By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for JohnF

Here is a list of all the postings JohnF has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: The turners art !
28/11/2021 10:58:10

Worth a watch and the technique may come in useful!

**LINK**

Thread: Silver Steel
26/11/2021 09:12:36

Thank you Michael, I will log this and load to iBooks as a reference there will be much of interest I'm sure

Regards John

Thread: Plan B upgraded to Plan A
22/11/2021 20:21:57

Steve R, depends if you are rural ? but if so have a word with a local farmer. A tractor with front loader and pallet arms would be perfect ! We have moved several machines weighing up to a little over 1 ton [2240lbs] with ease.

John

Thread: How do you stop brass tarnishing
18/11/2021 12:01:59

Plus one for Renaissance Wax, it certainly offers a good level of protection to all metal parts, works well on leather as well. I have used it on display firearms for many years as well as other items around the home. How heat from say a steam engine affects it I have no idea, maybe other have ?

For longevity I think lacquer may be the way to go. Each has advantages and disadvantages !

John

Thread: How do they?
16/11/2021 09:45:55
HPosted by Vic on 15/11/2021 21:44:42:

Thanks John, all useful info. At some point I need to grind a tiny boring tool for jobs like this!

Best way is use say 3/16” dia HSS and grind similar to the ones at the RH of this photo, more pics In my albums. You need to reduce the cutting end only to about half the diameter, grind some clearance behind this, simple to do free hand. The only reason for boring the collet after drilling was to ensure the hole was straight before reaming.

img_3237.jpg

Edited By JohnF on 16/11/2021 09:49:48

15/11/2021 14:02:01

Hi Vic, I made one 1/2 to 8mm earlier this year, sorry no pics of the job but I used 1/2" Silver steel held in a collet, bored and reamed the 8mm bore. I then mounted it on mandrel made from 1/2" BMS with an 8mm shank and threaded portion for a nut and thick "washer" to lock the item in place. This was then mounted in a square ER collet block for cutting the slots on the mill.

John

Thread: Any Old Gun Experts out there?
07/11/2021 21:27:35

Not read all the posts but the tool is similar to an 1850 Enfield .577 rifle military tool, this may well be a civilian model, lots of military replicas about made by Parker Hale of Birmingham same as the photo posted by Rob. The lug on the side of this one is to enable the very strong V spring to be removed or a new one inserted should the original break.

John

Thread: advise please Warco WM 250 gear Bush
29/10/2021 14:25:32

Hi I’m not familiar with those machines but I presume you mean the keyed bush used on change wheel gears ? If so it’s quit possible that other suppliers of similar machines may have the same part? Chester, Engineers Toolroom, Amadeal etc

Or just make one !

Edited By JohnF on 29/10/2021 14:26:08

Thread: Pulley
28/10/2021 23:42:58

In the last photo I’m assuming the bottom pulley is your original with the 1/2” bore, it has a large piece missing from the rim. I would make a new one, not a difficult turning job.

However it would also be possible to effect a repair and bore out to suit the new motor shaft. If you want to go this way the repair can be done by turning down the large damaged pulley until you are say 0.200” smaller than the bottom of the V diameter then make a new V section from mild steel. Make the bore of this an interference fit, allow 0.001” per inch of dia. Heat the new pulley “ring” until it blue then fit over the pulley you turned down and allow to cool. Forgot to say I would make a step on the turned part of the original pulley and a matching recess in the new V to facilitate location when fitting.

I have used this method many times converting flat pulleys to V pulleys.

John

Thread: t-bar material advice
11/10/2021 10:28:03

Colin, Niels suggestion is a wise one but I would suggest either EN19 or EN24T as a material for your Tommy bar

John

Thread: EMCO FB2 Head Unit
07/10/2021 19:37:20

Have a look here for an operators manual **LINK**

If you want a parts list that may also be there if you search the files or I have one in pdf - message me with your email if you would like it

John

07/10/2021 17:47:06

I would suggest Power Capacitors in Birmingham **LINK** for a replacement unit, no connection other than a satisfied customer.

John

Thread: Bronze or brass
04/10/2021 20:43:03

My guess is Gun Metal which is in the Bronze family of copper alloys -- only a guess but the colour and un-machined surface looks like GM to me

John

Thread: I need to cut chamfers into x64 pieces of mild steel - any advice?
28/09/2021 20:21:06

A bit late to the party and have not read all the posts but here are a few photo's of a jig I made many years ago to manufacture small dovetail pieces with a 60* angle but you could make one to do 45* in a similar form, I just mounted it in the lathe and took a facing cut, there is a sample I cut tonight to show the result -- I did not have a mill at the time i made this but if I was doing what your early photos show I would make a jig to hold several pieces and in a vice on the mill and use a standard endmill. John

6d8a142b-2796-4e9d-ad9a-009f78efb0fc.jpeg

a5e0ebf6-dcb3-4dd0-95cf-d3599bb77326.jpeg

3540a29c-07f1-42b0-9fae-b01a15bc9888.jpeg

462c5727-30a2-4874-ad82-c36516f197c8.jpeg

Thread: Annealing and tempering steel
24/09/2021 09:55:41

Andrew try putting pyrometer or temperature control in the search box there are some things that may be of interest. I find single words or 2 words in the search bring better results -- don't tell it too much !

John

Thread: Hello from North Yorkshire
24/09/2021 09:42:13

Hello John and welcome to the forum, where in N Yorks are you hiding ? Not a bad idea to fill in a few details in your profile so in the future if needs be members can look to see where you are and what you're interested in. Steam engines are not my forte but as Chris says there are lots of members who build these.

Thread: Ideas on how to make up a G-Clamp Swivel Foot
19/09/2021 09:45:09

I made several for a vice clamp, used a form tool to make the ball then made foot to suit with a drilled , nothing fancy. Do make sure the “neck” on the ball is long enough so the foot does not foul when it swivels. To hold in place close the clamp onto a suitable piece of material then with the material held in the bench vice peen over the end of the foot. I just gave a couple of strikes with a punch on either side but you can work around the top for abetted looking finish

John

35f5b0ea-563d-482f-9b64-e5449dc38186.jpeg

Thread: Myford ML7 accuracy
13/09/2021 10:59:52

Cal, I think the question you need to answer is what tolerance do you want or need to work too ?

+/- 0.0005" +/- 0.001" +/- 0.010" or ????

The next question is your budget ?

Then decide what size of work you want to do, I see several of the small machines mentioned which are fine if your work is very small but you are of course limited to their capacity whereas a larger machine will give you more scope

Hope this helps

John

Thread: New Member, New Lathe. Smart & Brown Model A (Mk 1/1.5?)
06/09/2021 14:48:42

Jinks, Have a look here on the S & B group **LINK**

May find something of interest or help

John

Thread: Marking steel
02/09/2021 00:11:24

Plus one for Duncan's observation ! I simply cannot understand why Youtube would allow this to remain on file, someone will surely end up with serious injury or worse.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate