By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Peter G. Shaw

Here is a list of all the postings Peter G. Shaw has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cheap silver oxide batteries.
09/03/2022 20:54:41

Peter,

Yes I did notice the 🇨🇦 but didn't then know what it was. Wikipedia to the rescue. So, sorry for giving a load of useless information.

Peter G. Shaw

09/03/2022 11:00:15

One thing that never seems to be mentioned is that SR44 cells, being silver something or other have a slightly higher voltage than do the LR44 range. Now, I know it's only milli-Volts, but it does mean that certain devices, my digital calipers for one, do last longer. I would also point out that the instructions for my digital calipers, do recommend SR44 cells only.

One final point that I have learned through bitter experience is that high street shopkeepers don't know the difference and will try to palm you off with LR44 units, and can get "upset" when you reject them having asked for SR44 cells.

In respect of Type 312 hearing aid cells, I use these and get them supplied F.O.C in packs of 6 by either the nearest NHS Audiology centres 14 or 27 miles away, or, more conveniently, by either Age Concern or the local library in my nearest town, still F.O.C. I can't be certain, but I suspect there may be other places as well, but have had no need to look for them. The downside, which may be a bit awkward for Peter if he uses non-NHS supplied hearing aids, is that I have had to show that I am a registered NHS hearing aid user, or to say who my GP is.

Peter G. Shaw

Thread: Too lazy or too stupid?
05/03/2022 11:02:02

re e-mails etc.

I get very few spam emails. I don't know why, and no, I don't want them. I do use the unsubscribe link for sources I have unwittingly or wittingly (is there such a word?) signed up for and these do seem to work. Another thing I have done is to use reasonably long complicated email addresses - this following an incident many years ago when one particularly email address I used attracted all the spam under the sun.

For those emails that are spam, in general I delete them immediately, and I do wonder if this may be part of the reason why I don't get many.

Another thing that I did was to set up filters to divert all messages containing a particular phrase, you know the ones - I am a prince in bongo-bongo land and .......etc. Again, I don't now seem to get many of these. In fact, a quick look shows that currently I have three message phrases for automatic deletion whereas in past times I have had around a dozen or more.

So, for me, email spam isn't really a problem.

In respect of reading/looking up bits of information, there is a problem, I find, in actually formulating the correct choice of words to enable the search engines to find whatever it is that you are looking for. Perhaps this is one of the reason people ask what seem to be basic questions.

Peter G. Shaw

Thread: Windows 10 "upgrade" to Windows 11 Anyone tried it?
03/03/2022 11:47:02

Mike,

I use Mint v. 19.3. I have used Mint since v 13. During this period Wine has gone from v.2.x to 6.x. Initially I used DesignCAD v2000, a Win32 bit program, which worked quite well but not perfectly. DesignCAD 17.2 would not work at all under Wine 2.x These days I use DC17.2 under whatever the latest version is of Wine and apart from the odd little quibble mainly to do with on-screen labelling, it works quite well. To be fair, DC17.2 is now quite old, ie about 2006/07 but it does all that I want.

FWIW, I have also used Paint Shop Pro v. 7 via Wine under Linux Mint with no problems, although I now use The Gimp. I have also resurrected Lotus Smartsuite under Wine. The only reason for using PSP & Smartsuite is because I still have old stuff saved under their proprietary formats which I can't open any other way, so what I do now is that when I come across an old file, I open it and then immediately save it under something more modern that I can then open using The Gimp or Libre Office as appropriate.

I have used Oracle's VirtualBox to firstly load Windows XP, and then via XP to load a DOS based database program which at the time I could not get to run under Linux in any other way. It was rather messy, and when, with some help, I got the database running via DOSEmu, I immediately dropped Virtual Box. Like Tomfilery, I too could save my data in a shared directory.

Although as I say, I am using old programs, and have no desire to update them, Wine has improved tremendously since v.2.x and I would suggest that it may well be possible to run a lot more Win32 bit programs under Linux.

Peter G. Shaw

Thread: Warco 220 thread cutting, pink manual and other queries
27/02/2022 14:57:39

Ralph,

I have copied the English version of the original dot matrix printed pink manual - complete with bad English & the use of q for p & vice versa. Plus a few pencilled notes from me. These are available as a set of 50 .jpg's in three separate groups (to avoid overloading the email system). All I need is an email address to which I can send them.

In respect of drawings, I have some drawings taken off my lathe. Again I can send these, then you can do whatever you want with them..

In respect of the indexer, I'm not sure what you mean. Presuming you mean the device that uses the set of 12 holes in the mandrel flange, then the lathe as supplied did not come with an indexing mechanism, therefore I made my own. As before, copies are available by email, but I must point out that the device was published in MEW135, Feb 2008.

The guard mounting shaft. I found it to be the proverbial p-in-the-b as it prevented me from working close up to the chuck and/or mandrel. I therefore removed it. Please note, as a strictly amateur, I can do some things which might not be acceptable in business, H&SE etc! Because of this, I have no information about it, although I seem to recall that the guard itself had a long shaft attached to it, on the end of which was an adjustable, probably eccentric, device for operating the relevant microswitch.

So, an email address via the PM system, if you please.

Peter G. Shaw

Edited to correct spelling (key or finger trouble)!

Edited By Peter G. Shaw on 27/02/2022 14:59:24

Thread: X2 mini mill way covers
12/02/2022 10:22:12

My X2 clone, actually a Warco MiniMill came with corrugated plastic covers for the Y axis. (Is that right? I'm referring to the forward & backwards slide as distinct from the side to side slide.) These quite quickly cracked and split in the folds of the corrugations. I then replaced them with other corrugated plastic stuff supposedly meant for this job but which also quickly cracked and split. In the end, I used an idea by, I think, Harold Hall and that was to use polyurethane varnished cardboard from breakfast cereal packs, lightly scored where I wanted folds. These are lasting much longer than the plastic stuff. The downside is that they are stiff and get in the way when up against the travel limits, mainly up against the column. Hence, as I approach the column, I use a slim rod, screwdriver, whatever just to lift the cardboard such that it then bunches up above the slide.

FWIW, I used two coats of any old indoor coloured varnish, just what was left in the bottom of the can.

Peter G. Shaw

Thread: I am getting shorter - how about you.
08/02/2022 21:03:01

One of my many medical problems is that of ankylosing spondulitis, a degenerative disease of the spine. First noticed when I was 18, now some 60 years later, I've lost over 3 inches due to the gradual compression of the disks in the back.

Which means that of my four grandchildren, only the youngest at age 6 looks up to me, the other three all look down at me.sad

But although the height has gone off my body, the floor seems to get further and further away. Can't understand it!

Peter G. Shaw

Thread: Right to Repair
08/02/2022 13:45:45

I quite agree that modern cars are much better than those of say 50 years ago, but having said that I do find that there things that are just not necessary, things that are plain stupid, whilst things that could & should be done are not. Take my present car, Toyota Avensis Estate new in 2013. We have electric front windows, and manual rear windows. Why? Also, the front passenger window can be locked, or rather disconnected, from the drivers side. Now ok, maybe a good safety feature, but it doesn't apply to the rear non-electric windows. Daft or what? There is a light that comes on when the door opens, but the ignition key is in darkness. Might I suggest that lighting the ignition key might be of more use than lighting the access. And so on, and so on. In fact, there are functions on this car that I have never explored unless I have accidently activated them, eg there is something, I forget what now, that can be done to the so-called electronic handbrake switch but which results in either a red or an amber light on the dashboard console. That caused me no end of worry until I found it in the inch thick manual. In short, modern cars are too clever for their own good.

Unfortunately, we are going to be somewhat stuck in a few years time. The car is 8 years old and was bought specifically because a) it was petrol; b) it was an estate & c) it was capable of towing our caravan. It has performed admirably over the last 8 years returning good tyre life, very little gone wrong, and achieving an overall mpg of 38. Which compares very favourably with the two previous diesel cars which only managed 42 & 45mpg respectively. Unfortunately, we bought this caravan, new, four years ago, ie just before all the present restrictions were mooted. So now we have a new(ish) caravan and an old(ish) car, And as far as I can see, the only car that Toyota now do which may be capable of towing my caravan is the Toyota RAV4 Hybrid. (I haven't as yet looked elsewhere.) But frankly, the future for us, as caravaners is beginning to look somewhat bleak. And I suspect that caravan manufacturers and caravan site owners will also be somewhat worried about their future.

In terms of repair work, over the years, well over 50 I might add, I have done a lot of my own servicing and repair work. But then, cars of yesterday were indeed much simpler although I do believe the rot set in with our Montego which developed a rather nasty fault in which it would start misfiring for no obvious reason, the ecu was temporarily changed, plugs checked, distributor checked and nothing found. Ultimately, an AA patrolman said "Well, all there is is ...", and he reeled off all the usual suspects, but included one which I knew nothing about - the crankshaft TDC sensor. And that was it, broken wiring to something which had never been seen on earlier vehicles.

Yes, I do think private motoring is likely to be restricted in the future, but it is likely that I won't be here to see it. Not so my children and grandchildren, including my daughter with a broken back and her adapted car.

Cheers,

Peter G. Shaw

31/01/2022 10:36:56

Chis,

Like you, I had a career in the telecoms industry, using the test lamp, Avo (or equivalent) and oscilloscopes. And in a similar manner to you, I too don't know what modern smart 'phones are capable of. But, quite frankly, I don't care. I don't want to know. My tape measure will still be working when the smart (ha ha) 'phone has failed. And lets face it, when measuring a bathroom, does it really matter if it's 86.189 feet? Or perhaps I should say 86.189 mm? Frankly it doesn't matter a damn.

The problem is that because the human race can now measure to incredibly small distances, or if you like given our respective ex-jobs, micro-volts, people think that they have to. A moments thought will show that in the vast majority of instances it just isn't necessary. Ok, perhaps you are calculating the amount of paint required to redecorate the bathroom. But when paint comes in 1ltr or 1/2 ltr tins, then what's the point in calculating to 4.078 litres when you will need to buy 5 ltrs?

Maybe I'm just a Luddite!

Peter G. Shaw

31/01/2022 10:05:15

I have had similar problems with cars considerably older than 2017. In one case, where the car was misfiring, the mechanic looked for fuseboxes and found one hidden behind a panel in the glove box. Ultimately, that problem turned out to be a faulty fuel shut off valve on the carburettor.

But the one that really got my goat, was on a 2007 diesel Focus which was suffering from misfiring under load at highish rpm. My local independant couldn't find it so sent it off to a Ford main dealer where for the sum of about £90, an electronic diagnosis was performed, the result being a collapsed fuel filter costing about £30. Needless to say I was less than impressed at having fork out £120 for something that previously would have most likely been found the easy, but old-fashioned way, and relatively cheaply at that.

Yours disgusted of Tonbridge Wells!

Peter G. Shaw

Thread: Warco 220
27/01/2022 10:18:58

Sam,

May I suggest that you use the private messaging system to send me your (or a suitable) email address. The reason is that I have, so far, turned up two photos which I believe are what you may be asking for, a word document I did some time ago on fine feed and a set of drawings which I did some years ago when I managed to break the triple pulley block on the finefeed mechanism. This drawing shows, I think, all the parts that you are asking for. It will have to be a pdf, unless you can read drawings from Design Cad Pro! Also, the measurements will be as I measured them, and I rather think that there is space for rationalisation, eg, a dimension of 4.06mm is probably meant to be 4.00mm. At least, if I was designing from scratch, I would be very unlikely to use such odd dimensions.

All in all, a lot of stuff to put on the ME/MEW forum - not for any reasons of secrecy, just the practicalities.

Cheers,

Peter G. Shaw

Thread: New highway code rule.
23/01/2022 10:33:31

I always understood that the idea behind this was to reduce the risk of drivers, in particular, opening their door in the path of a cyclist coming up behind. In which case it is a laudable aim. But, I would ask, what about that item, usually attached to the door which comprises a highly reflective surface, commonly called a mirror? Shouldn't the aim be to train drivers to use that device?

And what about drivers with mobility problems? I for one suffer from a problem which restricts my ability to twist which means that attempting to open a right-hand drivers door with my left hand is extremely difficult. (And yes, before anyone asks the obvious question, I do use an additional mirror for that offside blind spot.)

Now about the nearside. Who is going to be responsible if a passenger opens a door as a cyclist is passing on that side? The driver? After all, the driver is not responsible if a passenger over the age of 14 refuses to wear a seatbelt, so why should the driver accept any responsibility for adult passengers?

In a similar manner, who is responsible if a rear seat passenger opens the offside door? Are we to find that registered keepers/owners/drivers become responsible for naming passengers in the event of an accident caused by a less than careful passenger? Eg as already exists for some motoring offences.

I wonder, as well, if the car owner would have any recourse to gaining funds from a cyclist for repairs to the vehicle if it could be shown that the cyclist took no steps to announce his/her presence, eg using a bell etc.

I see so many problems arising.

Peter G. Shaw

p.s. As a matter of interest, and triggered by the Yahoo picture, I wonder what the legal situation would be if a pedestrian, legally walking on the pavement, accidently or otherwise, managed to knock a cyclist off their bicycle when said cyclist is illegally cycling on a pavement.

Thread: Highway Code
09/01/2022 10:47:14

As a matter of interest I've been towing since age 13, ok that was on a farm, but it was still 65 years ago. In respect of caravans, I've been towing since 1980. Back then, it was with Maxis (about 980kg towing limit) and a relatively lightweight - 780kg I believe - caravan. What I found was that up to about 40mph, or maybe 45, can't remember which, the outfit was unconditionally stable. At 50mph, it was stable until the bow-wave of an overtaking vehicle, and coaches were the worst, caused the caravan to start "wobbling", ie a pre-cursor to a full snake. Dropping the speed to 40 or so immediately stopped it, but I also learned to watch the mirror very carefully, and pull over towards the nearside as far as I could when being overtaken. Generally that prevented the problem.

Since then both car & caravan weights have increased, and certainly with the last three cars I've never had a problem with towing at the appropriate limit. Having said that, the caravan weights have been well within the maximum allowed for the car, although above the much quoted 85% ratio. But, I, or we as "The Boss" does some towing, always stick to the appropriate limit for our outfit. I did once try thrashing the outfit southbound on the A74M, but still within the limit - and paid the price in a very heavy fuel consumption. Never again!

A lot of caravan towers swear by a so-called stabilizer. I did use one for a few years, but in reality I never noticed any difference. As it happens, the present outfit has the built-in Alko stabilizer so I can no longer compare with or without.

Peter G. Shaw

An edit. The above does not make me an expert. I am merely offering my experiences. Others will think differently.

Edited By Peter G. Shaw on 09/01/2022 10:51:11

08/01/2022 20:59:56

Hello Howard,

As a long time caravan tower, it didn't go un-noticed by me. It's just that I get utterly bored by the negative comments about caravan towers which abound. Jeremy Clarkson being one of the chief offenders. (Mods, delete that sentence if necessary. Ta.)

Obviously, speeding by any vehicle, whether towing or not, is illegal and therefore indefensible. So what more can one say?

Regards,

Peter G. Shaw

Thread: Warco 220
04/01/2022 09:21:00

There is something odd, which frankly I haven't looked into so don't understand it, in that the two largest gears, I think it's the two largest, are stamped with a different number compared to the others. Unfortunately, they are on the machine and this morning is the coldest yet this winter! Brrrrr....

Sam,

Have you got the so-called manual that goes with the lathe? If not, then I have a copy of the original pink handbook stored on my computer complete with their version of English! It's no big deal to email it to you if you wish. I've also got a copy that Nick Farr sent me: this version being done by Warco (I presume) and is in better English and printing. I'm sure Nick won't mind me saying this.

I've also got photos, drawings, info, about some of the bits & pieces of the lathe - unlike Nick, I haven't got an album, so if you want something, ask, and if I've done it, then it's yours for the price of an email.

Cheers,

Peter G. Shaw

Thread: What do you do about cookies?
02/01/2022 11:49:02

I use Firefox which is set to delete as much as possible on cleardown, not just cookies, but history as well. In addition, when faced with the inevitable, so it seems these days, information about cookies, I always go for the least possible, often the optional ones are already deleted so it's just a case of saving that option. Of course, it means more work each time, but rather that, than give everything away to whoever.

Incidently, I also use DuckDuckGo as apparently they don't track you: I don't see that it's any business of commercial organisations where I go on the internet.

Peter G. Shaw

Edited to add 2nd paragraph.

Edited By Peter G. Shaw on 02/01/2022 11:50:43

Thread: Is there too much choice?
02/01/2022 09:05:05

Hello Clogs,

I get the picture re your wife's refusal to use DD's. I merely wondered if perchance (ooh, that's fancy isn't it) she had the same opinion about DD's as I have, but it seems that your situation is somewhat different so therefore not really comparable.

Cheers, & thanks for the reply.

Peter G. Shaw

p.s. I don't want to get into discussions about DD's. It's nothing to do with my OP.

Edited By Peter G. Shaw on 02/01/2022 09:07:34

01/01/2022 17:21:15

clogs,

As a matter of personal interest & nothing to do with my OP, why won't your wife use DD's?

Peter G. Shaw

01/01/2022 11:46:09

Do you hanker after the old days?

I have just renewed my home insurance and my landline line rental. Later in the year I will have to consider the rest of my telephone charges, and then in 12 months time, consider my electric charges when the current fixed rate ends. Along the way, I’ll reluctantly pay the BBC tax (sorry folks), renew my car insurance, my caravan insurance, road assistance membership fee, etc, etc, etc. And all the while, I will be thinking that life was much simpler 40 & more years ago when there was only one supplier of anything.

Actually, that’s not totally true, eg, house insurance used to be decided by your mortgage supplier so although there were alternatives, in effect you only had one choice.

But, when there was only the one supplier, ok there were problems, life was much simpler because you had no choice in the matter. Well, you did have choice – the alternative being to do without!

It does seem to me that for some things, gas, electric, telephone, that a single supplier could be a good idea. Yes, I know it amounts to removing choice, and leaves us subject to the vagaries of monopolies, but there are ways around that, eg totally separate organisation whose focus is only on the price the customer pays.

Yes there will be many problems, objections, but from my point of view, it would make my life considerably simpler as I would no longer have to ponder over which is the best supplier, wonder if the change to a new supplier is going to be smooth, and is the new supplier going to be satisfactory long term.

What do you think? Is our life being made unnecessarily complicated by this emphasis on choice?

Peter G. Shaw

Thread: Do you "still" enjoy driving?
01/01/2022 11:17:01

It’s been quite interesting reading the responses to my OP, and I’m pleased that there are some people who still enjoy their driving. Or riding as the case may be. FWIW, I’ve never had what I would describe as a “flash” or “fancy” car/bike, and no disrespect intended, instead I have always preferred function over “fancy”, in that other than the VW Beetle, all my cars have been vans, estate or hatchback types, and always with what could be described as “bog-standard” engines. For example, the present car is a Toyota Avensis 1.8 petrol estate, estate because of the carrying capacity, 1.8 because that was the only petrol engine available otherwise I would have had a 2 ltr (for towing reasons), petrol because when I bought it in 2013, there were problems with diesels – DMF’s, exhaust problems, and we hadn’t properly started on the anti-diesel effect then. But interestingly, it is the most powerful I’ve ever had (theoretically it should be able to do 125mph) and at the same time it is the most economical petrol car I’ve ever had (38.8mpg since new). Ok, it isn’t exactly the best at the Traffic Light Start, but it’s ok for us.

I’ve had a few motorbikes, but here again, I’ve always gone for the smaller machines, the largest being a 500cc single, or “big thumper” from Yamaha. I’ve never had more than one cylinder either.

I’ve never driven/ridden at what I would describe as excessively fast. Ok, I have exceeded the speed limit on occasion, but on the odd times that I have driven really fast, I quickly discovered that mentally I wasn’t up to it, so whilst the vehicles concerned would have done more, I couldn’t. And so I slowed down.

I quite agree that there some poor/stupid drivers around, but at the same time, I shudder at my memories of some of the daft things I have done, both deliberately and accidently. These days then, I try to learn from my mistakes, and try to drive safely whilst at the same time trying , and not always succeeding, to make allowances for others.

Happy & safe driving/riding to you all.

Peter G. Shaw

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate