By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for NJH

Here is a list of all the postings NJH has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Myford Rear Tool Post "Block"
21/06/2017 11:01:01

Hi

Your photo shows the Myford rear toolpost - it has has a special QC tool holder and parting blade. The whole shebang is available HERE .

I have one and it works well - one for your Xmas list maybe?

Norman

Thread: Lunokhod
17/06/2017 16:16:06

Neil

I think you need a holiday! teeth 2

Norman

Thread: Merryweather Steam Fire King self propelled
15/06/2017 12:23:56

Werner

Absolutely splendid work! Really good to read a build thread like this. Even a bit funny - the trick of using Grannies walking frame as part of your planning made me laugh - nice to make it a family project!

Norman

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2017)
13/06/2017 10:10:43

Ah Neil

That is one benefit of Staffies - very short coat and no Hoovering after them............however they do still shed some hair. Indoors I often walk about in bare feet and once had a painful pricking in the sole of one foot but nothing obvious to see. It proved eventually to be a short, almost invisible, Staffie hair which had worked its way into my foot! I tend to wear slippers indoors now!

Norman

Thread: BA's VW moment
07/06/2017 17:05:40

Not this old chestnut again! What's in a name anyway? I guess we are all model ENGINEERS here and, as the saying goes " Sicks munce ergo I cudn't even spel injineer and now I are one"

Here , surely, we are all defined by what we do not by by any formal qualification relevant or otherwise.

Norman

Thread: We have upgraded
05/06/2017 18:37:12

Hi William

Yes the standard 3 jaw chuck for my S7 has "Made for Myford " on it.

Good luck with it I'm sure you will enjoy it and it will,teach you a lot

Norman

05/06/2017 10:46:55

Thanks Mick

I'm pleased that your wife had a successful outcome to her treatment .... and her experience is encouraging!

Yes everyone tells me it will be OK and I'm sure that they are right ..... on my list of "things that I'm looking forward to" though it ranks pretty low!

Norman

04/06/2017 21:42:08

Thanks Michael

That's just what I want to hear! I have an appointment, next week, with the eye hospital consultant for assessment. I'm happy that it's all gone well for you - but I would be lying if I said that I was not concerned about the process!

Norman

Thread: How to attach a quality drill chuck to a Morse Taper 2 arbor?
01/06/2017 17:41:13

Just buy a No2 MT to JT6 arbor and push the arbor into the JT6 socket in the chuck! ..Just make sure that the arbor and the socket are clean and push together (and a tap with a mallet might be appropriate!)

Norman

Thread: Would I need a Super 7 if I had a Myford 254S
31/05/2017 20:37:16

The rule is really that you can do small things on a big lathe but not big things on a small lathe!

I had a retirement job in a workshop attached to a university research lab. The 'experts' ( not me I hasten to say!) had a Smart & Brown and a Chipmaster ( much bigger than your 254) on which they produced some very small things ( Think hypodermic needle size!) The bigger machines are, of course, more rigid.

Norman

26/05/2017 00:15:52

Years ago we had a litter of Staffies from our bitch. We prepared the kitchen with new vinyl floor covering and put the whelping box in there. It was a great experience - she gave us 5 pups ( we kept one bitch and sold the other 4 at a good profit) From small furry bundles they grew until they were able to tumble out of the box ..... and then the mischief started! Between the five of them they managed to uproot the new vinyl floor and rip it into small pieces! We kept one pup and sold the other 4 at a good profit. The one you see as my avatar ( an old lady of 12 now) we bought in and is a relation to our original bitch - we decided that we would let other folk have their kitchen floors wrecked!

We wouldn't be without our Staffie - a good friend and, with her funny little ways, she makes us laugh every day.

Norman

Thread: myford motor
25/05/2017 17:06:32

Hi Garry

Have a look here :-

motor plate.jpgmotor conns.jpgreversing switch001.jpg

Edited By NJH on 25/05/2017 17:08:34

25/05/2017 15:45:11

Oooooh Clive!!

At least it seems that no lasting damage has been done. I guess a 6 month old Airedale is not the most sedate or quiet of dogs - good luck with the house insurance ......or how about the dog insurance? ( I guess they will say that you were "in charge" of the dog so it was your fault!)

Hope that you feel better soon

Norman

Thread: Chucks
25/05/2017 09:11:04

"Four jaw is much safer, way harder for workpiece to come out of the chuck"

Well maybe I've been lucky but I've never had a regularly shaped workpiece "come out" of a 3 -jaw -

On the other hand I'm always a bit wary when holding irregularly shaped components in a 4-Jaw !

indecision

N

Edited By NJH on 25/05/2017 09:12:34

Thread: hi
24/05/2017 19:05:17

Welcome Garry - GIVEN a Myford S7 lucky you. I have one and get on really well with it - any problems you have ask here there is almost certainly someone who will have an answer.

Michael - thank you for that link it means I can access the info easily - my paper copy is always in the workshop when I need to refer to it indoors!

Norman

Thread: Workshop tips from long ago
23/05/2017 23:52:05

.......and today you can buy an electric engraver from around a tenner! - quite a bit safer too I feel!

Norman

Thread: Chucks
23/05/2017 10:58:06

JA

Well you have been given lots of (varying!) advice!

Mine is get the lathe with the 3 jaw and get used to using the machine. Whilst doing so save your pennies and buy a 4 jaw independent as soon as you can.

I do accept that you COULD do all your work in a 4 jaw independent and you will, in time, need one - but you can get cutting metal straight away with the 3 jaw, gain experience and have fun! What you don't need now is additional difficulties!

Norman

ps I have 3 jaw s/c, 3 jaw Griptru, 4 Jaw s/c , ER collet chuck and 4 Jaw Ind chucks for my lathe. The 3  jaw s/c gets most use.

Edited By NJH on 23/05/2017 11:03:08

20/05/2017 16:46:51

Well what I've done today is drive all the way to Exeter to buy a carpet protector so that I can "drive" my swivel chair over the new carpet when I'm sat at my computer. ( That was this morning)

This afternoon I've driven all the way to Exeter to exchange the carpet protector for the one that I SHOULD have bought this morning!****!! The new one says that I have to unwrap it and leave it for 72hrs before use - watch this space! On a positive note the replacement was £15 less than this mornings error and my plastic card was thus a trifle heavier on the way back!

I think I'll have a lie down now!

Norman

Thread: Myford (Super) Seven tailstock locking lever
17/05/2017 15:42:17

Ah Ega - the story of my life - always a bit behind things! In this case I blame our daughter.. we met up with her in town and had a very pleasant lunch to celebrate her birthday today - I must have lost the drift!

Norman

17/05/2017 15:03:16

I'm a bit confused here. My S7 tailstock lever is at 12 0'clock ( or maybe 2min past 12 0'clock) when locked to the bed and at 3 0'clock when free.

Norman

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate