By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for steamdave

Here is a list of all the postings steamdave has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: High Speed Bench Drill?
23/04/2022 17:13:18

ega

Send me a private message with your email address and I'll send you all the info. There is too much to put here.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

23/04/2022 12:49:45
Posted by Mike Poole on 22/04/2022 21:31:28:

A sensitive feed is an important part of a high speed drilling spindle, sub millimetre drills need a high speed and sensitive feel to avoid breakage, the sensitive feel is probably more important than the optimum speed which can reach extremely high levels for non ferrous materials.

Mike

Chuck Fellows (RIP) described a small sensitive drill table and I based mine on his design.

sensitive drill table.jpg

It uses a linear bearing for the vertical slide. The screw holes are spaced to accept a Myford vice and extra counterweights are available to maintain a neutral balance. It mounts on the milling machine table or in the main vice easily. It may not suit Barry's requirements for the high speed but Mike mentioned a very valid point about sensitivity.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Edited By steamdave on 23/04/2022 12:50:15

Edited By steamdave on 23/04/2022 12:51:13

Thread: Help with choosing band saw
18/04/2022 11:34:56

I would second JB's opinion of the Femi bandsaws. Stakesy's was the cheapest place when I was looking and service was also good.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Thread with steep helix angle?
13/04/2022 11:14:19

Here's another way to make a rope knurl

http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/Projects/RopeKnurl/ropeknurl.html

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Help with Excel
03/04/2022 10:33:28

At long last, I have machined the .375" concave radius in the parts that I was making.

air chamber 3.jpg

Thanks to all the suggestions and help offered.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Ortec Digital Read Out
02/04/2022 07:48:10

Ramon

I remember those units. The scales were sourced from computer printers, but not sure about the box of tricks, but probably used some of the electronics of the printers of the day.

Doesn't help with your problem, though.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

ps Sorry, I've just noticed MG's post above!

Edited By steamdave on 02/04/2022 07:48:56

Thread: Help with Excel
21/03/2022 21:05:54

Well, there's plenty of food for thought in those replies!

Dave
The Emerald Isle

21/03/2022 16:27:01

DC I know where you are coming from, but although I'm not good with maths I can use a calculator to convert from Metric to Imperial. In the end, I doubt that a thou or two either way will be noticed after it is covered in paint. Thanks for the links.

JB Following a suggestion, I'll use a button tool to do the cutting.

Bernard. I'd thought of using a graver but access is too restricted (There are actually two parts end to end, to be split later).

Dave
The Emerald Isle

21/03/2022 14:10:56

John, I need help with both formula writing and the spreadsheet. Andy says he will send me a spreadsheet, so I'll see how that goes before getting back to you.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

21/03/2022 13:00:34

I need to machine a .375" concave arc in aluminium.

arc drawing.jpg

I consider the radius too large for a form tool because there is not a lot of metal to hold in the chuck, although the small end will be supported by a centre.

So, I would like to create a table in Excel to give me the cross slide and longitudinal infeeds. The tool width will be 3/32" and the curve will be smoothed afterwards with a file and emery cloth.

Searching Google, I can only find info on drawing freeform arcs. Can anyone explain how to make the required table, or point me to an online instruction. I don't have any CAD programmes.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Contacting YouTube contributors
01/02/2022 17:21:50

Is it possible to send a private message to a YouTube contributor?

I would like to make contact with barumman, who I believe is a member of the SMEE (and may be also a contributor on this or other model engineering forums).

If anyone knows of this gentleman, would they please point him in my direction.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Recomendations for a Keyless Chuck?
31/12/2021 07:47:30

The only disadvantage of a keyless chuck over a conventional type is that when used in the milling machine, a lot of headroom is lost.

Maybe not an issue on larger machines, but it needs to be taken into consideration on smaller hobby type mills.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: A great Victorian BRITISH Scam!
21/12/2021 14:54:14
Posted by PaulG on 21/12/2021 12:30:36:

... I have to admit that I am one of those sad people who have a (modest) collection of old sewing machines. I never cease to be amazed that on approaching 150 years of age they can still work perfectly. A tribute to the design and more importantly the suitability of the design for production in such astronomical quantities.

Last time I visited Oldway Mansion I thought an opportunity had been lost to develop the sewing machine theme further. Other interested parties (if there are any) might be interested to visit the London Sewing Machine Museum in Wimbledon when it reopens, which houses an excellent collection.

The wife of an acquaintance in Oregon has a collection of more than 100 sewing machines. All different shapes and sizes. All fully working and like you, I was amazed in the quality of the workmanship of the period.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: (again) buying new European made lathe
14/12/2021 16:30:59
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 13/12/2021 19:31:16:

It looks as if you've rather decided!

Wabeco has been advertising in ME for some years now, and though I have not seen the name mentioned by users, would think that longevity must be in their favour.

Warco usually has a good name, but I have not seen the threads you mean. Possibly some people have had unhappy experiences with their own examples but generally they are popular machine-tools, suggesting the Warco company itself is normally on top of the quality-control.

I would suggest that using the mass as a factor should be in conjunction with the volume. You do not want a lathe that is fairly light-weight because it is not very robust for its capacity.

I have a Wabeco milling machine. I bought it in favour of a far eastern equivalent because of where I live and I liked the idea of a 5 year warranty and 'German' quality. It was nearly 3 times the cost of the equivalent far eastern machine.

My machine was made in the far east and finished / checked in Germany. It was about 2 weeks over the 5 year warranty period when the European built-in inverter blew up. The UK supplier of Wabeco tools wanted £1000 for a new motor/inverter combo. What I did was buy a separate inverter for 25% of the price and wired it into the original motor. Still going strong.

Moral of the story: Just because it is labelled as 'Made in Germany', or wherever and there is a long warranty period doesn't make the tool any better than a far eastern machine.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Plans and castings
18/11/2021 18:01:01

Or, if you fancy making a Stuart engine, look on eBay for the castings. That way should get you a set at a lot less than what Stuarts are asking. If they are being sold without drawings, these are available from Stuart Models. Other designs also frequently come up for sale. Probably best to avoid part built engines, at least to start with - you never know what horrors you may come across.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: UK fires up old coal power plant as gas prices soar
04/11/2021 11:54:00
Posted by Journeyman on 04/11/2021 09:05:38:

There still seems to be very little progress towards developing tidal power in the UK. If there's one thing we have in abundance it's plenty of coastline and the tides are reliable and predictable. France has had *** La Rance Barrage *** operating for years but all we seem to have come up with is *** Salters Duck *** and that's about it.

Perhaps spend a bit more on tidal power research and less on generating hot air at COP 26frown

John

10 years or so ago, there was an experimental tidal generator in the Bay Of Fundy (Canada). Talking to crew members of the support vessel, they told me that the generator lasted about 6 months before being destroyed by boulders being washed to and fro on the tides trying to pass through the generator. Apparently, it did produce good quantities of electricity when it (briefly) worked.

On one of the previous posts about Pumped Hydro, this system, but using sea water, has been working in Okinawa for about 20 years. There is a plan to copy their design in Co. Mayo, Ireland where a lake 150m above sea level is located very close to the sea. Like most things in Ireland, it might get built one day after all the bureaucratic interference has been overcome.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Ludwig-Hunger valve seat cutter
14/10/2021 15:36:25

I had never heard of a Ludwig Hunger valve seat cutter before, so did a quick search and I found out the company is still in business.

https://www.ludwig-hunger.de/index.php/eng/Products/Automotive/Counterboring-valve-seat-ring-bores

Maybe worth contacting them.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Tundish - how to make?
28/09/2021 15:07:34

I'm not going down any sort of casting process. I've got enough processes to cope with at the moment. But thanks for your idea Tim.

Tug. I've decided on the silver soldered approach and will consider the surface finish when I've achieved a suitable shape. Probably several weeks down the line at the speed I work at.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

25/09/2021 22:21:44

Peter. I don't have a 3D printer, nor do I know anyone with one, so that idea is out.

I think I will go with my original idea and carve from the solid, cut off a slice and silver solder a flat plate where the slice was removed. The bead will be incorporated in the turning of the outside and I'll pre-solder a bead on the flat plate before securing it.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

25/09/2021 15:24:24

I've just registered with T.T., Andrew, in order to search for the topic.

Noel. The original may well have been cast, but at the scale I'm using the use of something like coarse Scotchbrite to take away the shine will probably not look too different. Besides, I have no casting facilities or experience nor is there anyone locally with such knowledge. I suppose I did ask for other ideas!

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate