By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian P

Here is a list of all the postings Ian P has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Looking for someone to create 3D files for a project (and poss print)
15/07/2023 16:57:05

Title says it all really. I have tried Fusion and Freecad but the steep learning curve (and senility!) have defeated me.

I am involved in an interesting project that I would describe as commercial, its low budget but beer tokens.

The printed parts are to create the augers for a remotely controlled screw driven vehicle. Several identical components would make up one assembly about 140mm dia and 400mm long.

Last thought. I know there are 3D print houses but presumably they do not do design, hence asking here.

Ian P

Ian P

Thread: Interference fit bearing sleeve
14/07/2023 15:55:08
Posted by Graham Meek on 14/07/2023 15:32:41:

These damage marks could be ground out and some oversize rollers made from HSS drill blanks. This would effect a permanent repair.

Regards

Gray,

I second that solution

Ian P

Thread: M3.5 thread with 1mm pitch, very non standard
14/07/2023 10:44:06

The part is almost certainly metric, made in France and is 1mm pitch (USA No 6 is 32tpi).

A roll tap would make sense but the wood used for oboes is so hard and dense its virtually incompressable that I think a tap would have to cut most of the thread form. The hole is blind and only 4mm deep so I think I will need to do lots of experimenting

Ian P

13/07/2023 21:23:08

The picture is a Nickel-Silver stanchion-like component that supports the keywork on a woodwind instrument. It has a thread that measures 3.4mm diameter over the crests and as far as I can tell, the 3.5mm length has the same pitch and thread profile as an M6 bolt. The spherical part is 4.8mm diameter.

sam_0068.jpg

After extensive searching I have come to the conclusion that it is impossible to buy a ready made tap so I'm wondering whether anyone thinks its feasible to make one? It is not something that will ever be heavily used and its not tapping into hardened steel although African Blackwood is probably not far off!

Ian P

Thread: when you go for a pee ...
13/07/2023 12:44:45
Posted by david bennett 8 on 13/07/2023 12:23:57:

When you go for a pee, when should you wash your hands? Before/ after/ both/ neither?

dave8

Edited By david bennett 8 on 13/07/2023 12:24:35

Edited By david bennett 8 on 13/07/2023 12:25:38

You missed out 'during'

Ian P (no pun intended!)

Thread: Interference fit bearing sleeve
13/07/2023 12:42:39
Posted by Simon Williams 3 on 12/07/2023 23:24:06:

Good evening all

I want to make a phosphor bronze sleeve shaped plain bearing to be a moderately heavy press fit on a 50 mm OD hardened steel shaft. The bronze sleeve will be nominally 58 mm OD so fairly thin wall, and 22 mm long. The outside surface (sliding bearing surface) is pressure lubricated with EP90 gear oil.

How much interference should I be shooting for? The degree of interference must be less than that which would stretch the OD such that it will not run in its (lubricated) bore, let alone rupture the sleeve (hoop stress).

Can anyone quantify the force needed to install said bush - my press will cope with about 8 - 10T. Is this adequate for a "moderately heavy" press fit? Is there an empirical force vs interference relationship?

If it helps it's an experimental modification to an obsolete Land Rover overdrive gearbox, to replace an existing needle roller bearing where the outer running surface is damaged such that re-use of the roller bearing (or a new replacement) isn't going to happen. The bearing mustn't revolve on its spigot - hence the press fit - but I don't know how to quantify the tangential friction forces on the bush. If I've understood the mechanics of the original design these forces are pretty small, but that's the experimental bit!

Looking forward to the knowledge as ever

Rgds Simon

Is this summary of the situation correct?

You want to make a thin walled sleeve, pressed on to an existing shaft so will revolve with the shaft and the sleeve outer surface will be running within the (worn/damaged?) bore that the needles ran on?

Ian P

Thread: Making an alternator that charges 'properly'
11/07/2023 15:07:25

Being a subscriber to MEW only the original post made no sense to me. I did read it but without seeing the article was confused by coils (more than one) and how the 'feeble' N-S was obtained.

It seems also that there are two? output connections so the coils must be connected in parallel. If the output is AC then if only two wires I would make them the same (any) colour.

I have a feeling that this forum is frequented by more MEW readers that ME ones so not many will see the article mentioned.

Ian P

Thread: brushless DC motor for mini lathe
10/07/2023 20:34:49
Posted by Dell on 10/07/2023 19:50:25:

I know this is an old thread but if anyone needs a wiring diagram to convert a jack industrial sewing machine motor to a potentiometer including what resistors and pot to use I have it, I fitted one on my Pultra 17/70 under the bench and it was the best thing I did torque amazing even very slow, I even used the cast box to put the pot in just make sure it and everything is earthed.

Dell

I know it been mentioned before in this thread but the Hall device (and any potentiometer that is wired in its place) is NOT ISOLATED from the incoming mains supply so installing in a grounded metal enclosure make sense.

If using a plastic enclosure its best if the potentiometer has a plastic shaft too, also any wiring to the potentiometer should be treated as if it was carrying mains voltage.

Ian P

Edited By Ian P on 10/07/2023 20:35:32

Thread: Boring without a boring head on a mill.
10/07/2023 11:01:20
Posted by Huub on 09/07/2023 22:32:22:

You can use these kind of "boring head / Fly cutter". I set the cutting diameter by using the drilled hole as reference, backing off the mill the amount requested, loosing the locknut, pushing the bit against the edge of the drilled hole and locking the fly cutter.

Fly cutter

The HBM fly cutters look good value for a set of three but the are best used as facing cutters because setting to precise diameter is a very trial and error process.

The advantage of the rotating table is the ability to adjust the diameter of the hole being cut.

Ian P

09/07/2023 21:25:31

Whilst I do have a boring head, I found counterboring 20 holes much quicker when done on my 'rotating' table.

The holes are 35mm diameter and 40mm deep and the cutter is a 16mm endmill. I put a spigot in the centre of the table to centralise on an already drilled 12mm hole.

The rotary table (a VW front wheel hub with an ali disk from the scrapbox) is manually rotated.

Cutting the counterbores was drama and stress free. With careful adjustment of the cutter feed rate, some jobs can self rotate. The table itself was surfaced by that method with a fly-cutter about 40mm diameter

Ian P

counterboring 35 dia 40 deep.jpg

Thread: Emco FB2 (Taiwanese clone) radial spindle play
08/07/2023 12:12:08
Posted by Diy Addict on 08/07/2023 10:58:35:
Posted by Huub on 08/07/2023 00:02:22:

0.04 mm is quit a lot.

Measure the play in all directions

Keeping the indicator still and rotating the spindle for each measurement, the total radial play varies between 0.03mm and 0.04mm, implying a slightly oval spindle. But it's never less than 0.03mm. (Yes, the indicator base was mounted on the head, with the quill locked)

I also have an older 'Mentor' mill head on my lathe. Its radial play is barely measurable: < 0.01mm.

So I'm now thinking the play in the FB2 clone needs addressing. Unfortunately, it doesn't use tapered bearings - just a needle roller cage acting on the spindle itself at the bottom.

The parts are no longer available, so I see the following options:

1. Find a used spindle
  2. Lap the spindle and make a bronze bearing, as suggested by Ray Griffin in the thread you linked to.
  3. Try and find oversized needles?

I'd be grateful for any other options. In the meantime, I'm going to see if I can adapt the mentor to fit the FB2 mill - not straightforward as the column diameters are different.

Paul

I have a Mentor mill and I modified the quill to take a pair of taper roller bearings and a new spindle I made. I then bought a 6 speed head with column and bracket (to fit rear of V10 lathe) with the intention of fitting it to the Mentor. I had several attempts over three years but could not find a way of marrying the two together.

It might be easier to fit the smaller column and head on your FB2 than what I was trying to do, but you will have less rigidity and less power.

Currently I'm going to have to strip down my 4 speed head as one of the Tufnol gears has shed its teeth so only really have one speed, the VFD make it usable but I am now looking at converting to belt drive.

As an aside, do all FB2 'clones' have the same spindle bearing arrangement? I just thought FB2 clone just meant a mill with the same general design, round column, tilting geared head etc.

Ian P

Thread: Help Wanted - Rack operated tailstock specifications.
02/07/2023 20:15:46

Which begs the question...why not use the existing pinion?

The picture in the very first post of this thread looks to have an eminently reclaimable pinion and shaft, just needs some gentle work with file.

Its for feeding drill etc, not a precision measuring device

Ian P

Thread: How to remove this pulley?
01/07/2023 14:51:06

Lines left on the end of the shaft are from the 'Face Driver' used when the shaft was manufactured.

Your two lengths of angle in conjunction with the clamps (I suggest you move them much closer to the spindle so less flexing) already form the part of a 'puller' that will be a far better job of dismantling than any press would do.

If you cut a couple of notches in the webs of the angle either side of the pulley then the heads of two long bolts can be trapped under the webs. A stout plate with two holes and a bit of packing (a few washers even) on the end of shaft should be enough to place substantial pressure to get the pulley moving.

One tip. No need to tighten the two bolts to the point of straining or bending anything, once you have loaded up the end pressure use a hammer to shock the shaft/pulley.

Ian P

No need for a club hammer just to apply the extra jolt 

Edited By Ian P on 01/07/2023 14:53:02

30/06/2023 20:47:22

If your photo showed the end of the shaft it might be possible someone could suggest how to remove it.

Could it be taper lock

It looks like pretty normal Poly Vee pulley and once the rubber remnants are removed will make excellent contact with the matching 'V' shaped ribs on the belt.

Ian P

Thread: Help Wanted - Rack operated tailstock specifications.
29/06/2023 15:59:43

My goto solution when identifying gears is the HPC catalogue

Link to their catalogue request page

Ian P

Thread: shop tour part 1
21/06/2023 16:27:54

I'm most impressed with the solid (real wood!) wood benches, cabinets and drawers. In the UK we might see melamine faced chipboard.

What are the enclosures (with some sort of water feed bottles), are they beehives?

Ian P

Thread: What are these used for
20/06/2023 16:57:02

I think Martin meant holes for shoe laces

Ian P

20/06/2023 15:52:32

I don't get the frogs connection but 'Rivit Rivit' brings back memory of a BBC programme (which I have forgotten the title of) that came some time after 'The Great Egg Race'.

Teams of young contestants competed against each other in the studio with various practical craft and technology challenges, I'm sure I recall rivit rivit being the name one team gave their construction (whilst it climbed a rope?).

Ian P

20/06/2023 14:14:36

They could be used to stop Bowden cable fraying, fitted as ferrules on electrical wiring, inserts in compression fittings, eyelets for leather work... and for thousands of other purposes.

However at the end of the pictured items are generally known as tubular eyelets. (Google images gives plenty examples)

Ian P

Thread: Electrical Newbie....please help!
16/06/2023 14:09:16

There has been plenty of advice and guidance given so far on this topic and I think it is pointless adding more and more until the OP gives some more information.

On the face of it the original enquiry is a genuine request and one which forum members here are more than willing to assist with but until 'Steven Brown 1' re-appears we may as well leave things dormant.

Ian P

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate