Questions on an Electronics Expert

Electronics

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Raymond Hodges26/12/2014 13:47:22
71 forum posts
1 photos

Hello there

I know very little about electronics although i am able to read a circuit diagram, and solder components onto a PCB, but thats all.

Q1 In a circuit a Bridge Rectifier is required (12v 2A), does it matter how big the Rectifier is so long as it is more than that required.

Q2 How can i establish what type of a transformer i have not knowing the primery voltage or the output.

Thank you

Ray

frank brown26/12/2014 14:15:45
436 forum posts
5 photos

A1, if the transformer is delivering X volts, then the voltage of the diodes must be 1.4 times X volts or greater.

A2. Very difficult, the best way is to get a bit of low voltage AC, say 6V from a bell transformer and wire it to a low voltage winding (thick wires) and measure the input voltage from your bell transformer and the output voltage on the other windings. eg, voltage from bell transformer = 4V, voltage on windings, 17 V, and 80v. This would mean that the 80V winding was the mains (230V), the 17V would be 17/80 X 230 ~ 45V and the 4 V winding was actually 12V.

The actual power depends on how hot the transformer can get. Best to compare with a known example.

Frank

John Haine26/12/2014 14:34:25
5563 forum posts
322 photos

Q1 basically no, as long as the diode breakdown voltage is as Frank says, bigger is fine.

Q2 - that method is not recommended! If the low voltage winding you connected to was 4v say there would be 230 v on one of the other windings. Also it may not even be a mains transformer, could be an audio one. Frankly I suggest that you buy the transformer you need so you have a known quantity. You could post some photos of what you have?

WALLACE26/12/2014 15:25:22
304 forum posts
17 photos
Don't forget there's going to be a 0.7v drop across each diode....

There's a very good freebie programme - Google 'PSU Designer'that can simulate simple power supply circuits.

W.
WALLACE26/12/2014 15:55:10
304 forum posts
17 photos
Wrt to 2 - someone with a bit of experience would get a fairly food idea on the type - and if a power tranny - the wattage or 'VA' just just by looking at it - a 50VA transformer for example, is pretty much the same size as any other 50VA one. The primary and secondary windings I would identify and quantify by using a meter and 'Variac' - that's probably a little too dangerous if you have limited experience with messing about with potentially lethal mains voltages.

W.
Les Jones 126/12/2014 16:10:24
2292 forum posts
159 photos

Hi Ray,
A1
If you are using a large capacitor after the bridge rectifier I would suggest using at least a 4 amp rating bridge rectifier as the current will be in the form of short high current spikes.

A2
I agree with John Haine's comment that you should obtain a transformer with known ratings. I would not consider using a transformer unless I at least knew the primary voltage.

Les.

Harold Hall 126/12/2014 18:58:18
418 forum posts
4 photos

Ray

The following web pages deal with AC to AC and AC to DC conversion, the latter, particularly using a transformer, rectifier bridge and possibly an added smoothing capacitor. You may find this useful. **LINK**

Harold

Raymond Hodges26/12/2014 21:42:25
71 forum posts
1 photos

Well i am overwhelmed i didnt expect quite as much advice thank you all.

The bridge rectifier required in the circuit is a 50v 4A, i have a 1000v 25A Bridge rectifier wold that work?

I will take the advice from John Haine an Buy one.

Your link Harold, i will try to understand it a bit more.

Ray

Edited By Raymond Hodges on 26/12/2014 21:43:02

Les Jones 126/12/2014 22:57:17
2292 forum posts
159 photos

Hi Ray,
The 1000V 25 amp bridge will work fine. I was going to suggest using a 12 volt 50 watt lighting transformer but looking on eBay all the lighting transformers advertiseed are the electronic type which will not be suitable for your application.It may be cheaper to buy a ready made 12 volt DC power supply. Some idea of waht you plan to power with it would help with with recommendations.

Les.

Raymond Hodges27/12/2014 09:51:01
71 forum posts
1 photos

Thank you Les

I am making a Spark eroder, or EDM, and i do have a lot of electronic bits and pieces which i am trying to understand a bit more about.

I have built one as described by Mike Cox 1 on his web site, it works but very slow.

At the moment i am gathering information on what works with what, trying to keep the whole thing as simple as posible.

Ray

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate