog drive to go on leadscrew on left hand end of table which is 1/4" longer than original and this has spaced out the drive gear for Align unit to the end of the shaft. All gears now mesh nicely and a quick test of all controls and the table whizz's from left to right and vice versa quite nicely and quieter than I expected. Just need to fit the table stops and central cutout switch to miller and find a location for the 110v power supply.

Learnt several lessons tho.
1. When learning to bore on lathe, make a go/no go gauge before starting to ensure bore is not oversize. Made go/nogo for third attempt.

2.When drilling hole for roll pin, do not assume that the Chinese Engineer!!!! who built the miller would put the existing hole in center of shaft. He hadn't.

3.Laser Center Finder is wonderful.

Kwil, I might change to your method with a gearbox, if I find I need full table width. But I think It will take a few more years practice. I am currently trying to build UPT from Hemingwaykit, and have a Stuart Half Beam to start at some point. I should have watched my father a lot more he was a time served apprentice at Cincinnatti milling machines (worked there all his working life) and I have had lathes and milling machines around since mid eighties. He still uses lathe and he is 91, but tend to be for turning for Dolls House furniture.

Colin
13/12/2011 15:52:24
Have bitten the bullet and bought the Axminster Unit which is made by Align. The only issue I can see so far is that when the new drive gear is fully engaged with the drive dogs on end of leadscrew the gear teeth only engage my about 1/8" with the drive gear on Align unit. Looks as through will need to remove the existing drive dog (held in place by a roll pin and make a new one to move the drive dogs out by around 3/8" . Getting the alignment right to replace the roll ping through the existing hole in leadscrew may be fun.

Am I correct in recalling seeing an article within last 6 mbnths on MEW on machining a dog clutch or has anyone else had to do this.

Thanks for all feedback.

Colin
08/12/2011 13:39:46
Colin.
Thanks for that. I can just about cope with 11" overhang. If the worst comes to the worst and I need full table travel I will need to move my Gabro folder out of the way temporarily.
My table is 9 1/2" wide. What width is the Warco power feed. Could you post a picture if poss.

Many Thanks,

Colin
08/12/2011 10:20:00
I am looking at fitting power feed to X axis on table of my Chester Super Lux Mill. The RF Power Feed unit from Axminster looks a very good buy at £208 including transformer VAT and free delivery. Does anyone have any experience of these units or aware of any issues. Chester do a similar unit but the price is higher and does not include transformer or VAT. I know you get what you pay for but I believe both units are made by Align.

Many Thanks,

Colin
Thread: Faceplate Runout
02/10/2011 14:18:55
Thanks for all the advice. As I dont have a powered cross slide its going to be a very slow job winding the handle. What is best tool to use for this job.
01/10/2011 23:32:48
I am about to bore the arms on the Universal Pillar Tool.

I have just bought a secondhand Myford 9" faceplate for my ML7 so as to be able to complete this task. What amount of runout is considered acceptable for a faceplate. There is around .002" at the periphery and around.0008" 2 inches from the centre. I have cleaned up the threads on lathe mandrel and inside the faceplate and can see no damage on either. The faceplate appears to fit well on the register.

Thanks,

Colin
Thread: Question re Universal Pillar Tool
20/09/2011 16:52:01
Ian,

Thanks for your prompt reply. You have confirmed my thoughts. Out of interest did you machine slot on a milling m/c or lathe. If miller, I guess you had to clamp down, mill a section, then move clamps, then mill next section. Any hints.

Thanks,

Colin
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate