By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steve Withnell

Here is a list of all the postings Steve Withnell has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What did you do today? 2023
31/05/2023 08:00:16
Posted by Dave Wootton on 30/05/2023 16:49:40:

Hi Steve

Not sure if it applies to all BTH magneto's but certainly the twin cylinder ones fitted to old British bikes, the armature must not be withdrawn without a keeper fitted to the body otherwise the magnetism will be lost. There used to be details on the Brightspark magneto website, which is full of usefull information. Who will also remagnetise it if it's too late!

Thanks Dave. I've only had the points assembly apart so far and when I turn it over I can feel a 'lumpy' resistance - which I'm optimistically thinking is magnetic, not something broken...

I'll take a look at the Bright spark website and see what they are about.

31/05/2023 07:56:34
Posted by DiogenesII on 30/05/2023 18:52:09:

I realised I don't know if the magneto is driven at the same rpm as the engine - the gearing in the mag looks like 6:1 so it should be. ChatGPT says it should be the same - but chatGPT makes stuff up.

Any experienced views?

Edited By Steve Withnell on 30/05/2023 10:51:02

Could be driven off a camshaft at half engine speed?

So then the mag would be geared up 12:1 to get 6 sparks per rev. I'll check the gearing! Thank you.

30/05/2023 10:50:45

I started the restoration of a 6 cylinder BTH magneto. Got the points and advance/retard all freed off and working. Plan is to drive it off a small electric motor as a demonstrator set.

I realised I don't know if the magneto is driven at the same rpm as the engine - the gearing in the mag looks like 6:1 so it should be. ChatGPT says it should be the same - but chatGPT makes stuff up.

Any experienced views?

Edited By Steve Withnell on 30/05/2023 10:51:02

30/05/2023 10:46:47
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 28/05/2023 12:01:17:
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 28/05/2023 00:00:14:

Seems to me that most practical men don't know how much accidents cost. Not being personally responsible makes it easy to be gung-ho about H&S. Very different when you carry the can and know fatalities cost a couple of million each. Life changing injuries are even more expensive. That's just the money, the impact of accidents on people and their families is often off-the-scale.

Dave

HSE legislation also puts board members in the dock - which is a constant threat of jail time just to keep people sharp.

Edited By Steve Withnell on 30/05/2023 10:47:19

Thread: ChatGPT incoming
29/05/2023 17:37:32
Posted by Ches Green UK on 06/01/2023 16:32:57:

It's early days yet, but I have a feeling this might not be good news for a lot of professions. On the other hand lawyers, say, could use it to prepare the reams of paperwork required for a court case.

Apparently, if asked, it can instantly write Arduino and Python code if given an objective.

Elon has constantly said that AI is potentially the biggest threat to humanity. He has been involved in the Open AI company that is currently 'containing' ChatGPT.

Ah well, 2023 could be interesting :-#

Ches.

Just last week a junior lawyer in the US was reprimanded by a judge. His case relied on 5 previous cases quoted in detail. He had used ChatGPT and ChatGPT had invented all of them. He had to "throw himself at the mercy of the Court". ChatGPT has previous at inventing stuff- if it can't generate an answer from its dataset, it just makes stuff up. It NEVER returns a 'don't know'.

Thread: Mach 3 / Sieg KX1 set up - Corrupted O/S
03/05/2023 10:44:25

Thanks for the responses, that worked just fine. Now I'll sort out my config management and backup!

Steve

02/05/2023 13:50:02

I powered up my KX1 setup yesterday and XP bluescreened. Properly.

Then I managed to ensure that the O/S was unrepairable.

The system was built on a Dell desktop using XP Service Pack 3. Mach 3 (USB config) was the original "locked down" version supplied by ArcEurotrade. It has run for quite a few years now without a hitch and has served me well.

I've put the hard drive in another XP machine of the identical specification as drive D: If I run the version of Mach3 using the command line prompt that is on the D: drive - all works fine.

Question - what directories do I need to copy across from the D drive so Mach 3 will run exactly like it has always done but from the C: drive?

Regards

Steve

Edited By Steve Withnell on 02/05/2023 13:50:56

Thread: Reamers and Gun Metal
01/09/2022 15:47:14

Thanks, lots of helpful stuff in the comments as usual. I'm going to leave it alone now! It was the material that came in the Stuart kit, but bear in mind I have had the kit a long time, maybe ten years since I started work on it and just decided it was time to get it done.

As aside, Stuart supplied 1/2 x 3/8 inch bar for the connecting rods, whereas the drawing shows 1/2 x 5/16ths. Not sure why they did that, Maccmodels stock 1/2 x 5/16ths and I used their material.

30/08/2022 21:19:23

I've just carefully drilled out to 6.3mm a piece of gunmetal bar as part of making the conrod bearing for the James Coombes. The intent was to ream to 1/4 inch.

I seem to have completely taken the edge off my reamer! Is there a particular process for reaming gun metal, or was my reamer made from chinese rice wands?

Thread: speed control board
30/08/2022 21:15:59

If that motor is only 9 Watts as per label, why not just get a lamp dimmer from B&Q?

Thread: First Steel Parts off the KX1
01/08/2022 20:25:00
Posted by JasonB on 31/07/2022 10:48:41:

It's a while since I used CUT2D, only played with that for a couple of weeks and found it too limiting for what I wanted to do. But if using that then select the profile cut and tick "do separate last cut" of say 0.2mm and also tick "3D" tabs which allows you to ramp up and back down rather than plunging.

I tend to use the free version of Fusion 360. So would create three different paths. Firstly one that picks up the two holes at the ends and use that to locate the tapped holes in my tooling block. Don't alter X & Y after this then it ensures work is lined up.

Thanks Jason - a lot of work there - much appreciated.

Now I've more time, I will go and have a more determined run at F360. CUT2D has been good to get started, but it's not going to support some of the more complex pieces I want to get to.

Regards

Steve

31/07/2022 08:40:22
Posted by JasonB on 30/07/2022 18:42:19:

Screw the work to this block and use an adaptive cut at full depth leaving 0.3mm axial stock.

Thanks Jason, that's really helpful. What do you mean by "adaptive cut"? I'm using CUT2D/Mach3.

Steve

30/07/2022 17:29:58

And the first Steam parts. After a long lay off, the James Coombes is back from under the bench and back on it.

Schoolboy error - the long rods are 1/8th thick and the short links are meant to be 1/4 inch thick. Nesting them together in 1/8th material wasn't the smartest thing I did yesterday...

I didn't cut through the material and rely on tabs, but left 5 thou to hold all the components together. I did have some tabs, but wherever the machine cut a tab, I got a machining mark in the side of the part, I still trying to work that one out. I can't see where the cutter (3mm Titain coated carbide) deflection came from to blemish the part.

Also used a slitting saw in the Warco mill, so getting all the skills warmed up

nest.jpg

link rod.jpg

Thread: Very small holes
30/07/2022 17:17:07

I have a little motor with a prop shaft which mic's up at 1.48mm. The coupler that came with it is a sloppy fit, not a good idea at 10,000 rpm.

So I turned a new one then drilled that 1.5mm. Sloppy fit.

If I was talking 14.8mm it wouldn't be a problem, but how to I get a sliding fit at the small diameter I have? I did wonder about freezing the thing and drilling it 1.4mm whilst it was very cold, but I doubt that will get me close.

Any thoughts on how I get to a true sliding fit?

Thread: Boll-Aero .49 Glow Engine
12/07/2022 15:04:53

That's delightful! What a lovely job.

Thread: Stuart Twin Victoria (Princess Royal) Mill Engine
26/09/2021 09:13:15
Posted by Dr_GMJN on 19/09/2021 07:47:40:

Talking of valve chest covers, I want to put an oiler in the middle, so am planning on leaving a circular raised face in the milled centre. I was looking at this engine last weekend:

And noticed it had an oiler on the cover as well:

It seems to have two taps, perhaps so you can oil during running. Are these available for models?

I think a single tap with a screw cap might look neater, but just wondered.

Where is the best supplier for fittings like these?

Thanks.

That oiler is a 'shapely lady' I think. For my single cyclinder victoria I made my own, which isn't too difficult. Im not an expert, but I don't think the one in the photo is big enough.

I copied mine from this engine - for scale the screws are 12BA. This link takes you to how I made the lubricator for my Victoria.

Shapely Lady

190510.jpg

Thread: What is the weight of a Myford ML10?
23/05/2021 09:08:52

I've googled around but can't find the weight of the ML10.

If I take the motor and cover panels off, take off the chuck and tailstock any estimates of the remaining weight?

TIA

Steve

Thread: A bit of a puzzle on eBay
29/04/2021 17:34:18

I think its just the boiler and water tank that's missing.

Personally, I would not give it house room.

Thread: James Coombes
24/04/2021 12:15:08

After too many years languishing under the bench, I finally pulled out my James Coombes build.

I had intended to build "to plan", unlike my Victoria, which I made substantial modifications to.

img_20210424_094743232.jpg

I was pleased to find I'd made much more progress than I remembered, but I hadn't stuck to plan! I'd never liked the table columns, it didn't seem right to transition the round columns to a square platform. Just me being a bit OCD, so I turned them from square bar, so I could create a square plinth top and bottom. I'm pleased with how they look, but it has created a fitting problem - the valve gear bearing blocks screw directly on to the threaded posts that secure the columns. Any misalignment in the thread axis is corrected by rotating the column.

I need to fix that first, before I progress.

Any ideas welcome!

Steve

Thread: Soldering Electrical Connections to NASA standard
22/04/2021 17:16:34

Perhaps I'm out of touch, but isn't lead free solder only mandated for potable water supplies? I'm still buying and using tin/lead solder for electronics. If so, then boilers for model engines should be fine with tin/lead solder (Where silver brazing isn't mandated).

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate