By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for steamdave

Here is a list of all the postings steamdave has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Problem setting up stationary engine.
26/04/2014 19:28:42

Brian

I don't know where you are located, but is there a model engineering club or another engine builder anywhere near where you live? If so, why not take your engine along and let others see first hand what the problem is. Being able to see up close and dirty will be a lot easier to diagnose the fault than trying to describe things in writing.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: What did you do today? (2014)
14/03/2014 15:56:53
Posted by JasonB on 13/03/2014 16:54:47:

As out of place on the road as a Loco build would be in MEWcheeky

J

PS hope you were not driving

Edited By JasonB on 13/03/2014 16:55:28

Oh, I thought he meant the truck!

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Thickness of Bahco Sandflex 12" hacksaw blade.
10/02/2014 17:33:45
Posted by Stub Mandrel on 10/02/2014 11:47:16:

Personally i swear by Starrett blades, when I can get them.

Neil

I swear AT Starrett blades. Bought a bunch of bi metallic ones some years ago and the teeth seem to just Fall off, regardless of the tension put on the hacksaw frame.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Has the world gone mad
23/01/2014 14:33:26

Posted by Ian S C on 23/01/2014 10:15:09:

We should be able to soon do the house lighting circuit with low voltage, maybe 6V DC or less if all the lights go LED, that might make for safety. Ian S C

'Fraid that's old hat. It was proposed in the early 80's. I remember reading an article in Pop. Science showing an 'energy saving' house built in Arizona (I think). Among the ideas was using 12v for all lighting circuits.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Name change
19/12/2013 10:42:10
Posted by blowlamp on 19/12/2013 10:17:42:

What's good enough for a Knight of the Realm is good enough for me.

Once a King, always a King.
Once a Night is enough.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: THIEL DUPLEX universal machines or bridgeport series 1
22/11/2013 22:25:27

I've had my Thiel 158 for a number of years now, and am very pleased with it. I was lucky to get a torpedo vertical head for it, the only downside to which was that it has a MT5 socketr, whereas the horizontal spindle has a Thiel taper. I made up a number of MT5 blanks which have been converted into toolholding as required.

There's a bit of backlash in the X axis, but the DRO takes care of any positioning problems.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: eBAY Charges
22/11/2013 22:08:54

Many German eBay sellers, it seems, do not accept PayPal.. When I purchased something from Germany recently, PayPal wasn't even an option. Bank transfer was how I had to do the deal. I looked at several other items for sale from different sellers and they were the same.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Knurling tool - which one to buy
03/10/2013 12:46:11

The Hemmingway Sensitive knurler is a copy of the Marlco item. The design for model engineering first appeared in EIM vol 2(?), but Hemmingway have probably 'refined' that design somewhat.

Construction was not very difficult, and this said by a metal butcher.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Best universal (horizontal + vertical) milling machine
02/10/2013 17:19:36

I'm very pleased with my Thiel 158. Fortunately, it came with all the original attachments, which is just as well because if anything can be found, it tends to be quite expensive. I removed the very suspect electrics and now run it from a 1 - 3 phase inverter. I've also added a 3 axis DRO because there is a bit of backlash, particularly in the X axis. I know I can compensate for this manually, but I'm lazy!

Originally supplied to the Armstrong Whitworth Aircraft company in 1971.

This is a Ram type machine. The vertical head stays in place when in horizontal mode. The 28 x 10" table tilts 30 degrees left/right, front back and the table is removable leaving 2 horizontal Tee slots for mounting tools, although I have never done a job that needs this facility. I would like the fixed table if I could ever find one at an economic price just for the extra real estate it provides.

The footprint for quite a large machine is moderate, but the weight of the machine bare is approximately 1.25 T. It still sits on the industrial pallet that it was delivered on, although it had chocks inserted between the top and bottom planks. I don't have the headroom to lift it off the pallet, but there has been no problem for the 10 years or so that have owned it.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Cutting Gears
27/07/2013 22:35:00
Posted by Carl Wilson 4 on 27/07/2013 21:52:34:

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

Further to my researches into gear manufacture, and to be more specific, making some imperial change gears for my Harrison M250. The Harrison change gears have a female spline as their driving feature, and I have learned from a source on the Yahoo Harrison Lathe Group that such a spline can be made using a keyway broach. This makes sense to me, but I'm wondering, does anyone have any experience in the use of keyway broaches? If so can you give me some pointers? I understand they are used in conjunction with an Arbor press. I hear this is better than using a hydraulic press as there is more feel.

Any advice gratefully received. Many thanks,

Carl.

Or you can make a simple keyway slotter to mount in the toolpost.

http://www.hemingwaykits.com/acatalog/Keyway_Slotting_Attachment.html shows a stand-alone item for a Myford lathe, but the basic idea can be adapted to fit your toolpost.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Tangential lathe tool holder
25/07/2013 16:40:01

For a Myford 7 series lathe, I found I had to crank the toolbit end down 1/4" + to be able to get the cutting edge at centre height, using a qctp.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Morse Taper Cleaner
20/07/2013 08:24:12

I use a length of natural fibre cord/thin rope with a piece of cotton rag tied in the end. Thread the rope through the mandel bore from the headstock end pull through. When the rag gets dirty, it is easily changed for a new piece.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Reilang oil cans
17/07/2013 16:01:26

I bought two 300ml ones off eBay Germany. Absolute bargain - 2 for less than the price of one new one in UK. Postage was reasonable, too. They were described as Used, but on inspection when I got them, there was no sign of any oil inside. Both have rigid spouts and I see no reason to change to the flexible type I do need to make an adapter to fit the oil nipples of my machine, though, to maximise their usefulness..

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Overhead 'crane'
05/07/2013 23:47:49

As an aging bloke, I too have the problem of lifting stuff from floor to machine.

I don't have headroom for an electric hoist a la Lidl, so after some thinking and not coming up with much in the conventional world, I finally decided on a dinghy mainsheet track and sliders, inverted from normal usage. SWL 660kgs, which is heavier than anything I will want to move. The hoist is an old Haltrac mini hoist - used to lift engines out of cars before engine cranes were thought of by amateurs. Makes light work of lifting chucks and rotary tables, etc.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Cleaning hands.
04/07/2013 23:09:36

Before starting to get my hands dirty in the workshop, I rub in some barrier cream. It really does prevent getting your hands too hard to clean afterwards. Most of the time I could get away with using soap and water, but just to make sure, I usually clean off with De-Solv It beaded hand cleaner before the soap. It is petroleum free so doesn't take all the oil out of your skin. Got it off eBay, but I think Kleenezee or one of those type of outfits sell it.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Heritage steam under coal threat
28/05/2013 12:06:54
Posted by fizzy on 28/05/2013 11:09:29:

or burn logs made of compressed old newspapers...you can get em on ebay

...or make your own. Get the grandkids to tear up the paper and then 'cast' them next time over.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: HT leads
30/04/2013 21:02:56

What has also been used is electrical test meter leads.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Tangential tool holder?
25/04/2013 21:25:40

Andrew

Whatever steel you can lay your hands on will be plenty good enough. Some have even made their holders for QCTPs out of aluminium.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Cleaning up
08/03/2013 13:34:03

To help keeping the milling machine table clean, I have made up a couple of boards that fit either side of the vice. A spine of 3/4 x 1/2" (to fit Tee slot) glued underneath keeps them in place. A couple of coats of varnish prevents oils soaking in.

They also help protect the table from accidents, like dropping cutters, etc.

Most, but not all swarf is excluded, and certainly makes cleaning up a lot faster and easier.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: New machines
26/02/2013 22:05:07

I bought a new West European milling machine a couple of years ago. It was about three times the cost of a Far East equivalent, but I doubt that it is anywhere near three times as good. In fact I would not be quick to recommend this particular make.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate