Thread with steep helix angle?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Pixel_Porpoise13/04/2022 08:32:20
10 forum posts
2 photos

Hi all,

I quite like the idea of using a tap to create a rope knurl: **LINK**

Which got me wondering which thread has the steepest helix angle "built in", (that I can buy a tap of), hopefully the collective has some suggestions!

Andrew Johnston13/04/2022 08:49:02
7061 forum posts
719 photos

Simple, for any given diameter choose the smallest TPI, or largest pitch. Realistically any single start thread is unlikely to have a helix angle of more than a few degrees. If a higher helix angle is needed then it would be better to make a cutter and cut the knurls by indexing. Free hobbing with a tap is hit and miss at the best of times.

Andrew

Tim Stevens13/04/2022 10:33:47
1779 forum posts
1 photos

Threads are mainly intended to allow things to be tightened and remain tight. Friction holds things together, and the slope of the thread is low so that vibration (etc) cannot shake things loose.

But, there are threads for other purposes - I recall the both-ways threads on the spindle of a push screwdriver common in my youth*. But I guess that the threads (more likely to be called a scroll in this sort of case) were milled, rather than die-cut. Even if you could get good results with the first thread, the second is going to be difficult as you would be cutting across gaps in the metal and the die would jam.

*but - I guess - now obsolete because of cheap battery-electric drivers everywhere.

Sorry !

Tim

DC31k13/04/2022 10:36:13
1186 forum posts
11 photos

There is a compendium of thread data here in a spreadsheet form:

https://journeymans-workshop.uk/downloads.php

You can use it to calculate (an approximation*) of the helix angle (ha) of the threads.

ha = arctan(pitch/(2*major dia)

Note that it is easier to use the metric values of major dia. and pitch from the table. If you use imperial values, you have to convert tpi to pitch.

Sort the spreadsheet by calculated helix angle.

To me, the results were surprising: the lowest helix angle is something like 6" BSP - understandable because BSP is a constant pitch series above 1".

The steepest helix angle is 1/8-26 brass, which we normally think of as a fine pitch thread. Above that one is some very high number (greater than 20) BA threads.

Before I did this, my money would have been on 1/4 BSW as it is a coarse pitch for its diameter, but I was nowhere near.

* I believe helix angle is more correctly calculated at the pitch diameter, but for this exercise, we are only doing a comparison.

steamdave13/04/2022 11:14:19
526 forum posts
45 photos

Here's another way to make a rope knurl

http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/Projects/RopeKnurl/ropeknurl.html

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Hopper13/04/2022 11:25:28
7881 forum posts
397 photos

The pics linked to in the OP look like standard UNC taps were used. Looks like somewhere round 3/8 or 1/2" diameter but hard to tell with nothing in the pic to give an exact scale. BSW would give you the same pitch in most sizes as UNC.

EDIT: PS he says in a later post that the knurl wheel is made from 3/4" diameter drill rod so scaling off that in the one pic of a knurl wheel up against a tap, it looks like the tap could be as small as 1/4 or 3/8". Almost certainly UNC on that side of the pond. Looks too coarse for UNF.

You won't get much coarser threads than that in V form. High helix threads are more common in Acme or Square threads, eg the 1/2" diameter x 10tpi feedscrew on the topslide of many British lathes. Now, that's high helix angle. But you wont find it in V form threads unless maybe its a two or three start thead.

Edited By Hopper on 13/04/2022 11:31:20

Pixel_Porpoise13/04/2022 11:34:00
10 forum posts
2 photos

I should have said in my opening post that I don't have an indexing/dividing head or rotary table, having a go at the tap method is an affordable experiment.

Posted by DC31k on 13/04/2022 10:36:13:

There is a compendium of thread data here in a spreadsheet form:

https://journeymans-workshop.uk/downloads.php

You can use it to calculate (an approximation*) of the helix angle (ha) of the threads.

ha = arctan(pitch/(2*major dia)

Note that it is easier to use the metric values of major dia. and pitch from the table. If you use imperial values, you have to convert tpi to pitch.

Sort the spreadsheet by calculated helix angle.

To me, the results were surprising: the lowest helix angle is something like 6" BSP - understandable because BSP is a constant pitch series above 1".

The steepest helix angle is 1/8-26 brass, which we normally think of as a fine pitch thread. Above that one is some very high number (greater than 20) BA threads.

Before I did this, my money would have been on 1/4 BSW as it is a coarse pitch for its diameter, but I was nowhere near.

* I believe helix angle is more correctly calculated at the pitch diameter, but for this exercise, we are only doing a comparison.

Just what I was hoping to find out, thank you! :D

Thanks for all the suggestions

Speedy Builder513/04/2022 11:41:33
2878 forum posts
248 photos

Glass bottle threads are probably the coarsest "popular" thread especially the ancient ones. After that, Eddison light bulb threads. Nowhere near a rope twist though!

Pixel_Porpoise13/04/2022 11:43:13
10 forum posts
2 photos
Posted by Hopper on 13/04/2022 11:25:28:

The pics linked to in the OP look like standard UNC taps were used. Looks like somewhere round 3/8 or 1/2" diameter but hard to tell with nothing in the pic to give an exact scale. BSW would give you the same pitch in most sizes as UNC.

EDIT: PS he says in a later post that the knurl wheel is made from 3/4" diameter drill rod so scaling off that in the one pic of a knurl wheel up against a tap, it looks like the tap could be as small as 1/4 or 3/8". Almost certainly UNC on that side of the pond. Looks too coarse for UNF.

You won't get much coarser threads than that in V form. High helix threads are more common in Acme or Square threads, eg the 1/2" diameter x 10tpi feedscrew on the topslide of many British lathes. Now, that's high helix angle. But you wont find it in V form threads unless maybe its a two or three start thead.

Edited By Hopper on 13/04/2022 11:31:20

Nice working out, thanks

Yes, I was googling leadscrew threads the other day which lead me down this train of thought, taps (when available) are a bit pricy for an experiment.

Andrew Johnston13/04/2022 11:55:57
7061 forum posts
719 photos

When I made the worm wheel for my traction engine governor I used a 7/16" UNC spiral flute tap, quite coarse for the size at 14tpi:

hobbing worm wheel me.jpg

Tap was bought secondhand on Ebay for a few pounds.

Andrew

Pixel_Porpoise13/04/2022 12:58:40
10 forum posts
2 photos

Great photo Andrew! Thanks

bernard towers13/04/2022 16:41:09
1221 forum posts
161 photos

For rope knurls a look at Clickspring will help.

Howard Lewis13/04/2022 17:36:23
7227 forum posts
21 photos

A possibility?

For a coarse adjustment, I cut a 4 mm pitch thread with a semi circular form.

Would a multiple start version produce the sort of thing that you want?

Howard

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate