By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Anthony Knights

Here is a list of all the postings Anthony Knights has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: "Kiv" or Kiev?
31/03/2022 17:50:26

Rik. you forgot Happisburg (Haisborough) and Whymondham (Windham).

Thread: Todays daft question
21/03/2022 12:56:58

end_mill.jpg

If the usual way of using these is to cut using the flutes(i.e. on the side), why are they called "End Mills"

Thread: Pressurised vs loft tank CH systems?
20/03/2022 17:43:11
Instantaneous water heating.

Advantages are:-
No need for hot water cylinder or cold water header tank.
Less loss from constantly held hot water.

Instantaneous water heating? You must be joking. I used to have hot water tank upstairs before I had the new boiler fitted. It used to take a while before the hot water came through, but the new boiler is even worse. I must run off almost of a gallon of water before the hot water comes through and that is in the bathroom where the the boiler is about a metre away on the other side of the wall. The kitchen is even worse. Of course, even though we have been up to are backsides recently with flood water, in a few weeks time we will be told by the water "organisations" that we are short of water and need to use it sparingly. Not much chance of that when I have to run off a gallon before it gets hot.

Edited By Anthony Knights on 20/03/2022 17:45:21

Thread: What is this
19/03/2022 02:31:13

When I said bore, I was referring to the keyed bore of the device, this being the method of attaching it to whatever machine it came off.

Thread: Warco WM14 mill electrical failure.
19/03/2022 02:27:28

Its possible that the speed control potentiometer has gone faulty, with an intermittent contact between the wiper and the track. A squirt of "Servisol" might fix it. If not a new potentiometer will be worth trying before splashing out on a new control board. Hope this helps.

Anthony

Thread: What is this
19/03/2022 02:18:30

I would guess at some sort of special chuck/faceplate, the bore fitting the spindle on a wood turning machine.

Thread: Is this a record fuel price ?
12/03/2022 19:43:24

I'm glad I filled my tank right up two weeks ago. I only did 11,000 miles last year.

Thread: Financial surnames
10/03/2022 08:38:47

One would hope that Mr and Mrs Cart did not name their son Orsen.

09/03/2022 02:28:09

I once knew a lady called Teresa Green.

Thread: speed control pcb for Clarke CL300 lathe
07/03/2022 09:47:47

When the potentiometer is in the OFF position, the switch at the back is supposed to operate the interlock relays, which are there to ensure you start the motor from zero speed. The buzzing noise suggest to me that the relays are not operating, hence no supply to the motor. There is a diagram by John Swift, of the relay arrangement in the 4th post at the beginning of this thread.( between terminals 4 and 6). The diode could be faulty or resistors may have changed value. Electrolytic capacitors also deteriorate with age. Good luck.

Anthony

Thread: Windows 10 "upgrade" to Windows 11 Anyone tried it?
04/03/2022 07:46:12

Hi there Mr Greene. I agree with you regarding the swappable front bays. They come in a variety of configurations from single 3.5" drive to 4 x 2.5" drives. Mine is shown below and takes either, although the the 3.5" bay will take a 2.5" drive using an adapter. Very handy if you want to clone HDD's/SSD's or just change the operating system.

rack.jpg

As for windows 11, I think its all part of a scheme to boost the sale of new PC's. Lots of people MUST HAVE the latest tech, no matter what.

Edited By Anthony Knights on 04/03/2022 07:51:50

Edited By Anthony Knights on 04/03/2022 07:53:20

Thread: Making a Carriage stop for a lathe
02/03/2022 11:31:44

Not a Myford, but my mini lathe.

stopgap.jpg

Thread: Glasses -- sometimes called headlamps
01/03/2022 07:28:47

Specsavers wanted to charge me MORE to re-use my old frames. Told them what to do and took my prescription else where. Now I have had cateracts in both eyes operated on, I don't need opticians any more and get away with a set of cheap, off the shelf, reading glasses for close up work.

Thread: I want chips
25/02/2022 09:11:15

Curley swarf can be a problem. I tend to use an interrupted manual feed to break the curls up into smaller pieces. About time to clean the machine I think.

swarf.jpg

Edited By Anthony Knights on 25/02/2022 09:12:33

Thread: (Another) Mini Lathe Speed Controller Problem
15/02/2022 09:01:56

That definitely looks like a power resistor to me. I suspect it is mounted above the main PCB because it gets HOT in normal operation. It would have blown up if subjected to excessive current caused by a short circuit. Did you trap the motor wires when you re-assembled everything? Well worth a try replacing the resistor before splashing out on a new control PCB.

Good luck

Thread: I am getting shorter - how about you.
09/02/2022 09:58:32
Posted by Dave Shield 1 on 08/02/2022 18:04:50:

My arms are getting shorter, or my legs are getting longer. Trouble reaching my feet to put my socks on in the morning.

Please advise.

I have the same problem. This gadget works for me.

sock_on.jpg

Thread: Turn on member location by default
31/01/2022 10:07:59
Posted by Bill Phinn on 30/01/2022 17:10:19:

I'm ok with site administrators knowing my location through my IP address,

Your IP address is not a very good indicator of your location. Did you know that when you switch off your router, you are allocated a different IP address when you switch it back on. When checking my supposed location, I have been in Barnoldswick, Skipton, Halifax, York and other places totally different to where I actually am. Good for us who are paranoid.

Thread: Smart TV
25/01/2022 23:15:19

hdmi-scart.jpg

This works with my DVD recorder

Thread: Anyone here got Amazon Echo Plus, Alexa?
19/01/2022 09:11:26

Call me a "Luddite" if you wish, but I wouldn't give one house room. When you have nothing better to do, track down and read the short story "A Perfect Match" by Ken Liu. (It's in the book "The Paper Menagerie" )

Edit to remove stupid smiley face.

Edited By Anthony Knights on 19/01/2022 09:13:05

Thread: 180v motor not working on new control board
15/01/2022 10:44:59

My experience with a Clarke CL300 mini lathe is as follows. The motor is a permanent magnet type, rated at 180volts DC. This is supplied by a control board which is fed from the mains (230vac) and outputs a pulse width modulated, 180 volt DC signal to the motor, which is how the motor speed is controlled.

There have been numerous posts regarding this type of circuit since I joined this forum over 10 years ago and a lot of the problems seem to be because of the lack of basic electrical knowledge by the OP. Having recently had a motor fail on my own equipment, I am inclined to agree with the conclusions above, that the motor is at fault. Before replacing it, the OP should consider whether that model is up to the job. Checking the control board output would also help, but I don't know if the OP has either the skill or the equipment to do this.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate