By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Haine

Here is a list of all the postings John Haine has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Thread size on xd 3420 motor
18/08/2023 13:36:21

7.79mm would probably be within tolerance for an m8 thread - they are always smaller than the nominal diameter. What is its pitch? Maybe it's M8 fine?

Thread: Pendulum 'Q' value and measurement methods
18/08/2023 11:05:14

I thought it would be interesting to directly compare the normal distribution curve with a resonance curve according to the equation Dave quoted above.

normresonant.jpg

In this picture the normal (blue) curve is plotted using Excel's normal distribution function normalised so the peak is unity. I've normalised the mean to unity and the standard deviation to the value that Dave measured divided by his period, to give 0.001194. I've plotted the vertical axis in dB to make it easy to compare the 3dB points. I wasn't quite sure how to render the vertical probability axis in dB since it doesn't really have a meaning but I chose 20*log10 to match what I did with the resonance formula. The resonance curve (orange) used the same centre frequency of 1Hz and I twiddled the Q to to get the -3dB points to match the normal curve, which needed a Q of ~500.

What's obvious is that though the curves are similar around the peak they diverge hugely as one moves away, by 10s of dB.

It seems to me that the period error must depend on the Q, obviously, but also on the "noisiness" of the whole oscillator, and the amplitude of the oscillation which the noise is perturbing. Those factors are captured in the equation I posted. Clock B is a nice example - the pendulum has a rather low Q compared to most regulators, but it swings with about 4 - 6x the amplitude, the drive torque is very accurately controlled with a remontoire, the escapement minimises frictional variation of force, the whole thing is extremely massive and (for the critical tests) was mounted on a masonry column embedded in boulder clay; and finally the pendulum is temperature and barometrically compensated.

I think Dave's distribution looks very gaussian (normal) and is actually a very useful measure though not of Q! It tells us I think that the systematic variations are pretty small and most of the fluctuations are random, though they could be due either to the oscillator or the measurement system.

17/08/2023 16:08:50

Though chest deep in doubt, I still think Decay and Bandwidth are both valid ways of measuring pendulum Q.

Absolutely they are - but I don't think your probability distribution of period is a bandwidth measure.

17/08/2023 09:47:26

Wikipedia has a good collection of information on Q. Includes a couple of useful formulae.

Time constant of decay T = 2Q/Wo where Wo = 2pi/To (To is the full period).

Then amplitude decays at A = Ao.exp(-t/To).

Setting A/Ao to various convenient values such as 0.5 or 1/e then gives the various formulas for Q in terms of number of cycles that have been quoted.

Thread: Arceuro
17/08/2023 09:40:18

Have to get our ChatGPT subs so we can autoreply in the same vein. Should be fun to watch...

17/08/2023 07:29:04

**LINK**

All the information in that thread Joe.

Thread: When boredom overtakes, make something, anything!
17/08/2023 07:05:13

Nice!

16/08/2023 22:29:49

I thought that the following example of a run-down test might be useful. I took this from my new pendulum just after replacing the spring and rod. Essentially allowed the amplitude to stabilise at just above the intended operating point, then switched off the impulsing and logged amplitude as it decayed, measuring it basically by the photogate time.

rundown.jpeg

The plot shows the natural log of amplitude against beat time (essentially seconds). Nearly a straight line with a barely visible "kink" after about 15000 seconds. The first part of the run (around the eventual operating point) yields a Q of about 22,500. Andrew Millington pointed out that the Q improves at lower amplitude to about 24,500. There are essentially two flow regimes around the bob it would seem, at larger amplitudes there is an increasing square-law dependence of drag on velocity whereas at lower amplitude it is essentially linear. Note that the curve is very clean with very little scatter of the points about the trend line.

Thread: JoNo's Pendulum
16/08/2023 18:23:46
Posted by duncan webster on 16/08/2023 18:11:07:

...John Haine at 12:24 pm seems to be totally awry, as exp(-1) is 0.3678, not 0.6321

Edited By duncan webster on 16/08/2023 18:11:57

Edited By duncan webster on 16/08/2023 18:18:59

Edited By duncan webster on 16/08/2023 18:22:03

Oops! Quite correct Duncan. Told you to trust Woodward.

16/08/2023 17:37:21

By the way Joe, I love your angle sensor!

16/08/2023 17:32:38

If I may I'd like to comment on Dave's method. It seems to me that the resemblance of the normal distribution curve to a resonance curve is tempting but unfortunate. Assuming that Dave's period distribution is normal, its width is characterised by just one parameter, the standard deviation. The "-3dB" points are related to this but superfluous.

In practice the width of the period distribution must depend on the amplitude and noise level (i.e. the "signal to noise ratio" as well as on Q. So buried in Dave's computation is this SNR, which itself is also determined by Q (as this determines the bandwidth of the noise which is affecting the period). So one can't take the width of the distribution compared to the mean as the Q since actually if the noise was zero Q would apparently be infinite! Some time back I looked at this and I think this equation for the rms period variation is accurate for a pendulum with small swing, in equilibrium amplitude, at frequency Fo, Q, amplitude a, and mass m, where N is the spectral density of the noise force component of the impulse.

noise2.jpg

To compute Q from this you would need to know N. Pendulum Q can be measured most directly by a run-down test. Electronics Q is generally best measured as bandwidth or sometimes magnification factor.

Thread: JoNo's Pendulum
16/08/2023 17:08:05

Well Philip Woodward was a respected mathematician as well as horologist and I think we can trust him!

If you take my expression:

An/A0 = exp(-n*pi/Q)

If An/A0 = 1/2 then exp(n*pi/Q) = 2

Or n*pi/Q = ln(2)

Q = n*pi/ln(2) which is Woodward's formula.

Edited By John Haine on 16/08/2023 17:08:47

Edited By John Haine on 16/08/2023 17:34:08

16/08/2023 12:24:31

An/A0 = exp(-n*pi/Q), where n is number of periods. So if ln(An/A0) = -1, then Q = n*pi.

So An/Ao = exp(-1) = 0.6321. Count cycles until amplitude is 63.2%, multiply by pi.

16/08/2023 07:49:50

Very interesting approach Joe!

Sinusoidal drive was used in a couple of clocks by Ned Bigelow in the US. He used a moving magnet design with a large number of turns on his coils. This gave a high transduction coefficient "K" which allowed him to connect the pendulum as the resonator in a simple oscillator circuit - in effect he had a resonant circuit with the Q of the pendulum. IIRC "K" is the volts/m/s as well as newtons/ampere - same value different units. I looked at using a similar approach with my design but K is very small so the impedance would be swamped by the circuit parasitics. Do you have any measurements for your drive arrangement? I did consider using sinusoidal drive in the way you are proposing and still might, so looking forward to seeing your results.

On the suspension, the arrangement you have for the trunnion bearing makes it hard for the pendulum to hang truly vertical "back and forth" as there will be some friction between the bar and vees (yes, I know I use a similar arrangement!). IIRC the maximum hanging angle is something like arcsin(coefficient of friction), it's in Matthys' book. Doug Bateman simply has a flat surface on the "brackets" so the pendulum can roll to verticality. Or one could use ball bearings to reduce friction but also constrain the pendulum back-and-forth.

Thread: Precision pendulum techniques
16/08/2023 07:02:09
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 15/08/2023 22:41:40:

John,

Unless you have a data-sheet for the filter you are using, I can only guess … But I think what you have there is, at best, a ‘brick-wall’ low pass filter not a band-pass filter [which would normally need to be dichroic].

I am too tired now, but I will try to find some reference documents tomorrow.

MichaelG.

I'm sure that's right Michael - from memory when looking for it, at the price it could only be "brick wall lowpass". At 2mm thick it cant be dichroic anyway.

15/08/2023 22:14:57

Dave, perhaps time to start taking some ADev plots to get a feel for what sort of noise you have?

Michael said:

"Therefore … Stray light problems might be considerably reduced by inserting a suitable narrow-band-pass filter in the beam path."

This I have done by inserting a strip of 2mm filter material (made for IR videoing to put in front of a light source) in front of the detector side of the sensor. Visually it's dead black but seems to have zero effect on the sensitivity of the Sharp but does get rid of the non-IR content of ambient illumination. Still a problem with sunlight that has a lot of IR which is why I plan to put some 3M solar film over the glass door of the case.

Thread: ER collet chuck for Super 7
15/08/2023 21:15:59
Posted by Grindstone Cowboy on 15/08/2023 19:02:32:

Thinking of making a direct screw-on type for my Boxford C, but not sure whether to go for ER32 or ER40. Any suggestions which might be preferable?

Thanks,Rob

What's the spindle bore? I got ER40 for my big bore Super 7 to accommodate the maximum diameter the bore could but otherwise ER32 would have been fine.

15/08/2023 12:36:22

Look at Arc Eurotrade for ER collet chucks and backplates. You'll have to turn the latter to fit your chuck.

Don't even think about the MT2 type for use in the lathe - too much overhang and you loose the ability to put material through the bore.

Thread: new motor for an L5
14/08/2023 17:07:04

No contest, fit a decent 3 phase and a VFD.

Thread: Precision pendulum techniques
14/08/2023 13:09:11
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 14/08/2023 12:50:38:

… I would be interested to see the the raw data, if you have it to hand.

MichaelG.

On its way to you Michael, together with a write-up, by email.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate